RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service on Higher Mileage Third Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 01:22 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Service on Higher Mileage Third Gen RX350

OK, as everyone knows, I probably have the highest mileage RX350 here (4.5 years old, and nearing 120k on the odometer).

Normally I would be planning for a major service, with timing belt replacement, water pump replacement, spark plug and wire replacements....

I know we have a timing chain. Yay.

But when I went to the Lexus Drivers' Site looking for info on replacement of the other items listed above, they are NOT included, even up to 150k miles! (which, btw, is the highest listed mileage schedule!).

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce-schedule.do

So, when would YOU expect to replace the water pump? The spark plugs and wires? The PCV valve? Just curious....
Old 06-29-14, 02:12 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

It seems most cars made in the past decade change plugs & wires (even the iridium) at around 100k. Water pumps have always been on an as needed basis, unless most of the engine is taken apart then might think about changing it prophylactically then. My other cars looked at pcv valve at around 100k too, but lately I've only seen a small fixed orifice device not a true valve that rattles. Yeah, we're just breaking ours in at 80k miles. I'd change the drive belts at 60k to 100k too, rubber parts like that just don't last in the desert.
Old 06-29-14, 02:21 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
So, when would YOU expect to replace the water pump? The spark plugs and wires? The PCV valve? Just curious....
Plugs and wires @ 120k according to your chart.

I believe a water pump is a 'on failure' item. It will make some noise before it goes. There are some things you don't replace just to be replacing them, bulbs for example. Bulbs are replaced when they go out not when they're five years old or have 150 thousand miles on them.

My 15 year old truck has the original water pump.
Old 06-29-14, 10:09 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raoul
Plugs and wires @ 120k according to your chart.
Actually, it only says PLUGS. I'd assume wires as well.
Old 06-30-14, 04:17 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Yep, just doing the plugs would be like putting on a new tuxedo over yesterdays underwear.
Old 06-30-14, 09:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Raoul, thanks for the visual (NOT!).

Sandi, I assume you've had all services to date and nothing out of the ordinary to date. How's the RX running overall? Wish I could help you with the maintenance questions but I leave it to my SA. I make the appointment online and get an idea based on mileage. Then she goes through it line by line. Maybe talk it over with yours. I've driven 130K miles, on all three RXs combined
Old 06-30-14, 01:07 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Raoul, thanks for the visual (NOT!)...
I try....make point.... ....few words....possible.
Old 06-30-14, 11:41 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Raoul, thanks for the visual (NOT!).

Sandi, I assume you've had all services to date and nothing out of the ordinary to date. How's the RX running overall? Wish I could help you with the maintenance questions but I leave it to my SA. I make the appointment online and get an idea based on mileage. Then she goes through it line by line. Maybe talk it over with yours. I've driven 130K miles, on all three RXs combined
Anita, my service person left; and the last time I was in at the dealer, my iPod was stolen out of the center console. So I'm not feelin' the love for the dealer right now.

And yes, I've had all services to date, and the only thing "out of the ordinary" is that I still have a groaning steering wheel. ;(
Old 07-08-14, 12:14 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

There are no ignition wires as you are thinking of them. It is all electronic & computer controlled with individual coils above each spark plug. Now you could think about replacing those coils if you are in the mood to spend more money.

Have you had the automatic transmission fluid flushed or the fluid changed? Have you changed the fluid in the rear differential and front transfer case? If not, I would do those now if it was my vehicle.
Old 07-08-14, 08:26 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Clutchless
T

Have you had the automatic transmission fluid flushed or the fluid changed? Have you changed the fluid in the rear differential and front transfer case? If not, I would do those now if it was my vehicle.
Yes, that's part of the regular service chart referenced earlier. Flushed the differential and changed the transmission fluid.

Nothing about PVC valve, water pump, timing chain, serpentine belt....I like to schedule and budget these services in advance, rather than react to it when it's an emergency.
Old 07-10-14, 11:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Serpentine belt and tensioner I can see replacing as a preventive item. Having owned a 1995 Explorer until 2013 I had to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulleys a few times. Those idlers really squeak when failing. What is the recommended interval for the serpentine belt?

Water pumps will give notice of impending failure by making more noise, weeping fluid or drastic leaks. Timing chains also make more noise when failing. I bet the water pump is good for a least 200,000 and the timing chain for the life of the vehicle if you do regular oil changes. It would cost hundreds and hundreds of $ to replace them. Far wiser to just drive it and repair as needed. Save your money for new tires or replace the shocks & struts to improve the ride..

I forgot to add that the old Ford 4.0 OHV V6 lasted 18 years and almost 200,000 miles on the original water pump and timing chain etc no internal repairs. I fed it a steady diet of Mobil 1 every 7,000 miles or 1 year and had Mobil 1 ATF in the tranny which also worked perfectly, until the day the metal brake lines rusted out in multiple places....My local mechanic bought it for $300 to repair for his high school age son. This is why I now I have the RX350.

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-11-14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 07:41 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

there are no wires to replace. it is a direct spark from individual coils over each spark plug. (sorry clutchless, i didn't see your post)
Old 07-13-14, 10:15 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Serpentine belt and tensioner I can see replacing as a preventive item. Having owned a 1995 Explorer until 2013 I had to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulleys a few times. Those idlers really squeak when failing. What is the recommended interval for the serpentine belt?
Sheesh, that's the whole point of my post - there ISN'T one.
Old 07-13-14, 10:15 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

There are no ignition wires as you are thinking of them. It is all electronic & computer controlled with individual coils above each spark plug. Now you could think about replacing those coils if you are in the mood to spend more money.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 07-13-14, 11:00 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Sheesh, that's the whole point of my post - there ISN'T one.
In your original post you mentioned 'timing belt'. A timing belt is internal and it is a wear item for automobiles. The RX has a timing chain. This isn't a normal wear item and wouldn't be bothered with until an engine rebuild.

'Serpentine belts' are external and you could see them if Lexus didn't cover everything with plastic. The Lexus maintenance guide you linked above calls these 'Drive belts'.
They start inspecting at 60k and every 15k thereafter according to the chart.

Quick Reply: Service on Higher Mileage Third Gen RX350