RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX vs 2015 NX vs 2016 RX help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 06:16 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX vs 2015 NX vs 2016 RX help!

So I seem to be stuck in a rut. I was waiting to pick up an RX and move out of my IS350 very shortly. I need the space as I have an 18 month old and am expecting another in March. Having two carseats in the back is just too much cramping in my IS.

Now the dilemma. I really like the current gen RX because of the huge amount of space in the rear seats. I can get two carseats in there and can still move my seat pretty far back. I've checked out the MDX with its third row and absolutely hated how little space I got in the 2nd row because they had to push it up to make room for the 3rd row. I'm worried that the same thing is going to happen with the third row in the 2016 RX redesign.

I also looked into the NX, well as much as I could with the info that has been spoiled, and I'm also worried that it won't be as big as the current RX. I really do like the tech that is coming out with these new cars though. I love tech in my cars

So now I'm stuck! Do I buy an RX now while it's a 2 seater and slightly bigger than the NX that's coming out, or do I just wait for the new NX/RX and pick between those two?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-29-14, 06:38 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you need is 2 cars seats and some room for your seat to be back, the NX should be fine. I got to drive this car in Seattle about a month ago at a preview event. The interior room is pretty close to and rx. Maybe 5-7% smaller. I don't think you would have a problem. From all the info I gathered from the Higher-Up's talking about the new RX, it will not get a 3rd row. It sounds like they are going to introduce a new model, possibly a TX, that will be a larger SUV, but build on a unibody platform like the RX, not the body on frame GX. I just want to let you know that the NX, although an SUV, does not ride at all like the RX. It's handling and road feel is much closer to the new IS.
Old 09-29-14, 07:01 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
If all you need is 2 cars seats and some room for your seat to be back, the NX should be fine. I got to drive this car in Seattle about a month ago at a preview event. The interior room is pretty close to and rx. Maybe 5-7% smaller. I don't think you would have a problem. From all the info I gathered from the Higher-Up's talking about the new RX, it will not get a 3rd row. It sounds like they are going to introduce a new model, possibly a TX, that will be a larger SUV, but build on a unibody platform like the RX, not the body on frame GX. I just want to let you know that the NX, although an SUV, does not ride at all like the RX. It's handling and road feel is much closer to the new IS.
Thanks for the response. I actually was looking forward to a more luxurious, muted road response with the family, as opposed to my IS 350 sport right now. I personally enjoy it, but I'll just come back to that kind of car in a decade or so

That's interesting. Most of what I've read so far seemed to indicate that the RX is getting a third row, although it's definitely baffing as to why, seeing how it's the best selling lexus. I guess I can just wait and see what gets revealed in the upcoming year. Hopefully they start divulging details soon.
Old 09-29-14, 07:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nezumi
Thanks for the response. I actually was looking forward to a more luxurious, muted road response with the family, as opposed to my IS 350 sport right now. I personally enjoy it, but I'll just come back to that kind of car in a decade or so

That's interesting. Most of what I've read so far seemed to indicate that the RX is getting a third row, although it's definitely baffing as to why, seeing how it's the best selling lexus. I guess I can just wait and see what gets revealed in the upcoming year. Hopefully they start divulging details soon.
RX wont get 3rd row... it will grow a bit, but not much... they will introduce TX with 3rd row, but not sure exactly when.
Old 09-29-14, 11:57 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no need to make your decision now. I would wait until the NX come out and decide. It's hard to get all the facts straight from just video reviews without actually driving one.

Based on your preference for luxury and roominess it sounds like the RX is more of your suv. I, on the other hand, drove the new IS350 for two days and I loved it. Will wait for the new NX to see how close its handling to the IS and then perhaps trade my fsport for it.

Last edited by sc400; 09-29-14 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 02:36 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

2 really young kids? My opinion is stay with RX, you'll want every millimeter of space you can get. I haven't personally seen the NX, but if it is indeed 5% to 7% smaller, you'll appreciate the extra room 5X more than someone without small kids, so mathematically, you can consider the RX to "seem" 25% to 35% larger
Old 09-29-14, 02:55 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
2 really young kids? My opinion is stay with RX, you'll want every millimeter of space you can get. I haven't personally seen the NX, but if it is indeed 5% to 7% smaller, you'll appreciate the extra room 5X more than someone without small kids, so mathematically, you can consider the RX to "seem" 25% to 35% larger
I agree; we saw an NX at a preview with the RX right next to it in the show room. I think it's considerably smaller than the numbers mentioned earlier. The back seat was snug with my Wife and I in there and the display model didn't have a sunroof. I've also heard of issues getting into and out of the back seat. Although I didn't experience that and I'm 6', pulling kids in and out might be an issue for you. All the accoutrements necessary for 2 kids might consume most of the space behind the NX sea as well. I'm not a parent, but that would be a consideration for me.

