RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Does "S" mode automatically switch gears?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 03:07 PM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does "S" mode automatically switch gears?

Hello All,
This is my first post on Club Lexus! I enjoy reading all of your forum posts and decided it was time to make a new account Anyways, I currently own a 2010 Lexus RX350.

I always knew there was the "S" next to the "D" but I was never sure if it would auto-shift for me.

For example,
If I were to "race" (theoretically speaking), I would shift it into sport mode.
Starting from first gear, would I be able to floor it and ignore manually shifting the gear? I have heard that the engine will pretty much red-bar the gear and upshift it on its own. Or do I have to manually shift the gear while monitoring the RPM?

Thanks! I appreciate all of your input and help!
Old 06-15-14, 05:24 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not answer your question. However I have another manual car and if the Lexus S mode is trullly manual, it will not shift gear for you. Meaning you can grind your first gear if you like too. However on my manual car, there is a rev limiter so if you are revving it high, at some point it will cut off gasoline when you reach the rev limit rpm.
Old 06-15-14, 07:15 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, 343434xx.

When in doubt, always start first with the Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-01.pdf
Old 06-15-14, 10:26 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 343434xx
Hello All,
This is my first post on Club Lexus! I enjoy reading all of your forum posts and decided it was time to make a new account Anyways, I currently own a 2010 Lexus RX350.

I always knew there was the "S" next to the "D" but I was never sure if it would auto-shift for me.

For example,
If I were to "race" (theoretically speaking), I would shift it into sport mode.
Starting from first gear, would I be able to floor it and ignore manually shifting the gear? I have heard that the engine will pretty much red-bar the gear and upshift it on its own. Or do I have to manually shift the gear while monitoring the RPM?

Thanks! I appreciate all of your input and help!
I use S mode a lot, so my response to you is based on experience.
But first, don't use the RX or any CUV/ SUV to race legal or otherwise
The weight alone puts you in a disadvantage.

Now, going back to your question.
The S mode limits the gear of the RX.
From a stop light, putting it on S4, it doesn't mean you're starting from 4th gear
You are still starting from the lowest available, which is probably 2nd gear
And as you increase speed, the RX even on S mode will upshift for you UP TO 4th gear only.

Now, using your scenario, starting from 1 st gear and reving up,
I believe you will hit the redline and the RX won't upshift.
The following users liked this post:
Laplace0 (08-04-22)
Old 06-16-14, 12:42 AM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers

From a stop light, putting it on S4, it doesn't mean you're starting from 4th gear
And as you increase speed, the RX even on S mode will upshift for you UP TO 4th gear only.

Thanks for all the replies!

Anyways, if I were to race another SUV legally, what would be the most optimal method for winning a quarter mile race?

1. Sticking it in "D" mode
2. Sticking it in "S" mode and starting from 1st gear and manually upshifting
3. Sticking it in "S" mode and starting from 4th gear
4. ?

Any optimal methods?

Thanks again!
Old 06-16-14, 07:06 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The computer will shift gears at the best point. They measure lots of different factors better and faster than we can to keep the rpm in the best torque range for the task at hand. Manual shifting does't make the shifts any faster or more firm so I just don't see any benefit in manual shifting.

In my IS (with paddle shifters!), I have found that I'm ready to upshift before the computer. I actually find it a bit frustrating to tell it to shift, and then wait for the car to agree with me. I think the only purpose for manually shifting is to force dowshifts to assist in braking. Even that's not too helpful. In the end, I don't think an RX is a race car, and I think Lexus would agree. They tune the transmission for comfort and economy before high performance.

Last edited by User 41924; 06-16-14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 01:08 PM
343434xx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Woodrow
The computer will shift gears at the best point. They measure lots of different factors better and faster than we can to keep the rpm in the best torque range for the task at hand. Manual shifting does't make the shifts any faster or more firm so I just don't see any benefit in manual shifting.

In my IS (with paddle shifters!), I have found that I'm ready to upshift before the computer. I actually find it a bit frustrating to tell it to shift, and then wait for the car to agree with me. I think the only purpose for manually shifting is to force dowshifts to assist in braking. Even that's not too helpful. In the end, I don't think an RX is a race car, and I think Lexus would agree. They tune the transmission for comfort and economy before high performance.
Agreed

Thank you!
Old 07-22-22, 11:28 PM
Swiftness
2nd gear

Originally Posted by markrivers

I'd have to disagree to the RX350 being at a disadvantage in a race. My 2010 in D can run with the best of em & leave some behind.. Sport sedans and current model RXs included. S mode is a whole different animal though! Especially n 6th gear..👌🏽. No hesitation once you punch the gas unlike in D mode.

Only "disadvantage" is the governor kicking in @ 115. I went up against some little Mazda once which seemed to be a stick. As I was pulling away from him @ around 105-110 he took the win because..... YEP... 😀👎🏽. So I learned that I have to use 4th & 6th gear to give me the upper hand to extend a good lead and get to 115 SWIFTLY and act like I've proven my point... 😀. Which I actually have... 💪🏽