RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX350 front bumper crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 06:27 PM
willdwh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 front bumper crash

it's my unlucky day!!! I crashed my aunt's car when I trying to parking into the garage. It can pay by insurance but I feel so guilty and I am want to find somewhere to repair it and pay by myself (I live in Saratoga CA)..

I've no idea how much it may cost so I need you guys help to estimate the price. Then I will check with dealer see how much they quote.

Im new residence in US and I have very rare knowledge about the whole process of car prepairng would someone kindly give some information about this please? thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-14, 06:40 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ouchhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-22-14, 07:54 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bumper repair

Wenhui, welcome to the forum but wished it were under better circumstances. Anyway, it's hard to tell from the photograph exactly what is needed but I feel like you should be able to minimize the cost out of your pocket. Check locally if there are some good 'old fashioned' auto body people in your area. They can do wonders. If so, see if they can securely refasten the bumper cover so it doesn't look miss aligned. If so, then they'll be able to correct the paint and scrape issue pretty easily. If you go to your insurance company they'll authorize a new bumper cover plus paint booth and any other damaged parts they can find whether they need replacing or not.

I recently scraped the right rocker panel on my Vette on a curb and being fiberglass it messed it up pretty good. Body shop figure was near 3 grand w/parts & labor. I had it fixed for $400 (out of pocket) and you can't tell anything at all was amiss.

Good luck and keep us informed please.
Old 09-22-14, 09:23 PM
willdwh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Wenhui, welcome to the forum but wished it were under better circumstances. Anyway, it's hard to tell from the photograph exactly what is needed but I feel like you should be able to minimize the cost out of your pocket. Check locally if there are some good 'old fashioned' auto body people in your area. They can do wonders. If so, see if they can securely refasten the bumper cover so it doesn't look miss aligned. If so, then they'll be able to correct the paint and scrape issue pretty easily. If you go to your insurance company they'll authorize a new bumper cover plus paint booth and any other damaged parts they can find whether they need replacing or not.

I recently scraped the right rocker panel on my Vette on a curb and being fiberglass it messed it up pretty good. Body shop figure was near 3 grand w/parts & labor. I had it fixed for $400 (out of pocket) and you can't tell anything at all was amiss.

Good luck and keep us informed please.
tks "cruiter" for your reply. i'm so happy to see your useful advice. I believe your suggestion works however if I just put it on and painted even it looks same as it was. I will feel so embarrassed and won't be able to face my aunt if some day she eventually find it. so maybe it still need to replace a new front bumper...

Thanks again Cruiter, I'm searching the auto body shop nearby. sure I will keep all fellows update
Old 09-22-14, 09:49 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by willdwh
tks "cruiter" for your reply. i'm so happy to see your useful advice. I believe your suggestion works however if I just put it on and painted even it looks same as it was. I will feel so embarrassed and won't be able to face my aunt if some day she eventually find it. so maybe it still need to replace a new front bumper...

Thanks again Cruiter, I'm searching the auto body shop nearby. sure I will keep all fellows update
I recommend you tell your Aunt after it's fixed. That way you won't have to carry the worry of wondering if she'll notice. Keep your side of the street clean. Chances are she dinged someone's car in the past too and won't blame you. Hang in there. I think we've all been there.
Old 09-22-14, 10:39 PM
willdwh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raylor4
I recommend you tell your Aunt after it's fixed. That way you won't have to carry the worry of wondering if she'll notice. Keep your side of the street clean. Chances are she dinged someone's car in the past too and won't blame you. Hang in there. I think we've all been there.
sure, I will let her know.. just feel guilty if not return the car to her in one piece. As you said, fixed it and say sorry...
Old 09-23-14, 03:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

willdwh, a good body shop should be able to fix the damage. Unfortunately accidents happen. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're sorry and will take responsibility. Now tell your aunt and let go of the guilt. Good luck.
Old 09-23-14, 06:02 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe next time your aunt will get Parking Sensors. Those would have screamed at you that you were too close, and as long as you were going slow enough you would have stopped and corrected in time.
Wish you the best of luck, and I agree - let go of the guilt. It doesn't appear to be major, but the cost may surprise you. Don't find a back alley guy that does work on the side.
Old 09-23-14, 11:02 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
Maybe next time your aunt will get Parking Sensors.
I could be wrong...................... but I believe you can see parking sensors in his photo's.
Old 09-23-14, 12:33 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by azinn
I could be wrong...................... but I believe you can see parking sensors in his photo's.
i see one in that photo
Old 09-23-14, 12:56 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well heck - I guess my sight is truly going away in my old age.
Old 09-23-14, 05:28 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will buff out....seriously...
Old 09-23-14, 07:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

From my experience the damage is easily repairable as it's superficial. If bumper clip is still intact (hard to tell), you can snap the cover back in. Else, a new clip is required and some labor to dismantle just the side-front portion of the bumper is what's required. ~1-2 hr job.

As for the scratches, if they don't buff out with a scratch remover or light compound, you can get just that side bumper section repainted. A professional will flare the paint towards the front avoiding a full bumper repaint saving on time and cost. This is a smallish ~1-2 hr job over a 1-2 day duration (paint and top coat curing time), about $250-$300.

If you're quoted more than $500-$600 for both repairs, run away from that repair shop. This is a minor repair. Don't sweat it.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-14, 10:16 PM
willdwh
Driver School Candidate

tks ALL for kind reply and suggestion. great help indeed. ALL noted and tomorrow I will go to some body shops for estimation. hope the price is fair and will not take too long..
update you later...