RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Chirp" or Squeak sound driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 05:35 AM
Lexusrx5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Chirp" or Squeak sound driver's side

Hi - I have a 2010 RX350 that has an intermittent chirp sound when driving. It's on the left side around the front driver's side. The dealer believes it's coming from the suspension (everything has been checked and is fine - all the bushings lubed and bolts tightened). But I believe it's coming from the inside (maybe the dash?). It's a random chirp that happens when you drive over rough roads/bumps, but not always. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any solutions?
Old 08-08-14, 07:17 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Apply a dab of vaseline or other lubricant to the rubber door stop bumpers.Mounted on the body, less than 1" diameter. There are two per door & when dry they make the same sound on a rough road. I chased my own tail for a bit with the same issue, another member posted the fix last year.
Hopefully it's this easy in your case.
Old 08-08-14, 05:14 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Had a similar sound on my 2010 RX350, just got it back from the dealer today, they ended up changing the whole electronic steering column because of the rattle/clicking/grinding sound from the dash. They said the 2010's are known to have bad steering columns but the SA doesn't usually suspect the whole column is bad because it took a month to get the parts and cost around $3500. Lucky I had the Platinum warranty, no charge and the rattle/clicking sound is gone, he also straightened the steering wheel a bit, it was leaning a little towards the right.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-14, 07:31 PM
Lexusrx5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Apply a dab of vaseline or other lubricant to the rubber door stop bumpers.Mounted on the body, less than 1" diameter. There are two per door & when dry they make the same sound on a rough road. I chased my own tail for a bit with the same issue, another member posted the fix last year.
Hopefully it's this easy in your case.
Thanks! It isn't in the door stop bumper.
Old 08-09-14, 04:07 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

I have the same issue but coming only from the right side of the vehicle. Only happens when you go over bumps. Looking for a solution as well. Thanks.
Old 08-09-14, 09:19 AM
scaflyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a chirping sound on a bumpy road that I could not find, lubed the door stop bumpers but no joy. On this forum, a user suggested checking the hood adjustable rubber bumpers and I found the hood would shake slightly when I tried to move the front of the hood side to side when closed.

I opened the hood and slightly adjusted the 2 rubber bumpers, the hood was then closed and there was no movement, that mysterious chirping sound is now gone. I could have sworn the chirping sound was coming from somewhere in the interior, I was wrong, it was the very slight movement of the hood (2011 RX350)
The following users liked this post:
epicsurge (04-21-22)
Old 08-09-14, 09:41 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a very stupid question and please don't laugh but do you have a water bottle on the driver left side?
Old 08-11-14, 04:48 PM
Lexusrx5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TranV
this is a very stupid question and please don't laugh but do you have a water bottle on the driver left side?
No. There is nothing in the door.
Old 08-11-14, 04:49 PM
Lexusrx5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scaflyer
I had a chirping sound on a bumpy road that I could not find, lubed the door stop bumpers but no joy. On this forum, a user suggested checking the hood adjustable rubber bumpers and I found the hood would shake slightly when I tried to move the front of the hood side to side when closed.

I opened the hood and slightly adjusted the 2 rubber bumpers, the hood was then closed and there was no movement, that mysterious chirping sound is now gone. I could have sworn the chirping sound was coming from somewhere in the interior, I was wrong, it was the very slight movement of the hood (2011 RX350)
Thanks! I'll try that. Although now I think I've isolated it near the steering wheel.
Old 08-11-14, 05:17 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not in the door. there is a cup holder on dash of the driver side where you can put a drink or water bottle. Reason why i asked was because i was experiencing the same chirping and crackling noise. Then realized it was the water bottle due to hot car and then AC was turn on causing the plastic bottle to expand and contract. just thought you might experiencing the same thing..
Old 08-11-14, 05:53 PM
Lexusrx5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TranV
Not in the door. there is a cup holder on dash of the driver side where you can put a drink or water bottle. Reason why i asked was because i was experiencing the same chirping and crackling noise. Then realized it was the water bottle due to hot car and then AC was turn on causing the plastic bottle to expand and contract. just thought you might experiencing the same thing..
Nope! I've taken everything out of the car. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-26-15, 08:13 AM
jenneale
Driver School Candidate

Hi! I am having this exact same issue, as described by the original thread starter. Does anyone have any updated info on this? I tried the rubber door stop and the rubber bumpers under the hood, it still chirps like a cricket over random bumps.

The speed does not matter, the air con on/off does not matter.

I REALLY appreciate anyone's time or energy on this.
Old 09-17-15, 09:16 PM
raylor
Driver School Candidate

I also get the chirping sound going over any kind of bump or slightly rough roads. It sounds like it's coming from the rear somewhere, but not totally sure. I tried lubing the door stop bumpers with no luck. I don't know what's more annoying... the chirping or the incessant driver side b-pillar ticking?!?
Old 10-15-21, 09:35 AM
dje1159
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 RX 350 that had to have the timing case gasket replaced. Hence they had to drop the entire engine and the replaced several gaskets. Ever since I got the vehicle back I noticed a chirping noise coming from the driver’s side. After many hours of patient searching (even used a stethoscope while driving!!) I have determined the chirping sound is coming from the steering column. It only happens when the steering wheel is in the dead center position. When I turn the wheel- even slightly to the left or right- the chirping stops. I’m in the process right now of communicating with my local dealer- Harvey Lexus of Grand Rapids, MI.
The following users liked this post:
cglassy (10-05-23)
Old 10-16-21, 05:24 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

You have to convince them it was not there before and that they caused it when putting everything back together. They did just remove the engine. I hope they accept responsibility and fix it.
However:
They will probably try to avoid repairing it for free and claim it is either normal or unrelated to what they did and a new problem they want you to pay for. If they are too belligerent, contact Lexus Corporate for help.
It is under the repair warranty, they should take care of it.

Did you have to pay for the timing cover gasket repair? Or was it under an extended service contract/warranty? If you paid, how much?

Quick Reply: "Chirp" or Squeak sound driver's side