RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A/C Question

Old 08-07-14, 08:07 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Question

Hi, I used the search and couldn't find this (I've been known to be a bad searcher of info tho ). I noticed yesterday while driving the RX (not my daily driver) that when I turned on the A/C to bi-level (chest & feet) it only blew cold air at the chest level while at the feet level it was warm air. If I remember correctly from the past that the feet got cold too so I tried it with the vents only at the feet, still warm air. I even checked to make sure that I didn't have it on bi-level with defroster in use.

I don't want to go to the dealership to have this looked at if it's a simple fix. Anyone know how to fix this (user) problem? Thanks!!
Old 08-07-14, 10:00 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

bi-level is actually a good setting for fall weather. because you get the cool air from the vents, and the warm air at your feet. it is working as it should..
Old 08-07-14, 10:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That's an interesting one. I'm not sure what to say. Mine definitely blows cold on both dash vents and foot vents when I have it cooling down while on bi-level.
Old 08-07-14, 10:24 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

hmm.. This is interesting indeed. I remember my feet being cold when I used it on a trip to Vegas when it was 90+ degrees. I like my feet to feel cool. I called my SA and waiting a call back.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated as to what progresses.

**edit"" When I turn the A/C to only the feet level it still does not blow cold air, only blows warm air.

Last edited by t2014rx; 08-07-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 05:41 AM
Mors
Pole Position

I checked my 2015 last night. The floor blows cold air - maybe not as cold as the vents, but it was definitely cold air - on both recirc and not.
Old 08-08-14, 08:06 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
bi-level is actually a good setting for fall weather. because you get the cool air from the vents, and the warm air at your feet. it is working as it should..
In fifty years of owning cars, I've never heard of a difference in temperature between the feet and the face. BTW, my '97 Avalon had a vent under the steering column which blew onto the lap, thus increasing comfort. Wish all cars had that vent.
I think there is something wrong with the OP's HVAC and it's probably a dealer fix. Cheap hand-held infra-red temperature sensors can be purchased to easily read the temp at the outlets. Easy to compare.
Ray A.
Old 08-10-14, 10:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raylor4
In fifty years of owning cars, I've never heard of a difference in temperature between the feet and the face. BTW, my '97 Avalon had a vent under the steering column which blew onto the lap, thus increasing comfort. Wish all cars had that vent.
I think there is something wrong with the OP's HVAC and it's probably a dealer fix. Cheap hand-held infra-red temperature sensors can be purchased to easily read the temp at the outlets. Easy to compare.
Ray A.
the last time i used bi-level (because i simply do not care for this setting) it was in a 77 Grand Prix. and in that particular vehicle it DID have two different temps. even stated so in the owners manual. ok?
Old 08-10-14, 10:10 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

the last time i used bi-level (because i simply do not care for this setting) it was in a 77 Grand Prix. and in that particular vehicle it DID have two different temps. even stated so in the owners manual. ok? lexus114

I stand corrected. Now I've heard of it. When I posted my reply, I was thinking of non-selectible bi-level temperature differences. I'm looking forward to the solution to the OP's situation.
Ray A.
Old 08-11-14, 03:56 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
the last time i used bi-level (because i simply do not care for this setting) it was in a 77 Grand Prix. and in that particular vehicle it DID have two different temps. even stated so in the owners manual. ok?
How did you set the two individual temperatures or set the difference in temperatures? Something on the dash or manual lever on a vent under dash?
Old 08-11-14, 07:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DunWkg
How did you set the two individual temperatures or set the difference in temperatures? Something on the dash or manual lever on a vent under dash?
in that vehicle, when you selected bi-level (and this did not have driver/passenger side settings) a/c air would come out the vents,and warmer air would come out at your feet. simple blending valve or something probably back then.
Old 08-11-14, 07:35 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Update.. Took the RX in to check the A/C at lunch. My SA just called and said, "the A/C is working as it should and they will keep checking since it is happening on and off". I got to choose between the CT, IS, and ES for a loaner vehicle. Chose the ES and it's a damn sweet ride. Now I'm re-thinking maybe I should get this instead of another RX / NX. As the story unfolds, I'll post again.

Morning everyone,

Update.. Taking the RX into the dealer tomorrow and will keep everyone informed of the problem / fix. Funny thing, the A/C works as it should (cold air w/ bi-level) on and off. Got in the RX to go to the store and it worked. Driving home from the store it didn't. Just happy it worked on our trip this past weekend.

On the other hand, I'm getting a loaner tomorrow. Already building a repoire with my SA.

Last edited by t2014rx; 08-14-14 at 09:19 AM. Reason: update.
Old 08-14-14, 09:19 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Update again.. Picked up the RX yesterday after it was in the shop for 2 days and they were unable to reproduce the warm air coming from the feet level vents so there was nothing they could fix. My SA said, "they tried multiple times using different settings and location (sitting out in the sun & in the service bay) with no luck. He did say if I was using "auto" mode that this could cause a problem trying to keep the temp setting. I don't use this setting and explained to him that it happens randomly as far as I can tell. The computer / software was checked and up to date and their were no error codes. In the end, I was told to make notes of when it happens and on what settings so they might be able to trouble shoot. I feel very confident of the SA I'm working with.

On another note, love the ride of the ES but sitting in traffic yesterday made me change my mind as I couldn't see anything besides the car in front of me. So it's off the list and I'm back to looking at another RX or NX.