RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Calling all Canadians w 2010 RX350 Sport package...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 10:30 PM
metalicRED
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Canadians w 2010 RX350 Sport package...

Am about to close a deal on a Japan made (early in 09) 2010 RX350 with the sport package and v low miles- 19,750KM. Am looking for thoughts, concerns, suggestions that I should keep my eyes open for??

So far the Lexus Dealer has the beast and is fixing some elec. CPU issue to do with the Nav. and Radio. Hoping this has no hidden meaning? ie: a rats nest of electrical problems.

18" wheels w Yokohama tires should smooth out any rough spots in the 'sport tuned' aspect of things and the heads up display proves that it's the Sport version sold in Canada. Have not been able to go for any super long test drives so am unable to reference any noise problems that seem to be talked about ad nauseam on this forum; should I? Got to call 'done deal' sooner or later or we'll be reading, worrying, re-reading and freaking out till the cows come home.

Also- going to check the front window glass for 'LAMINATE', next week.

Last edited by metalicRED; 10-18-14 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-19-14, 05:13 AM
recycled
Rookie

If it was me my immediate concern would be why so many problems with so low mileage. Why not go for a Lexus that has less problems to begin with? Perhaps this is what you want because it is cheaper? I have no idea of your budget but it is probably off warranty?

Why are you fixated on this one? On rereading the problems seem minimal but could have implications.Test drive a few. Do not be in a hurry to buy. And a PPI is recommended before purchase.

Cheers, Guy.

Cheers, Guy
Old 10-19-14, 09:46 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

metalicRED,
It's been my experience that if it doesn't feel right, and I find myself wondering if I'm doing the right thing, it's best to take a pass and move on to something else. I'm wary of low mileage cars, especially one with known issues. There's a reason this car sat in the garage for a long time.
Ray
Old 10-19-14, 10:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

You're aware of the laminate/lamisafe side glass which is good. Also pay attention to any steering column looseness or rattles, rear brake clicking (low click noise can happen and is normal when reversing and braking), and rear seat rattle when unoccupied. Test the power hatch opens and closes smoothly.

Ask what the electrical repair is. It could be as simple as an ECU software upgrade.

As a tip, since the RX is almost 5 years old, as part of the deal, have them put in a new car battery and new key fob batteries to avoid any car starting problems this winter. And have them update the Nav to the latest map. Finally, if Carproof checks out and you're satisfied with the test drive and price, you'll be fine with this purchase.

Good luck.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-19-14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 03:23 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I wouldn't let the mileage alone be a concern. Some of us just don't put a lot of miles on our cars. Our RX is coming up on two years now and has just under 3K miles on it. My wife and I carpool in a Prius due to gas mileage considerations, and only drive the RX on weekends or days one of us has a doctor's appointment.

There can be many reasons for the low mileage and it doesn't mean the vehicle has been sitting around. We make sure to get ours out at least once a week so it isn't just sitting around. In my opinion, whoever got our 9 year old 2004 RX with 27k miles got a steal of a deal, so I have no reason to assume this wouldn't be an equally good deal at least in terms of the mileage consideration. I cannot speak for the electrical work or any other issues unique to the 2010MY.

Doug
Old 10-19-14, 05:14 PM
metalicRED
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys- big day tomorrow... L Day; RX350 supposed to be ready for us on the 20th. Have notified dealer that we need another scoot around the block to ease our minds on the Sport Suspension and they have assured us that the windows are re and re-ed with the acoustic LAMINATE ones. Went and picked up the manuals for the car and enjoyed some very light reading today. Looks like there is going to be one heck of a lot to learn about this Technological Wonder. Nav. alone represents one whole book!

corradoMR2- new battery is in the deal; key fog batteries are a good idea. Thanks.

raylor4- have owned $5000 cars for the past 40 years; this however is a new frontier for us. The previous owner owned 2 Lexus and only used this one to take his leaves to the garden waste.

recycled- yes this RX bumper to bumper warrantee has expired but the drive train factory warrantee is still in place till June 2015. And yes, we are fixated on this car... how could we not be--- Matador RED Mica with Sport package and 19,750KM on her shinning hide. Wonderful. How often does something like this come my way?

