RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to update MAP data on 2011 RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 06:10 AM
GChrome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to update MAP data on 2011 RX450h

Let say I can get my hands on one of those USB keys that have the latest MPA data for my 2011 RX450h. Is there any tutorial on how to actually update the maps, or does this HAVE to be done at the dealer?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 10-24-14, 06:19 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It is very simple. Find a closest dealer. They will be able to get new maps installed based on the USB key you bought. Expect to spend about $150 in labor.
Lexus Nav units are not self-updatable. Their tech hasn't caught up with the 21st century yet.

It took 2 trips, one of which was overnight, to get the maps updated in mine. Got a loaner both times. But that was a complimentary update that I got out of Lexus because the maps were really out of date on a brand new vehicle. Not that they got that current after the update.
Old 10-24-14, 08:35 AM
GChrome
Driver School Candidate

No one has done this themselves on here???
Old 10-24-14, 09:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Nope, not since Lexus went to USB. You can buy the update for less than $100 from CL sponsor, Sewell. Then add the labor cost. I can't see it taking more than 1/2 hour but they probably charge an hour. I plan on doing this next month when I get the 450h serviced.
Old 10-24-14, 10:19 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GChrome
I recall that someone on the forums was able to do it themselves, but it was difficult and not worth the effort. Even dealerships have problems updating the software.

If you want to learn more, recommend you look up threads with the word 'techstream'. This is the software that Lexus uses for multiple configuration options, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of an interest on it on the forums.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 10-24-14, 11:37 AM
GChrome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I recall that someone on the forums was able to do it themselves, but it was difficult and not worth the effort. Even dealerships have problems updating the software.

If you want to learn more, recommend you look up threads with the word 'techstream'. This is the software that Lexus uses for multiple configuration options, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of an interest on it on the forums.

Good luck,
Eric
Wow, I'm shocked! I'm a software developer and a tech guy, so I could prolly handle connecting a laptop to my vehicle and using some software ('techstream'), I'm FLOORED it is not a hot topic on here, too bad!
Old 10-24-14, 12:13 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It requires Techstream software and cable. Very few people will have access to those.

P.S.
A cable with questionable software can be found on ebay and other online places for less than $20.
Old 10-24-14, 06:47 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When I got my free update, I watched the tech. He gets the key (a USB flash drive) from parts and plugs it into his shop computer (that's plugged into your car). The shop computer connects to a server somewhere in the ether and verifies the key then downloads the upgrade to your car's 'puter. The parts dept issued the code (different each time). It's pretty much fool proof now re: cheating and using a disk which can be duped. Gotta pay to play . This started with the Gen III models.
Old 10-27-14, 10:37 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Let say I can get my hands on one of those USB keys that have the latest MPA data for my 2011 RX450h. Is there any tutorial on how to actually update the maps, or does this HAVE to be done at the dealer?

Thanks in advance for your help!
The problem is, the usb drive doesn't contain the actual map data. It's just a software key. The actual map data has to be downloaded via the Techstream laptop.
Old 10-27-14, 03:59 PM
mohrd
Driver

Originally Posted by offroad200
The problem is, the usb drive doesn't contain the actual map data. It's just a software key. The actual map data has to be downloaded via the Techstream laptop.
I believe that's how it was explained to me when the dealership buggered up my and then their own USB Drive. The USB drive is a key and the actual Map data comes from their hard drive which comes from "?". As well they need Techstream to update firmware before they can do the NAV update.

I think they have us on this one. No homemade work around.
Old 11-02-14, 08:39 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had our 2010 RX-350 updated. It was two versions old from the previous owner. Pretty much described to me the same way. It takes a USB key and the Service Tool / Laptop to down load the software. The dealer gave me a loaner to run my errands and couple hours later they were done. Cost $99 for the software and $125 for an hour labor.
Old 11-04-14, 06:20 PM
svidas
Rookie

I had a service appointment with my 2010 RX450h and they were out of the 2014 update keys which they say are on back order.
Old 11-05-14, 07:17 PM
Jamessasso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is as far as I know completely not doable on your own. Without a tech stream and update tool you can't do it
Old 11-10-14, 12:23 PM
widmark
6th Gear

Default Firmware Update Changelog?

I have a 2010 RX350 that hasn't had a software update for 2 or 3 years. My iPhone 6 doesn't work as well as it should using the direct USB connection. Often you can play a podcast or song, but pausing or changing songs/pcast often results in a hung up audio screen.

I am aware bluetooth can be used instead. However, audio through the USB is higher quality than through bluetooth.

In addition to fixing this issue in firmware (I hope), wondering if there is a change log showing dates/changes in firmware. I assume the dealer will charge me to update the firmware and I am trying to find out if it is worth it.

Thanks
Old 11-10-14, 12:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

widmark, I suggest you take a look at this thread. Early 2010s had an issue with iPods. The top song would play while scrolling through a list. Lexus issued a TSB to fix it. While I'm not sure if it'll help with your iPhone, it's worth a shot. And yes, there is a way to check which firmware version you have. I think instructions are linked in the thread above.

Quick Reply: How to update MAP data on 2011 RX450h