RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Pls help new Lexus buyer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 06:06 PM
Artichoke1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls help new Lexus buyer!

I'm in the market for an RX350 and this will be my first Lexus purchase (and much higher priced than any other car I've owned). I spent about 2 hrs with a salesman the other day, including test drives in an RX350 and ES350. Unfortunately I don't have much time to choose my options and try to find a close match because I promised my current car to someone. I could really use a mentor! Any suggestions?
Old 05-11-14, 07:33 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Artichoke1
I'm in the market for an RX350 and this will be my first Lexus purchase (and much higher priced than any other car I've owned). I spent about 2 hrs with a salesman the other day, including test drives in an RX350 and ES350. Unfortunately I don't have much time to choose my options and try to find a close match because I promised my current car to someone. I could really use a mentor! Any suggestions?
I suggest you rent a car for about a week or so in the interim because you don't want to rush into a sizable car purchase in haste. You need some time to try various models and options so you get what you want.
Maybe the dealership could rent you one of their loaners, with the agreement that part or all of the rental fee would go towards your new car. Our dealership has an Avis office on site for loaners.
Please let us know what transpires. I think you will be happy.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 05-11-14, 08:58 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're considering an ES 350,
Test drive a toyota Avalon. I honestly prefer the interior vs an ES.

Im biased recommending the RX, since i currently own one and i prefer SUVs/ CUVs more than a sedan.
Old 05-11-14, 09:27 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
If you're considering an ES 350,
Test drive a toyota Avalon. I honestly prefer the interior vs an ES.

Im biased recommending the RX, since i currently own one and i prefer SUVs/ CUVs more than a sedan.
I agree with Mark. I owned a '97 Avalon for 13 years and loved it. It went to a good home.
Ray A.
Old 05-12-14, 03:54 AM
Artichoke1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I already decided on the RX350, but am wondering about the following:

- 2014 or 2015? (the local dealer doesn't have many 2014's left, but there may be some nearby)
- AWD?
- luxury pkg with navig.? (they seem to go together here)
- any other extras I should ask for ... wheels, tires, glass film, etc.?
- contact internet/fleet salesman for best deal?
- how to determine best price-- call other dealers?
Old 05-12-14, 06:22 AM
Kyle76
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife had an '06 Avalon Limited prior to our recent purchase of an RX350 to replace it. We test drove a new Avalon and were very disappointed with it, especially the interior appointments. The '06 had lots of nice wood grain and even the wood grain on the steering wheel. It was a very nice interior. The new Avalon had very little wood and was just a much cheaper-looking interior. The '06 was very Lexus-like, while the '14 was more Camry-like.
Old 05-12-14, 06:24 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a quibble on tires. If it has the Dunlops ask if they will swap them for Michelin. The Dunlop Grandtrek is not a very good tire, IMO. (Check out the reviews on Tirerack.com) I found them to be unsafe on snow and ice and a bit loud.

AWD is a nice option if you drive in snowy conditions otherwise it costs you about 1MPG in fuel economy.

Nav is mandatory for me but it is an expensive option that can be more cost effectively handled by a stand alone device.

I think BSM, Blind Side Monitor should be mandatory.

14 or 15... If your can deal with the salesman, you will probably pay close to the same for either but the 15 will always be 1 model year newer and will have the higher resale value given similar condition come time to trade. There is not much different in the two. I believe the 2016 model will see the new body style intro but thats just a guess on my part.

If I were about to purchase I'd think about delaying my decision until the new model arrives.
Old 05-19-14, 06:44 PM
Artichoke1
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I've narrowed it down a bit:

Yes -- 2015, Premium pkg w/BSM, heated seats, Intuitive Parking Assist, & towing prep, Michelin tires!
No -- AWD & HUD
Not sure -- hybrid, navigation

I drove both the FWD and hybrid today...they were definitely different, but both were good. I'm leaning against navigation, but the hybrids all have it, which pushes the price up quite a bit. It's a tough decision.

My local dealer doesn't have any with my preferred colors, so I'm going to call around tomorrow (since I could pick it up myself and maybe save on delivery fees). Unfortunately I need this vehicle within the next few weeks. Any additional purchasing advice is welcome.
Old 05-21-14, 09:45 PM
klau25
Driver School Candidate

I would say don't go w/ the hybrid especially if you don't care about navi. I was debating about the hybrid and did the calculation. it's about at least 6-7 years to get your money back from gas savings.

Okay, I've narrowed it down a bit:

Yes -- 2015, Premium pkg w/BSM, heated seats, Intuitive Parking Assist, & towing prep, Michelin tires!
No -- AWD & HUD
Not sure -- hybrid, navigation

I drove both the FWD and hybrid today...they were definitely different, but both were good. I'm leaning against navigation, but the hybrids all have it, which pushes the price up quite a bit. It's a tough decision.

My local dealer doesn't have any with my preferred colors, so I'm going to call around tomorrow (since I could pick it up myself and maybe save on delivery fees). Unfortunately I need this vehicle within the next few weeks. Any additional purchasing advice is welcome.
Old 05-22-14, 08:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Can't say it enough times that going hybrid isn't just about mileage and trying to recoup the higher cost.
Old 05-22-14, 10:55 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Can't say it enough times that going hybrid isn't just about mileage and trying to recoup the higher cost.
Couldn't agree more! The hybrid RX has many benefits and extras besides the gas savings. Many don't realize all the standard features included with the hybrid. AND of course a complete joy to drive. I thank myself every day I drive ours.

As for recouping the extra $6,650 cost of a hybrid. We got top dollar when trading in our 2010 with 40,000 miles. Not a bait and switch, as we also got a deep discount on our 2013. Resale value for the hybrid is excellent, even before factoring in gas savings and entertainment value.

Can't go wrong with RX, hybrid or not, but did want to mention the value is there with the hybrid, for those who want to spend the extra money.
Old 05-22-14, 11:19 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The OEM Nav is a huge waste of money, IMHO. However, unless custom-ordered, no RX450h's hit these shores without a Nav. I did not want the Nav, but ended up getting it anyway because I wanted an RX450h.

I completely agree that RX450h is not about money savings over its pure gas stablemate. This argument may be applied to a Prius, but not a Lexus. The way it is marketed, you get a V8 performance, but instead of burning more gas, you save at the pump. The drivetrain is also superior to pure mechanical system.
Old 05-22-14, 11:21 AM
klau25
Driver School Candidate

Haha, nice, now you all re making me second think myself for not getting a hybrid.
Old 05-22-14, 11:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by klau25
Haha, nice, now you all re making me second think myself for not getting a hybrid.
You did fine. Wait a few years and you can revisit your needs. Technology marches on and perhaps you will be able to get a SUV capable of 40MPG.
Old 05-22-14, 05:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
100% AGREE. For me it was the ultra-smooth and library quiet powertrain with my past RXh. If you want the classic Lexus luxury experience, then the h is for you.

Quick Reply: Pls help new Lexus buyer!