Ward6096- thanks for the encouragement; my thoughts as well. Just trying to do a good job of my due diligence.

FINALLY- these are my first ever responses to a Post and I am very thankful to all of you. I intend to make our beautiful Lexus much more than a form of transportation; a hobby perhaps. This comprehensive and informative Forum is a real motivator and it's fun to be apart of Club Lexus.

Will keep you informed as to our new car progress...
Old 10-19-14, 06:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

metalicRed. good luck tomorrow. Just one note, dealers like to overinflate the tires so bring a tire gauge to make sure it's to specs. The sport package came with 19" rims. I guess the former owner swapped them out for 18"s. It'll definitely affect the ride. Sandi_k, the other member who has a 350 with the sport package had the Yokohama Paradas on hers. She got 65K miles of them. Not bad. I almost went with them myself until the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes caught my eye. Drive the RX for a while over different surfaces. Take a few spirited turns. There should be minimal body roll. It's a nice feature of going with the sport package. And make sure the nav/radio works ok too.

Don't worry I'll give you a week to study the manuals before your test Seriously, the best thing to do is sit in the RX and scroll through the different screens. Have fun.
Old 10-19-14, 07:55 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

raylor4- have owned $5000 cars for the past 40 years; this however is a new frontier for us. The previous owner owned 2 Lexus and only used this one to take his leaves to the garden waste.

I'm so glad to hear that. Sounds like you have found a treasure.
Ray
Old 10-19-14, 08:58 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am curious how a car manufactured in early '09 is a MY 10.
I think I would check the VIN placard (I think on the driver's door frame) for both mfg date and model year.
Old 10-20-14, 05:00 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
I think I would check the VIN placard (I think on the driver's door frame) for both mfg date and model year.
The 2010 RX was introduced much earlier in the 2009 calendar year, like April or May, 2009 or something, since it was a new generation (instead of the usual September). Our 2010 was built (in Japan) in March of 2009.

I'm expecting Lexus to do another early introduction with the MY 2016, as it too will be a new generation RX.
Old 10-20-14, 08:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The first RX was introduced in April 1998 as a 1999 so early spring is typical for Lexus.
Old 10-20-14, 08:53 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info re MY change. I am more used to the LS which generally change in Aug.
Old 10-20-14, 09:43 PM
metalicRED
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gene01
Got the service records from Lexus; PDI and Detail was performed 04/24/2009, first owner picked it up 05/05/2009 (11KM); yup- pretty darn early for a 2010 model. VIN has 10th digit A, which refers to 2010 and the first 3 digits are JTJ- made in Japan. This morning I called Lexus Canada and they have again assured me that the Sport Package is installed on the car; seems to be some confusion with the salespeople on that topic. They also said that the Sport Package was an option of the Touring Package- this is the first time I've heard it put that way! Can't wait to get her home so I can really see what I've got here. Been in their shop getting it's fix since our test drive 2 weeks ago!

BTW- did not get my car today after all. Why? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 10-21-14, 03:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sorry you didn't pick it up today. Keep us updated.
Old 10-21-14, 10:45 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As Anita said, the Sport package came with 19" wheels - makes for great cornering, but a harsher ride.

Are you planning on replacing the existing 19" wheels with 18" wheels? Or did the first owner already do that? If so, that would presumably bring the value of the car down. (But it would be a smoother ride, presumably)...

As you can see by checking my posts from 2009, we were shocked by how hard the RX rode with the original Dunlop tires. Break in, lower pressure in the tires, and getting used to it helped. And then changing out the Dunlops for Parada Specs helped enormously.

Looking forward to seeing another Red Mica with Sport package on the forums; welcome!

Sandi