RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

WeatherTech liners or OEM all weather mats (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 02:19 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Weathertec liners for my RX350. I didn't like the way they look (looked cheap - I got the tan color). I bought Lexus rubber floor mats and the Lexus cargo liner in black. Like them a LOT better.
Old 12-22-14, 03:46 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by klwagoner
I bought the Weathertec liners for my RX350. I didn't like the way they look (looked cheap - I got the tan color). I bought Lexus rubber floor mats and the Lexus cargo liner in black. Like them a LOT better.
while of course oem mats look better, weathertech is more for the protection. funny part is i had the oem all weathers with 0 compliments and since ive put my WT ive had 3-4 compliments on the way they look/protect
Old 12-22-14, 04:20 PM
jitdc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in gray weather tech mats in the front, 2nd row and cargo area. They match my gray interior fairly well and I'm happy with but I must say the price for the whole set is a bit ridiculous for floor mats.
Old 12-23-14, 04:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I have friends with weathertech and maxpider floor mats. I myself have Husky WeatherBeaters.

Maxpider looks the best (least truck like) and the quality "appears" to be the highest. I'm sure weathertech and husky might be more durable tho.
Old 12-23-14, 06:30 PM
svidas
Rookie

I use OEM until winter hits and then use my WeatherTech mats. I don't like the look or slipperiness of WeatherTech! but they are great to keep snow and mud off of the carpet.
Old 12-23-14, 07:57 PM
Bluesman50
Driver School Candidate

Default I prefer the WeatherTech product

I had WeatherTech floor mats and cargo liners in my last four vehicles and planned on installing them on my new 2014 RX350 but my wife talked me into buying the OEM products because they looked better. After we had the vehicle a week she said I should have bought the WeatherTech products and I agree. If you want practical functional mats buy WeatherTech. If you want aesthetics buy the OEM product. I have spilled a large coffee on the WeatherTech mats and was able to vacuum the coffee out rinse the mat and go........
Old 02-05-15, 11:46 AM
DrPayne
Driver School Candidate

Default Thinking of getting all weather mats. OEM or Weathertech?

Should I go OEM or Weathertech?

I have 3 little ones that ride in the back and love to track all things dirt into the RX. Can anyone post a pic of the OEM All weather mats in the back seat area? I cannot find any on Google and want to see how big of a gap there is between the two rear mats. The one pro of the Weathertech mats is that the rear mat is one long mat.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 02-05-15, 12:04 PM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This topic has been discussed before (see link):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ther-mats.html

I have the OEM all weather mats and I don't think they're that great. They're flimsy, don't trap dirt as well, and the sides of the mats aren't grooved. I personally would go for the Weather-tech if I had to do it over again.
Old 02-05-15, 12:27 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

See my post here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8838734

I will be getting maxpider for my next car for sure after seeing the competition.
Old 02-05-15, 12:48 PM
zizou10
Driver School Candidate

I have both. Sold the OEM mats and purchased the Weathertech liner for both rows and cargo. Well worth it, and it's a huge difference. They are sturdier and not flimsy like the OEM mats. Also, the edges of the liners are higher to provide more support and coverage. I live in Houston so we get a good amount of rain...this was very helpful.

I don't remember the gap between the two OEM rear mats since we only had it for a few weeks. I want to say it's about the same width as the center console between the front seats.
Old 02-05-15, 12:50 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

weathertech hands down for all around protection.
Old 02-05-15, 02:02 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought Weathertech- returned them and bought OEM. I like OEM and they look a lot better than Weathertech.
Old 02-05-15, 03:47 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, here are photos of the OEM All Weather Mats in my RX as you requested. Sorry, colors are a bit off -- didn't spend the time to coordinate that across shots.

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

Rear Seating Area

My Personal Opinion

If I was going to have loads of slosh and mess to deal with, or carry a lot of inconsiderate passengers, I'd likely go with the Weathertechs, although I really don't like advertising their brand in my Lexus and that esthetic is a partial deterrent using them in my rides.

Fortunately for me, I don't have to worry about slushy snow and long periods of inclement weather like many others do. I also almost never eat or drink in my vehicle. I put my new carpet mats in a box the day I brought my RX home and installed the OEM All-Weather versions I had purchased from Sewell while I was waiting on delivery. I'm happy with the Lexus OEM mats. They provide good coverage in the front, albeit the area where my left foot rests gets dirty and requires attention. No issues on the passenger front side that is almost completely covered. The rears as you can see are 2 pieces and nearly cover the width of the RX back there, and slip under the seat backs where passenger toes end up. I find the OEM All-Weather to be very easy to vacuum out, and the last detail I do after each wash is I wipe the mats down with the cloth I use on my wheels which brings the mats back to like new condition, removing any skuffs or dirt that does not get vacuumed up. They do great the few times I have had rain or muddy feet to deal with, and the one time I took the RX for a jaunt to the snow, they served their purpose with my adult passengers. I don't have kids, but do have my Golden Retriever that is a constant companion who hops up on the rear floor then maneuvers herself up onto her covered back seat. The couple of accidents we've had were contained between the mats and her seat cover. The mats also do a great job keeping sand in a confined area from both of us when we make a run to the beach, until I take the mats out or just use my car vac after the next wash. I keep the optional Lexus carpet mat in the cargo area and just cover it with a tarp I keep in the garage for that purpose when I make one of the infamous home improvement store runs. I don't have any need for a big piece of plastic back there most of the time.

For me and my situation here in SoCal, if I bought another RX today, it would have the OEM All-Weather Mats at delivery and Lexus can keep their carpet mats. No question.

Last edited by BertL; 02-05-15 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 10:32 PM
Hiroslamme
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You should try to get your hands on the earlier model factory floor mats, a lot thicker and heavier than the current ones. I bought them back in early 2010, still looks brand new. The Lexus service folks always try to remove and replace them with the new flimsier models, its to a point where I remove them prior to taking the car in for service.
Old 02-06-15, 05:58 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah its funny after I had my car a couple years I wanted winter mats. Historically I've always gotten the factory models and been pretty happy.

But the dealer kept telling me they don't have any because they are being re-designed I think as a result of the unintended acceleration stuff that was going on. They gave me the same story on our Highlander.

So I just gave up asking. So as I read through this thread it looks like they have them now but the aren't very good. So i would just go with the Weathertechs.

Quick Reply: WeatherTech liners or OEM all weather mats (merged threads)