RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 - Add Blind Side Monitor (BSM)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 02:04 PM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 - Add Blind Side Monitor (BSM)?

I searched and found a few things on the BSM but nothing to say yes or no to this ....

Is it easy enough to add BSM to my 2011? It looks like a simple enough add on with the mirror and module???

Thanks
Old 07-15-14, 06:46 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a radar bit under the rear bumper cover on the left and right that serves to "sense" the vehicles in your blind spots. I believe you'd have to remove and replace the bumper cover to install those and they'd have to be wired back to the electrical control unit somewhere in the passenger cabin which in turn attaches to the side mirrors ...which themselves would need to be replaced with the ones having the indicators built in.
Old 07-15-14, 07:28 PM
dentate
Driver

You would need 2 new mirrors plus the wiring to them and it likely goes through a computer somewhere plus the modules on the inside of the rear bumper - both sides...the 2011 was not designed for this feature so I am sure it would be cost-prohibitive....cheaper to upgrade to a newer RX....Having said that, I love the BSM on my 2013.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 07-15-14, 08:56 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
....cheaper to upgrade to a newer RX....
Have you considered something like this?
Old 07-16-14, 04:27 AM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guy ... I figured the Lexus version would get expensive.

The aftermarket I stumbled on last night and they seem pretty good - Id like to find a better location for the light, but that may be the way to go .... Always nervous to cut into the number for the 2 sensors, but a drilled hole shouldn't be too bad ...

Thanks for the suggestions... I think the aftermarket add on is the way to go
Old 07-16-14, 08:15 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

I would love to have the Cross Traddic Alert system on my 2015 RX 350. It is an option on the 2015 F Sport but not the 350. I'm wondering if it can be added.
This may not be the correct place to post this but seems to be a lot of knowledge on the subject here. I believe it is connected to the BSM which I have.
Old 07-16-14, 08:15 PM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Surovich
Thanks guy ... I figured the Lexus version would get expensive.

The aftermarket I stumbled on last night and they seem pretty good - Id like to find a better location for the light, but that may be the way to go .... Always nervous to cut into the number for the 2 sensors, but a drilled hole shouldn't be too bad ...

Thanks for the suggestions... I think the aftermarket add on is the way to go
I bought the aftermarket Goshers (the deluxe model) and it is a royal piece of crap.
Even at its lowest sensitivity it gives false positives. Heck, it even detects the rain and makes the warning LEDs go off. Also, note that the indicators are oversized orange discs that are applied inside the car with sticky tape. Absolutely horrible.
Old 09-12-16, 08:38 AM
X-TNSIV
Driver

Default Has anyone successfully retrofit OEM Lexus Blind Spot Monitoring

I just picked up a pre-owned RX and wanted to add BSM. Has anyone successfully added the factory blind spot monitoring to their RX's? I know a few people have added parking assist, so I figure someone has tried to add BSM.

I know that there are a few items needed, but I don't have access to a Lexus wiring diagram to see what else would be required:

1) Side mirrors (not sure if the mirrors are pre-wired for just the lenses, of if you need the entire assembly)
2) Rear radar modules (Left and Right)
3) BSM switch on the dash
4) Master control module / ECU?
5) anything else?
Old 09-12-16, 09:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I doubt you could get or load the factory software to integrate it with the vehicle systems. Probably a separate off on switch. I have aftermarket parking sensors and only have an on off switch on the dash. It is not integrated with the software and I have Nav.
Old 09-12-16, 11:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe I'm getting old, but what's the big deal with the BSM system? One could spend a $1 on a convex and get the blind spot covered.
Or just turn the head when switching lanes, as drivers are supposed to in the first place.
Our RX did not come with BSM (I wouldn't want to spend extra money on it), but my Audi did.
I started ignoring Audi's BSM because it would flash rapidly at me when I merged with other traffic and the distance to other cars was less than its threshold.
I ended up pulling the fuse on it and disabling it altogether, as it was interfering why my good ol' Valentine One radar detector.
I'm not really missing it. I rely on being aware of what's going on around me. And it does not make me dependent on a feature few cars have.
Old 09-12-16, 01:48 PM
X-TNSIV
Driver

I should clarify that it is for a 2013 RX, so I'm not quite sure why the mods merged it to 2011 thread.

