RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Suspension Issues and Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 08:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Suspension Issues and Tire Wear

Many of you may remember that my RXh developed a suspension squeak which occurs during wallowy roads and when entering/exiting driveways. Anything that gives the suspension a good workout causes it. When I brought my RX in for its 30K service, they replaced both struts because they were leaking. The SA also noticed that my tires would need replacing at the next service interval. 30K miles sounds about right to me. He even pointed out that the rear tire closest to us was exhibiting more wear on the outside. btw, these are the dunlops

When I first got the vehicle back, I thought the noise had improved. But it was wishful thinking because its just as bad as it was when before I had the struts replaced. This is a bit of a cause for concern since basically there is a more serious issue happening if leaking struts were not the cause. (btw, I am irked that they put an additional 10 miles on my car while they had it and did not notice the squeak was still there).

Anywhoo, now that I have it back, I notice that both the rear tires are exhibiting extreme wear on the outer rim, or toe wear.

Now for the million dollar question. Since the rear suspension is pretty much failing in multiple places, can it be to blame for the abnormal tire wear? I guess it is difficult to say for sure since we don't know what else is wrong with the suspension, but it they are causing my tires to wear unevenly, then the cost of tire replacement should be prorated and/or sold to me at a reduced price. Mind you, I bring my vehicle in every 5 thousand miles and I assume they do the necessary tire rotations.

Thoughts? Is this something you would bring up to your SA?

Last edited by RXSF; 05-30-14 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 09:28 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car makes the EXACT same squeaking noise as you explain going up and down driveways. However, I was unable to re-produce it with a Lexus technician except for once and he barely heard it. He said since it is sooo hard to reproduce there is not much he could do.

Could it be the rear trailing arm/bushings? Is your squeak easily produced each and every time? If it is than they should fix it for sure.

I've been reading through the other threads that there were improved and redesigned rear trail arm/bushings and there is also a TSB on it.

We need someone to post the TSB or work order showing the TSB.
Old 05-30-14, 09:46 PM
RXSF

Ive done a lot of TSB searching ( I even have access to a TSB library paid subscription) and do not see anything under related...
Old 05-30-14, 09:48 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXSF
Ive done a lot of TSB searching ( I even have access to a TSB library paid subscription) and do not see anything under related...
hmmm...many people have said there are TSB for rear trailing arm updates...I don't get it
Old 05-31-14, 04:49 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get under the car with a can of Rust-Check. Soak all the rubber components/pivot points/springs etc. you can get at. Careful not to get any on the brakes. . At times, road debris can find it's way into the smallest places.Certain pieces will also begin to dry up, loose the lubricating grease, & present as a squeek. Let it soak in for 2-3 days & then try the bumpy road again.Easy to do & it might find the source of the suspension noise.
This has worked many times for me on used Civics I was buying for the kids while in university.
The rubber bushings & mounts will deteriorate with age & with road salt. Wear & tear can reduce the positioning of the suspension components at the rubber bushings & mounts. This is normal on any car & usually rectified with an alignment. Extreme cases will require replacement parts.
OEM Dunlops..............get rid of them. OEM on mine as well, replaced at about 30K km, about 20K miles. Unusual wear patterns, noisy, just not a great tire for this application. I went to a Michelin Latitude Touring HP, different car on the road.
Old 05-31-14, 07:09 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

rxsf-does your squeak happen every time or does it just happen on certain dips/bumps?

Mine only happens on the dip that comes right after a stop sign.

The service tech told me to stop bottoming out my car and driving it so hard thru dips! But how could I drive it hard when it is a mini dip right in front of a stop sign?
Old 05-31-14, 09:20 AM
RXSF

Thanks Steve. If I have time in the near future, Ill see what I can do. At the same time, since the car is under warranty, Id rather have them check it out and replace any defective parts.

2008M3, it didn't used to be so bad. In fact, it used to happen only on the largest dips in the road, not when exiting/entering driveways. It has progressively gotten worse where even the little storm drains on the road with minor dips cause the noise.
Old 05-31-14, 10:28 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people get an alignment done annually? Very important since these CUVs are car-based.
Old 05-31-14, 02:29 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008M3
My car makes the EXACT same squeaking noise as you explain going up and down driveways. However, I was unable to re-produce it with a Lexus technician except for once and he barely heard it. He said since it is sooo hard to reproduce there is not much he could do.

