RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buy new ?? or used Lexus RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 01:02 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What sounds better? I drive a Murano, I drive a Venza. I drive a Forester. I drive a Pathfinder, or I drive a LEXUS.
30,000 miles is nothing with the reputation Lexus has with the RX. Long term, I think you would be ahead value and reliability wise, plus have all the enjoyment of owning the best. Only thing I would recommend if you decide on the used Lexus you mentioned is making sure you have new, or close to new tires, all services completed and up to date, and current map updates (assuming it has navigation). Also, does it have everything you need option wise including AWD.
Might also want to keep looking, as with the 2015 RX's now in stock, more slightly used RX's will be arriving.
Old 05-15-14, 04:46 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
What sounds better? I drive a Murano, I drive a Venza. I drive a Forester. I drive a Pathfinder, or I drive a LEXUS.
30,000 miles is nothing with the reputation Lexus has with the RX. Long term, I think you would be ahead value and reliability wise, plus have all the enjoyment of owning the best. Only thing I would recommend if you decide on the used Lexus you mentioned is making sure you have new, or close to new tires, all services completed and up to date, and current map updates (assuming it has navigation). Also, does it have everything you need option wise including AWD.
Might also want to keep looking, as with the 2015 RX's now in stock, more slightly used RX's will be arriving.
Very well said.
Old 05-18-14, 12:00 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I would buy a Lexus New. I actually bought my RX350 CPO on the gun because my Audi had just come off warranty and had a major repair. Upset at the bad service I got and the problems with the car I trotted to my Lexus dealer. Left that day with CPO RX.

1. Def check prices, I paid a bit more than similar priced RX's from other dealers. I realized for a bit more I could have bought a GX used.
2. Why I would buy new on my next Lexus because I only saved $8,000 dollars. Lexus vehicles do not depreciate fast. As owner its good; as a buyer its bad. As someone who will hope to keep this car for at least 8 -10 years it doesn't really matter as it will be to old for demand pricing. The RX350 AWD I bought was a 2010 with 38,000 miles for $39,999 I think. A new RX (late 2012 at that time) would have been $48,XXXish similar equipped. Considering Lexus products have good reliability and should last. I wish I had bought new. Also on another note Lexus has good financing on new cars, not used car. The used car financing rate in my opinion was so high I ended using my savings to buy it outright with some help from the parents. Then again I thad thought those 0.09 financing for 3 years applied to new and used; so anything above that seemed high.

At the end of the day this is just my opinion. Their is no real definite answer to this question. For me the savings did not outweigh the mileage and the overall investment. Since I was already paying $40,000ish I might as well paid an extra eight to get a new one and also get 3 years of almost no interest financing. When buying a european car I would buy CPO as they deprecate like a rock on some models and sometimes have promotional financing. I bought a 2 year old A6 with 3xxxx miles CPO for roughly $34XXXish; the window sticker when new retailed for $57XXX. You can get a lightly used E class for a literal steal when you consider the new car price. This is not true with Lexus.

Last edited by satnav; 05-18-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 01:05 PM
alanbussey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a "99 certified with 14k miles from a dealer and also added warranty to extend beyond the certified mileage limit. Drove it for nearly 10 trouble free years. Traded it in for a 2010 loaner vehicle with 14K. So far 15K trouble free miles (did not opt for additional warranty this time. In both cases the vehicles looked as good as new - couldn't tell the difference. You can't beat a used or certified RX.
Old 05-18-14, 01:18 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest fear with the RX I have, is that I will never be satisfied with another car, being a car drifter in my time that's something to worry about. Guess if I now have to shift over to one of the options the OP mentions, I'll maybe just run back to the RX.
Old 05-18-14, 02:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

What sounds better: I drive a Ferrari, I drive an Aston Martin, I drive a McLaren, or I drive a Lexus?

It is all a matter of perspective. Personally, if I am selecting a vehicle based solely on how it is perceived by myself and others I hope someone would bring me to my senses for an attitude adjustment. I drive a Lexus because it is reliable. I drive an RX because it fits my needs. And so forth... is a more proper line of reasoning. Sure, the other vehicles I listed are more prestigious, but they are hardly practical for my needs.

As for the OP's situation, all the vehicles they mentioned were typical wagon or tall wagon configurations with the possible exception of the Pathfinder as nipponbird pointed out. The Pathfinder is definitely bigger as well and has that third-row seating. As a result, I think the comparisons are fairly valid especially when you are looking at a price point where the other vehicles are new while the RX is an older/used model. A new 2015 Nissan Murano, for example, may have some technology and feature advantages over a 2011 Lexus RX350 which are desirable and any shortcomings might be addressed in other ways.
Old 05-18-14, 03:21 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
What sounds better: I drive a Ferrari, I drive an Aston Martin, I drive a McLaren, or I drive a Lexus?

It is all a matter of perspective. Personally, if I am selecting a vehicle based solely on how it is perceived by myself and others I hope someone would bring me to my senses for an attitude adjustment. I drive a Lexus because it is reliable. I drive an RX because it fits my needs. And so forth... is a more proper line of reasoning. Sure, the other vehicles I listed are more prestigious, but they are hardly practical for my needs.