But it's your choice, and as mentioned earlier, wait a few months to see the NX for yourself. I hear the '16 RX wouldn't be out until fall of 15; later than usual.
Old 09-29-14, 06:22 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be little discounting on the NX for the 1st year or for the 2016 RX. The best deal will be the 2015 RX.
Old 09-29-14, 08:35 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If you want a good feel for the size, it is comparable to the first gen RX300. This is a tough situation since I personally would not want to purchase the 2015 RX as it is in its last model year. Doesn't really make sense if you are one to like the latest and greatest, nor does it make sense logically in terms of depreciation and resale value. The videos I have seen on the NX reveal that it should be enough space for a small up and coming family. Sometimes I feel the RX is too big for my needs.
Old 09-30-14, 12:12 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I read a first drive review on the NX. The reviewer summed up the SUV as an 85% solution: size, Lexus experience, driving experience and overall. This is about what I expected after recent HS, CT releases and I guess about what makes sense. I will go down and look at it when it is convenient, but have greatly reduced interest in the NX.

On the 2015 vs 2016 RX, I would soldier on with your IS until the discounts start on the 2016 RX. Who knows when that will occur, but I expect in July or so next year. If you don't need to have the latest and greatest, then there will probably be some exceptional deals on the 2015's. But, I definitely think getting in on the new model and driving the current body style for five years is the winning strategy when spending this kind of money.

Sometimes luxury cars and kids are not the most cost effective solution. I purchased a Subaru Outback for fun adventures where my RX made no sense. It has surprised me by being a really great car. Subaru has a new Outback design for 2015 and I was down looking at it this evening. You can get a fully equipped Limited with a deal in the $30k range. HWY mileage rating of 33MPG ... on my Outback I can easily get 2 - 4 MPG above EPA.
Old 10-01-14, 07:36 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Thanks for all of the responses everyone, really appreciate it.

I am basically looking for the most room without going to a third row (or a minivan) so the RX sounds like it might be the best for me since I do value the space.

I am also a sucker for the latest and greatest which is why I haven't purchased a 2015 RX already. I think I will probably wait for the 2016s but I don't know if I'll wait until they get super discounted. As long as I don't pay MSRP I should be fine. I have no idea what new tech they're going to include, but I can assume it's going to be better than the 2015s. However, I don't know if I need all of the bells and whistles. I doubt they're going to have apple carplay which is really the only new tech that seems amazing to me.

I definitely am still wavering between a cheaper car for two kids as they will most likely trash it, but at the same time, I've been driving luxury cars for almost a decade now and I am really used to a lot of the comforts they provide. I'm not sure I want to give them up just to protect the car. Maybe I just need rear seat covers and all weather mats :P
Old 10-02-14, 09:52 AM
recycled
Rookie

I waited until the NX was on display in September before I decided whether I was going to order it or buy a used RX 350.

Lots of electronics in the NX(of course it was a high end one on display). I noticed the size was about the size of a RAV4. I think for a family of 4 it seems small. For my wife and it would be fine but we decided on a 2011 RX 350 because it has lots of space for travelling or hauling stuff. Gas mileage is not great on the RX - about 20 mpg so far. No doubt the NX would be a lot better with a turbo.IThe Rx 350 is super smooth on the highway and the seats are comfortable.

Whatever Lexus you decide on I am sure you will enjoy. I have had the RX for a week now and really enjoy it.
Cheers, Guy
Old 10-02-14, 10:50 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I say wait until the NX comes out. I had a chance to see both NXs at the NY Auto Show. The size is about comparable to the original RX300. Cargo area is a decent size. But I couldn't actually get close to it. Soon though. Having owned all three gens, the 3RX is definitely the roomiest. Who knows what will happen with the 4RX. They normally launch in spring, I just don't see that happening until later next year. If you like the 3RX after trying the NX, take a look at 2015 pricing thread or maybe wait until "December to Remember." Best of luck in your decision and congratulations.
Old 10-03-14, 12:31 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty sure it will be an RX, because I want the cushier ride and the roomier cabin as well as the cargo capacity. Real question is, what goodies will come on a 2016 redesign as opposed to just a minor update in 2015 over 2014.
Old 10-03-14, 12:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hard to say what goodies the 2016 RX will have. Take a look at this thread for some ideas.

Quick Reply: 2015 RX vs 2015 NX vs 2016 RX help!