RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Service on Higher Mileage Third Gen RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 12:26 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
There are no ignition wires as you are thinking of them. It is all electronic & computer controlled with individual coils above each spark plug. Now you could think about replacing those coils if you are in the mood to spend more money.

Have you had the automatic transmission fluid flushed or the fluid changed? Have you changed the fluid in the rear differential and front transfer case? If not, I would do those now if it was my vehicle.
Wait a minute......I thought 3rd gen RX has sealed automatic transmission without dipstick to which the ATF should last the life of the vehicle. I know someone will always argue that no fluid will last the life of the vehicle but is it Lexus' statement that ATF does not require changing?
Old 07-14-14, 04:36 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Wait a minute......I thought 3rd gen RX has sealed automatic transmission without dipstick to which the ATF should last the life of the vehicle. I know someone will always argue that no fluid will last the life of the vehicle but is it Lexus' statement that ATF does not require changing?
It is "lifetime", UNLESS you tow. Lexus calls this out in the their service guide. Not so lifetime then is it?
Old 07-14-14, 11:18 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul
In your original post you mentioned 'timing belt'. A timing belt is internal and it is a wear item for automobiles. The RX has a timing chain. This isn't a normal wear item and wouldn't be bothered with until an engine rebuild.
Raoul, I explicitly noted in my OP that I know we have a timing chain. Please read more carefully before you start lecturing.

Originally Posted by Raoul
'Serpentine belts' are external and you could see them if Lexus didn't cover everything with plastic. The Lexus maintenance guide you linked above calls these 'Drive belts'.
They start inspecting at 60k and every 15k thereafter according to the chart.
Dude, I KNOW what a serpentine belt is. My point is that the guide says ONLY inspect - no replacement interval is given. I am used to replacing things at 120k miles, which used to take me a lot longer to approach - but now that I'm driving 25k miles per year, the assessment is different, ya know?

And I also mentioned I prefer to change them on a PLANNED schedule, instead of due to crisis. So, if that were you, would you wait until an inspection called it out? I wouldn't.

Hmph. OK, I'm gonna make up my own rule. Change the serpentine at 150k miles.
Old 07-15-14, 05:42 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry I misread your original post.

I think you have a good plan replacing the belt at 150k.
Old 07-15-14, 08:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sandi, sounds like a good idea. You'll have to keep us posted on the work you have done on your RX. It'll be helpful to people wanting to know about how well the 3rd gen RX holds up. I'm pretty sure you're the highest mileage in the group now. Geez, I remember when you were talking about the sport suspension and looking into changing it. Now it's three (?) sets of tires and 120K+ miles later.
Old 07-22-14, 07:30 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sandi, sounds like a good idea. You'll have to keep us posted on the work you have done on your RX. It'll be helpful to people wanting to know about how well the 3rd gen RX holds up. I'm pretty sure you're the highest mileage in the group now. Geez, I remember when you were talking about the sport suspension and looking into changing it. Now it's three (?) sets of tires and 120K+ miles later.
Anita, I've been the highest-mileage RX350 for awhile now. When I put the second set of tires on at 42k miles, I was one of the first to hit that figure. And that was 2.5 years ago. Now on the third set of tires, yes.

In terms of repairs, (knock on wood) it's been good. Front brakes have been replaced once, rear brakes still original. I still have the steering wheel moan (not gonna pay for them to track it down out of warranty) and the ride is still a little hard - but no leaking shocks, no warped rotors, the stereo gremlin only reappeared for one short visit, so we're doing fine.

I will take it in soon for the oil change and inspection; plug replacements; general 120k mile service. I expect that at 150k, I'll be due for a full set of brakes, and the serpentine replacement.

Anyone know if we have a PCV valve? That used to be on my routine replacement list as well.
Old 07-22-14, 09:46 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've noticed that the brakes are lasting much longer on the third-gen RX as opposed to the second-gen RX.
I'm at a little over 53,000 miles on my 2010 RX, and the brakes are still in good shape. Had to repair the brakes on the 2007 RX much sooner.
Old 07-23-14, 06:56 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Had to replace my rear pads at 33,000 miles a few weeks ago on my 2010. They were down to 2 or 3 millimeters. Got OEM pads from Sewell.
Fronts still look great.
Old 07-23-14, 10:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Anita, I've been the highest-mileage RX350 for awhile now. When I put the second set of tires on at 42k miles, I was one of the first to hit that figure. And that was 2.5 years ago. Now on the third set of tires, yes.

In terms of repairs, (knock on wood) it's been good. Front brakes have been replaced once, rear brakes still original. I still have the steering wheel moan (not gonna pay for them to track it down out of warranty) and the ride is still a little hard - but no leaking shocks, no warped rotors, the stereo gremlin only reappeared for one short visit, so we're doing fine.

I will take it in soon for the oil change and inspection; plug replacements; general 120k mile service. I expect that at 150k, I'll be due for a full set of brakes, and the serpentine replacement.

Anyone know if we have a PCV valve? That used to be on my routine replacement list as well.
Sandi, I was waiting for someone to jump in and dethrone you of the highest 3RX mileage crown. But I guess it's all yours Glad the 350 is generally holding up well. Let us know how the 120K service goes.