Could it be the rear trailing arm/bushings? Is your squeak easily produced each and every time? If it is than they should fix it for sure.

I've been reading through the other threads that there were improved and redesigned rear trail arm/bushings and there is also a TSB on it.

We need someone to post the TSB or work order showing the TSB.

L-SB-0013-13

February 28, 2013

Rear Shock Squeak and/or Leak
Service Category
Suspension
Section
Rear Suspension
Market
USA

Introduction

Some 2010 - 2012 model year RX 350 and RX 450h vehicles may exhibit a squeak coming from the rear of the vehicle when going over an uneven road surface. In addition some vehicles may also display evidence of an oil leak from the rear shock absorber(s)
Old 05-31-14, 04:43 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
L-SB-0013-13

February 28, 2013

Rear Shock Squeak and/or Leak
Service Category
Suspension
Section
Rear Suspension
Market
USA

Introduction

Some 2010 - 2012 model year RX 350 and RX 450h vehicles may exhibit a squeak coming from the rear of the vehicle when going over an uneven road surface. In addition some vehicles may also display evidence of an oil leak from the rear shock absorber(s)
Thanks Chuck but I'm looking for the TSB for rear trailing arms as they replaced my rear shocks and the noise is still there.
Old 05-31-14, 06:18 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008M3
Thanks Chuck but I'm looking for the TSB for rear trailing arms as they replaced my rear shocks and the noise is still there.
I don't see one.
My 2011 RX350 is used to make a squealing noise in the rear when I made a sudden stop and go (brake on brake off). Lexus dealership greased up the back of brake pads and the bushings in the rear. The squealing noise was reduced a lot, but not completely gone. After a year, I didn't even notice the squealing noise was gone.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 05-31-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 06:52 PM
lacroix
Driver School Candidate

rear squeak usually comes from spring seat on these, have seen tons of complaint towards this problem, I always spray lube and goes away for a little bit but comes back. I have yet to find a remedy but not a serious problem toward your vehicle. as far as alignment I would wait till u put on Michelin or better tires than hose Dunlop and make sure the tech adjust it properly.
Old 06-01-14, 09:19 PM
prosales72
Driver School Candidate

I was also experiencing a squeaky rear suspension. The squeaks would happen when the temperature was over 60 degree. But the suspension squeak would not happen at 50 degrees (or below) or when it was raining. It was annoying! The first time I took my 450h in, I couldn't replicate the squeak on my drive to the dealership, but I brought the car in anyway. As tech looked over the rear suspension, they noticed the shocks were leaking on both side...they replaced under warrantee. Drove the car home no squeak, the rear felt stiffer but comfortable. After a few days the squeak came back. Ugh! So I made another appointment and asked for a tech to do a ride along to help diagose the problem. The morning of my appointment it was 40 degrees in the morning...no squeak. So I called and rescheduled my appointment for a week later. The next appointment came it was 65 degrees and rainy...again no squeak. Called and rescheduled again. The next appointment 70 degrees...the squeak was there! Drove in the service bay and picked up the tech. I had the tech sit in the back seat...we drove off, I exited the parking lot...squeak...drove back into the parking lot...squeak. The tech said the bushings in the rear trailing arms were probably worn. My 450h was in service for 2 day, waiting for the trailing arms to come in (replaced both right and left side, under warrantee). Today, my car is squeak free.

My advice...you know your car better than the service department...be persistent! You know when something isn't right. Convincing the service department, was the hardest part because it took so much of my time. Do your homework, prior to taking my car in for service I drove the streets around my dealership looking for areas that could replicate the squeak.

Also, it's important to get an alignment after the work is complete (per a recommendation from another thread)...my alignment was completely out of wack after they were finished. My service advisor didn't think it was necessary...but I'm glad I did (I had to pay for the alignment).

To recap: bushing in the rear left and right trailing arms is the culprate. The bushings can not be just replace...entire trailing arms need to be replaced. Check shocks for leaks. All this is under warrantee.

Hopefully, this helps you....
Old 06-01-14, 09:56 PM
prosales72
Driver School Candidate

here is the thread I was referring to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-bushings.html

I should mention that I printed this thread and gave it to my SA, he basically said he could not use this to diagnose the problem...they needed proof that my car was really squeaking.
Old 06-01-14, 09:56 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I get the squeak going over speed bumps out of warranty so not sure if the TSB would apply.

Quick Reply: Suspension Issues and Tire Wear