As for the OP's situation, all the vehicles they mentioned were typical wagon or tall wagon configurations with the possible exception of the Pathfinder as nipponbird pointed out. The Pathfinder is definitely bigger as well and has that third-row seating. As a result, I think the comparisons are fairly valid especially when you are looking at a price point where the other vehicles are new while the RX is an older/used model. A new 2015 Nissan Murano, for example, may have some technology and feature advantages over a 2011 Lexus RX350 which are desirable and any shortcomings might be addressed in other ways.
You make a very good point. Especially regarding value of money. I bought the RX in late 2012 as a CPO 2010 because I find customer service to be my number one priority in any purchase. I want a product that a company stands behind. I have a Audi in the past and it was a real disappointment because it didn't meet my needs. Handling is a + not a requirement. In addition to safety and price range for me customer service, quality material/ reliability, practicality, tech toys are on my shopping list. The RX fits all those bills.

In regards to your last few sentences you make an excellent point also. My co worker recently bought a Nissan Rogue it cost a good amount less than my used RX and his Rogue is new. It now matches and surpasses my RX in regards to tech features. IE 360 front and rear camera, self parking, blind spot, web apps,

It doesn't have some other minor details more reserved for upscale cars IE rain sensing wipers, Telematics (Enform), higher quality leather, etc.

I think the original poster should list their top 5 things they are looking for to make a good choice. Buying a car is big thing you can't return it in most cases.
Old 05-18-14, 03:59 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think listing what's important is a great idea no one here knows the original posters requirements or tastes. it's true that everyone looks for different things when buying a car. For me reliability & customer service are at the top of the list. Lexus fits the bill in both categories.
I have to admit though, it make me feel good when people look at my Lexus with admiration. i would buy the used RX over any of the others.
Old 05-18-14, 05:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
You make a very good point.

I think the original poster should list their top 5 things they are looking for to make a good choice.
Thanks. Your comments are appreciated as well.

With all the brands updating their dealership facilities and services there is sometimes little difference between brands like Lexus and Toyota in a given geographic area. For example, the local Lexus dealerships in my area do not, or at least have not, been providing loaner vehicles if your service will take less than two hours. That does not include the wait time to get your vehicle into a bay or for the car wash afterwards. So, that perceived Lexus advantage does not apply for most of my visits these days. Not even for the last recall my vehicle was involved in. As a result, a local dealership who had an express lube service and a rental car facility on site might be a better alternative if that was my main purchase criteria. Therefore, I agree that having a list of top criteria, probably any number would work but 5 is a good short list, is a necessity. Doesn't even need to include all vehicle features as I have shown above. Perhaps it is dealer location or service hours. Also, I recommend not only talking to salespeople but to the service manager before any purchase to understand exactly what you will be getting after the sale. The sales folks are notorious, even at Lexus, of stretching the truth a bit to get the sale.

For the difference in price, if all things otherwise are equal, it could be hard to justify spending the additional money just on the Lexus badge. As a result we are left to consider what makes the Lexus a superior purchase. What we are left with are things like: available features, versatility, form and function, quality of materials, ergonomics... and so forth.
Old 05-18-14, 09:32 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@ go3Ds and RX330inFL
Hmmm.. I drive a Prius and i park it at my beach front house in Malibu sounds better to me
Old 05-18-14, 09:40 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only used car I ever bought was a Prelude but it was for my son. I buy brand new cars only; I know about depreciation that as soon as you drive it out of the dealership it drops in value a lot. But I keep my cars for a long time. I just don't like the idea of driving a car that somebody else farted in and maybe boogers under the seat. (excuse my french).
Old 05-18-14, 11:23 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
The only used car I ever bought was a Prelude but it was for my son. I buy brand new cars only; I know about depreciation that as soon as you drive it out of the dealership it drops in value a lot. But I keep my cars for a long time. I just don't like the idea of driving a car that somebody else farted in and maybe boogers under the seat. (excuse my french).
There's a case to be made out for strictly buying new cars. After all nothing beats the smell of a new car. However, if the old lady up the road who used her RX for driving to church on Sundays, wants to sell it, I'll be interested. Otherwise one must be wide awake when buying a second hand RX or any other car. The ones to stay away from is the multi driver car. Once had a colleague, who tossed the keys at anyone who expressed a wish to pop down to mackiedee for a burger. At 20K his car was falling apart. Also the RX with the scuff marks on the bumpers and the parking dings on the doors - sure shine of a careless driver.
What I'm trying to say is, not a good idea to be too dogmatic. If a bargain comes my way, I'll keep an open mind. Knew a guy who didn't want to read a newspaper if it was " second hand" and another guy at the riding club who on the other hand didn't want to swing a leg over a new saddle - guess both had their reasons.
Old 05-19-14, 02:25 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
For me, it was worth it to buy an RX, though I bought ours new. It is the highest rated vehicle, in any category, for reliability.

http://www.prleap.com/pr/199421/

The NX is Lexus' new SUV. It's slightly smaller and less expensive than an RX. Should run in the $35k and up price range, or thereabouts. It's due out this fall.

http://www.lexus.com/concept/NX/
I agree, the RX does everything you want in a SUV. Found a 2011 with 30k miles for $27, thought it was a good deal.
Old 05-19-14, 03:32 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tromly
I agree, the RX does everything you want in a SUV. Found a 2011 with 30k miles for $27, thought it was a good deal.
Well, for that price you can't go wrong and the vehicle's life is actually still ahead of it. Here you can only buy a small, basic SUV for that price new, that will never be on the level of an RX.
Old 05-19-14, 08:01 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

We are going to look at a 2011 RX 350 with 8K miles and a new 2014 Murano. Just about the same price, $32-33K and the RX has more stuff we like. AND NO NAVIGATION. I guess it will come down to whichever one gives me the most for my 06 Murano.

We really appreciate all the input. Some ask about the 5 most important things, luxury, dependability, safety, comfortable and shear "fun to drive".

Thanks again,

Bill

Quick Reply: Buy new ?? or used Lexus RX 350