RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Snow chains vs snow cables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 03:26 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We use the Subaru Outback for snow driving in the mountains with tire chains.
Old 12-14-14, 07:15 PM
DoggieDays
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoggieDays
I'm traveling to South Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area this winter. I have an RX F Sport (it's AWD) with all season tires. Would I still need to carry snow chains if warnings say chains required except for 4wheel or AWD? My RX is equipped with all season and not snow tires so I'm not sure if this makes a difference to cal trans.
Would anyone have some information?
Old 12-14-14, 09:07 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggieDays
Would anyone have some information?
Copied from CalTrans page:
Chain Requirements:

R1: Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.
R2: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)This answers your question.
R3: Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Personally, I carry snow cables in my AWD JIC. I've never had to chain up AWD, but one never knows. If conditions are so bad that AWD vehicles need chains, you would probably turn around anyway.

Have fun at the Tahoe Ski Areas.
Ray A. Epic Local Pass Holder
Old 12-14-14, 09:12 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by DoggieDays:
I'm traveling to South Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area this winter. I have an RX F Sport (it's AWD) with all season tires. Would I still need to carry snow chains if warnings say chains required except for 4wheel or AWD? My RX is equipped with all season and not snow tires so I'm not sure if this makes a difference to cal trans.

You will be glad you have AWD on 50 to South Lake Tahoe during a snow storm. If you are going to Kirkwood, there are TWO chain control places between the foothills and Kirkwood. Good luck, have fun, let us know how things go for you.
AWD vehicles are required to carry traction devices in chain control areas, per CalTrans.
Ray A.
Old 12-14-14, 09:24 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven with cables before. I think AWD and cables both help with getting my car moved, but only cables help with braking (a lot!)
Old 12-15-14, 09:09 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by tqh
I've driven with cables before. I think AWD and cables both help with getting my car moved, but only cables help with braking (a lot!)
You are absolutely right. AWD without traction devices are great for going forward and steering, but many inexperienced drivers find out quickly that without cables or chains, the stopping distance is greatly increased. I've driven this route, 50 & 80 to Tahoe, many times in the snow and there are always thoughtless people in AWD vehicles speeding and passing in the snow. They usually end up in the ditch facing the wrong way or worse.
Point being, not advised to go over 30 MPH in the snow no matter what.
Ray A.
Old 02-06-15, 12:29 AM
AWaterbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much clearance does my RX 450h AWD with 235/55-19 tires have around it? Do I need low-profile cables? I'm looking at these three products from SCC:
  1. Z-575 Z-575
    , no tightener required. I have a set of SZ435 cables from my dearly departed X5, but they don't fit my RX tires.
  2. Super Z6, SZ429 Super Z6, SZ429
    , low profile, for vehicles with limited clearance around tires
  3. ZT729 Super Z ZT729 Super Z
    , looks a lot like Super Z-6, but $7 cheaper

Will any of these work? Also, page 281 of the manual says "Install tire chains on the front tires only. Do not install tire chains on the rear tires."

Does this change with an AWD vehicle?

Last edited by kitlz; 02-06-15 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 03:12 PM
AWaterbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AWaterbug
ZT729 Super Z, looks a lot like Super Z-6, but $7 cheaper
Well, it looks like nobody loves me , but I ordered these ones, and they're "out for delivery" as we speak.

I'm driving up to Mammoth on Thursday, but there's no snow in the forecast this weekend. If I get surprised and have to use the chains, I'll let everyone know how it worked out.
Old 12-02-15, 06:53 PM
RX400hSNOW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if I can use Z-Chains on RX 400h with 18" tires? The dealership claims spider spikes are my only option since regular chains might interfere (or even cut) the brake lines. I'm not quite ready to invest $500 in the spikes and would love to find another option.
Old 12-02-15, 07:02 PM
RX400hSNOW
Driver School Candidate

Finally a helpful post. Please let me know if you had to use the Z-Chains and how well they worked. I'm thinking about ordering some.
Old 12-02-15, 11:45 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

I've used Z-Chains on snow before, very effective. Putting them on takes practice if you've never done it before.

I have a pair of autosocks that I haven't field tested so I don't know how effective they are. What I like about them is if they break they won't cause a lot of damage to the car. They just got approved by CA DOT this year to be used in chain control areas (http://www.autosock.us/california-approval/)
Old 12-03-15, 05:44 PM
RX400hSNOW
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thanks for the reply. I researched both quite a bit last night and some of the Z-Chain review say the product breaks easy and can damage the break line, which is what the dealership is telling me. I really like the AutoSock idea but supposedly they break and don't really work well when driving up/down hill so I'm not sure what to do.
Old 12-05-15, 03:44 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Which type of chains does the dealership recommend you?
Chains do break, but I think the chance is pretty low unless you drive over 30 or on dry surface. Sounds like you have to do a lot of snow driving? My take is maybe just give autosock a try, if it works well enough for you, good! Otherwise if it breaks (still won't damage your car) or not work you can go back and research chains.
Old 12-06-15, 06:32 PM
RX400hSNOW
Driver School Candidate

The dealership recommends snow spikes as the only option but I am not ready to invest $680 since I'll only be needing them for the weekends and we don't even get that much snow on the road. We ski at Mt. Hood in Oregon. Would you please field test them and let me know.
Old 12-06-15, 06:51 PM
RX400hSNOW
Driver School Candidate

I finally watched their product video and ordered it. It looks like it should work well for what I need it for. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Snow chains vs snow cables?