RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hi and let me intro myself...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 07:04 AM
recycled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi and let me intro myself...

I have just sold my 2001 Porsche Boxster and am looking for an suv used that is going to be hopefully reliable. Mid month the NX comes out and I will check that out and I will likely go with the RX350(about 2011). Why? The latter is bigger and more car for the $$$.

My dealership has 21 used RX 350's on the lot. Lots to choose from. If I decide on the RX350 which comes with a two year power train warranty should I be checking the oil filter for metal? Coming off a Porsche that was the normal procedure! I will get a PPI done before committing to the one I am interested in. What are the areas of concern for an RX350 for the years 2010 to 2012? Thanks in advance.
Guy.
Old 09-07-14, 07:57 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello Recycled,
Here at Club Lexus you will meet the most understanding people in the world.
You've been driving your Porsche for many years. Things have changed markedly regarding fit, finish and especially engine tolerances. In other words, the engines are better in this decade than they were in 2001. Metal in the oil filter? I don't think that's a concern, but it never hurts to check for peace of mind.
Lexus sells Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) cars. This means they have been gone over by a technician and the car is brought up to like-new condition and has a three-year, 100,000 mile warranty which covers everything except normal servicing and normal wear and tear. That's almost a new car warranty. Here are the details. http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/wa...1t0&bknode=BRG
What I like to do is when I see a person getting into a car in which I am interested, I approach them with "Excuse me, I'm interested in the car you're driving, do you like it?" Everyone tells me their car story, what they like and don't like about the car. This is a good source of information for me. You may wish to talk to owners of RX350's to give yourself a heads-up about specific vehicle concerns.
You ask about areas of concern. On this forum, regarding the years 2010-2012 RX350, you will see concerns about a rough ride, leaking rear shocks, steering column vibrations and the navigation package. Translation: Make sure you give your potential car a very long test ride, especially over bumps to get a feel for the ride.
We bought an '11 CPO a year ago and couldn't be more pleased. The car is wonderful and so is the dealership here in Roseville, CA.
I'm sure others will contribute more here to add to your wealth of knowledge of the RX350. You will know more than most Lexus salesmen soon.

Last edited by raylor4; 09-07-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-07-14, 02:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

These cars have the new 'low friction' engines in the GenIII series (2010 and up) with fantastic tolerances. They use the 0w20w synthetic oil. For the 1st couple of years I sent a sample of oil off each oil change to be analyzed and the results were better than you should ever hope for. If you're getting a CPO, you should be good to go, enjoy the car .

Welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by recycled
I have just sold my 2001 Porsche Boxster and am looking for an suv used that is going to be hopefully reliable. Mid month the NX comes out and I will check that out and I will likely go with the RX350(about 2011). Why? The latter is bigger and more car for the $$$.

My dealership has 21 used RX 350's on the lot. Lots to choose from. If I decide on the RX350 which comes with a two year power train warranty should I be checking the oil filter for metal? Coming off a Porsche that was the normal procedure! I will get a PPI done before committing to the one I am interested in. What are the areas of concern for an RX350 for the years 2010 to 2012? Thanks in advance.
Guy.
Old 09-08-14, 02:35 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

With a Toyota vehicle, you don't have to check for metal in the oil filter, even if it is 20 years old.
Toyota's corporate standard is for engines to last 200K miles.

However, why switch to RX or NX from a Porsche? It's a boring vehicle built on an FWD platform.
Lexus has much better offerings, such as the '15 IS and GS. If AWD is a concern, both of those will be full-time, compared to part-time in the RX.

With Lexus you'll get plenty of a car for money. I have had my IS300 for more than 11 years now. It has been nothing but bulletproof. Over the years, it has proven to have a very low cost to own ratio. Just recently I decided to replace it with an STI, just because I got tired of waiting for a reason to replace it.
Old 11-16-14, 01:45 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You couldn't be in a better spot to learn about the concerns/issues with 350's! I agree with others that a CPO is the way to go - more peace of mind