Originally Posted by X-TNSIV
I just picked up a pre-owned RX and wanted to add BSM. Has anyone successfully added the factory blind spot monitoring to their RX's? I know a few people have added parking assist, so I figure someone has tried to add BSM.

I know that there are a few items needed, but I don't have access to a Lexus wiring diagram to see what else would be required:

1) Side mirrors (not sure if the mirrors are pre-wired for just the lenses, of if you need the entire assembly)
2) Rear radar modules (Left and Right)
3) BSM switch on the dash
4) Master control module / ECU?
5) anything else?
Old 09-13-16, 09:32 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would cost a fortune to add BSM with the OEM approach. There is another solution. It has to do with the way you set your side view mirrors. Most people set the SV mirrors so that they can see the side of their own vehicle. However, this does not allow you to see anyone in your blind spot. You should set your side view mirrors to see what's in the blind spot. So they would need to be pointed more outward. This way you use your rear view mirror to see anything that is behind you. Then you look to the appropriate side mirror to see if anyone is in your blind spot. Then you can safely change lanes. This gives you complete viewing access to the traffic around you. I changed to this approach a couple of years ago. Admittedly, it took a couple of months to get used to it. But now it works great. You can google this if you need more information about how to do it. Although the BSM is a nice feature, it certainly can't be worth many hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars when there is a cost free approach that works.

Last edited by MDames2; 09-13-16 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:38 PM
Kizersoze
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDames2
It would cost a fortune to add BSM with the OEM approach. There is another solution. It has to do with the way you set your side view mirrors. Most people set the SV mirrors so that they can see the side of their own vehicle. However, this does not allow you to see anyone in your blind spot. You should set your side view mirrors to see what's in the blind spot. So they would need to be pointed more outward. This way you use your rear view mirror to see anything that is behind you. Then you look to the appropriate side mirror to see if anyone is in your blind spot. Then you can safely change lanes. This gives you complete viewing access to the traffic around you. I changed to this approach a couple of years ago. Admittedly, it took a couple of months to get used to it. But now it works great. You can google this if you need more information about how to do it. Although the BSM is a nice feature, it certainly can't be worth many hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars when there is a cost free approach that works.
This^!!!!!!

I just learned this tip from my Dad. I thought he was crazy for not buying a car with BSM but it worked for me in the NY/NJ area.
Old 02-15-17, 09:06 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2013 450h Blind Spot Monitoring add?

Loving our new 450h.....so sweet compared to our older 400h. Awesome condition and even has the Heads up display (which is really growing on me)!

The two things we don't have, the blind spot monitoring system and ML radio.

Is it possible to add the blind spot system to the existing car?
New mirrors
New toggle switch
New window roll-down switches

If the parts were bought and added, would the vehicle recognize the new equipment options?
It would be cool to add!
Old 02-15-17, 12:33 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I see this subject seems to get moved to the original thread with the subject line 2011 vehicle. If I'm not mistaken, this option wasn't available for the 2010-2012 era?? IF that is the case, the task would be quite a bit more complex.

However, if the 2013 offered as an option, I would think it might be easier to incorporate......

For Fun I'm still going to do some digging:

84470-48010 --- Discontinued
Switch Assy, Warning Canceling
LANE CHANGE ASSIST-WITH(BLIND SPOT DETECTION)

88162-0w050
Sensor, Blind Spot Monitor, LH

88162-0w050
Sensor, Blind Spot Monitor, RH

Last edited by SkiMe; 02-15-17 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 - Add Blind Side Monitor (BSM)?