RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 01:04 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t2014rx
^^ Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add without the navigation system. The 2014 has it on the dash without navigation. Was that the first year that option was available?
has it where on the dash? on what screen?
Old 06-02-14, 01:13 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
has it where on the dash? on what screen?
7" screen is standard now, instead of the "calculator" climate control BW LCD. That means they are done away with the AC button for good.
Old 06-02-14, 01:42 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, my mistake. It's been raining here for days so I'm guessing that's why everything looked grey scale. I see a bit of blue sky today though. Still, it's a very bad camera. The GX s camera has a great image with the guide lines. My daughter' s Venza has a very good one with the lines. Makes no sense to me why they would put one this bad on the RX. I thought about replacing it but don't know if that's possible.
It's still the best looking SUV out there (to me)
Old 06-02-14, 07:42 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My backup camera picture looks black/white as well Sandy. I read your post last night and went out in garage and started the car, put in reverse w/foot on brake....can "kinda" see red on the white door...very faintly but only on passenger side. There's maybe 3' between back of RX to garage door. I'm tickled with a backup camera, but still, agree that it's a weak backup camera.
Old 06-02-14, 08:12 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoosiers
My backup camera picture looks black/white as well Sandy. I read your post last night and went out in garage and started the car, put in reverse w/foot on brake....can "kinda" see red on the white door...very faintly but only on passenger side. There's maybe 3' between back of RX to garage door. I'm tickled with a backup camera, but still, agree that it's a weak backup camera.
Absolutely NOT a deal breaker. I still love it.
Old 06-03-14, 03:22 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Wife's car has the two sets of lines, I like them. With the off-center camera on the RX the lines would be helpful. Maybe that's why the RX doesn't have the guidelines. Lexus engineers couldn't get it to work with off-center camera.
I have the backup lines and my camera is off centre. Its on the right side of the handle to open the trunk. And mine is also a very early 13. Literally registered in June 2012
Old 06-03-14, 04:58 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
I have the backup lines and my camera is off centre. Its on the right side of the handle to open the trunk. And mine is also a very early 13. Literally registered in June 2012
Is the display in the dash or rear view mirror?
Old 06-03-14, 06:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Sandy, do us a favor, take a pic of what you see and post please

EDIT: Took one of my RX for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera-rx_cam.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-03-14 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 06:44 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

I think it's too dark tonight (7:30) . I'll take another tomorrow. I adjusted the settings to the brightest and cleaned the camera.
The truck in the picture (my son's) has a back-up camera in the rear view mirror that has a better picture than mine
Attached Thumbnails Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera-img_0994.jpg  

Last edited by sandy14; 06-03-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 06:45 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sandy, do us a favor, take a pic of what you see and post please

EDIT: Took one of my RX for reference.
That image is really good. I would love to have that.
Old 06-03-14, 07:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Sandy, I'd say your camera is normal at least in color. The pic I posted was in ideal conditions - bright and sunny. Under lower lighting conditions, the picture does normally look less vivid similar to yours. Try to post a pic late morning or early afternoon when sun is brightest to compare.
Old 06-04-14, 02:59 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sandy14
Is the display in the dash or rear view mirror?
In the dash of course. I dont think they have them in the mirrors in the RX
Old 06-04-14, 07:08 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
In the dash of course. I dont think they have them in the mirrors in the RX
Here is an in-the-shade, 7 AM, in-the-mirror, back-up camera pic with a red sweatshirt for color. Note the green grass to the right.
The camera does a good job of exposing for the area just behind the car, while allowing the far background to over-expose. I'm finding there is little color behind the car in most cases. I think the screen in the monitor/mirror cannot compare with a home TV. Two different technologies, but similar.
Ray A.
Attached Thumbnails Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera-lexus-camera1.jpg  
Old 06-04-14, 09:23 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raylor4
Here is an in-the-shade, 7 AM, in-the-mirror, back-up camera pic with a red sweatshirt for color. Note the green grass to the right.
The camera does a good job of exposing for the area just behind the car, while allowing the far background to over-expose. I'm finding there is little color behind the car in most cases. I think the screen in the monitor/mirror cannot compare with a home TV. Two different technologies, but similar.
Ray A.
That's a good image also. I'm waiting for some sun and I will take some more pictures. At this point I just want to make sure it's me and not a bad camera.
Old 06-04-14, 10:19 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raylor4
Ray A.
Well they dont in the UK!

Quick Reply: Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera