RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is "someday" now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 10:06 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
We'll make you an RX convert yet!

A few weeks later I was still freaked out by the whole process and wondering if I did the right thing buying a Lexus. A dear coworker told me something I haven't forgotten to this day - with quality you only cry once. Needless to say I've used that to justify what I spend since. And putting my hand over that number on the bottom helps too
Very sage advice Anita ... I too feel that my RX is a quality luxury product.

We'll get OP in an RX yet !!!! Hey, and if OP buys a hybrid, it will get better MPG than his current car too.

btw, gave my baby a bath yesterday (while hubby was installing our third Instant Hot Water dispenser in the kitchen - not a quality product, they seem to last only 8 years with lots of complaining on the Internet about them).

Last edited by cflutist; 04-29-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 11:15 AM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, you all are great... Anita, Thanks so much for your stories and personal experiences. At least I know I'm not alone and am somewhat normal.

My latest news is pretty good. Insurance increase is only $70 yearly, but BMV estimates plates at $600-$625. Plate prices didn't suprise me, thats pretty much how it was when I bought the car I'm driving now. The insurance really suprised me. Very Nice.

Insurance for a GS 350 would increase $300 year.. Good to know, helps solidify decisions.

Cheryl, The MPGs do bother me a bit - but I'll be moving out of a car that requires premium gas..that should help a little. Wish I had thought to ask about the insuance rates on a 450h.. Just in case one is available and priced where I can't pass it up.

Now, on with a search for the "one" I just can't pass up. Waiting on Indy Lexus dealer to reply to emails we have going back n forth this morning. I really wish more than one dealership was within a 50 mile radius.

Gotta get off here, break time is over!
Thanks again !!
Sheila
Old 04-29-14, 12:50 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If someone hasn't mentioned it already and you can live with a smaller vehicle, why not look at the NX when it comes out? It will be a lower price and have higher mileage.
Old 04-29-14, 02:58 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I say go for it! From what has been posted the payment you will be comfortable with. Also, you probably can get one in the low 40's, unless you want every option. I also had your mindset 10 years ago when I bought my 04. Took my parents to see it, and like my mom said- you can't take it with you, if you can afford it get it! Happy to say we still have the 04 & 2 months ago picked up a 2014. Couldn't be happier. If your dealership is like most Lexus dealers you will probably be pleasantly surprised by the service also.
Old 04-29-14, 05:48 PM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

Like some others here, I also like to keep my cars for a long time. Lexus' reputation for longevity and reliability was important to me. I also like a good value, and the RX holds its value about as well as anything out there on wheels that is not an antique collectors item. And I definitely believe in buying quality and only crying once (which is why I am also a fan of Filson products). But there is something else that factored into the equation for me.

I have made the mistake of buying the wrong vehicle before, especially when trying to be frugal, and I can remember the happiness cost that I suffered as the length of ownership bore on. On the other hand, eight years ago, for the first time, I bought the right vehicle when I bought a Chevy crew cab truck. I bought it just the way I wanted it, and I have never regretted it. Eight years and 134,000 miles later, I still enjoy that truck and if I totaled it today, I would probably go right back to the Chevy house and buy another one exactly like it. I have never regretted a penny I spent on that truck. Rather, I have had literally miles of smiles in it.

I am a new RX owner - just about one month now. And I did wince a little when I signed on the dotted line. But the 0.9% interest rate is silly-low, and I got the car exactly as I wanted. Had to order it, but doubt I'll ever regret it. I may pass this vehicle on to my daughter in eight years, but I expect it to remain in the family. Now if I can just keep my wife out of MY new ride!

The joy of owning exactly the right vehicle, driving it every day, seeing it every day... that's worth a lot! You can't take it with you, and life's too short to be miserable. If you can swing it, and it's want you really really want, and you know that it will hold its value (so if you later decide you made the wrong choice, you can get out of it without too much cost), then I say choose happiness. Choose the Lexus RX 350.
Old 05-19-14, 08:22 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to drop in with an update! The dealership called today with news they located a vehicle fitting my specifications. I thought about it one last time - and decided to take the plunge. My 2015 RX should arrive next week. By the way, I selected the Satin Cashmere / Parchment color combination.

The dealer had one on the showroom floor last week in that color combo (big red SOLD tag in windshield), seeing it in person solidified my decision on the colors.

Thanks for your advice and comments, I considered everything (hundreds of times over).

... A 15 year dream is almost reality ...
Old 05-20-14, 08:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats Hoosiers. Satin Cashmere is pretty rare on the road. Keep us updated as the date nears. I'm glad your dream is finally coming true.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-20-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 08:51 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! I have no doubt you made the right choice.
My 15 arrives in a few days. So we can be excited together.
Old 05-20-14, 12:22 PM
cflutist
Driver

congrats !!! So excited for both of you.
Old 05-20-14, 12:23 PM
cflutist
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Congrats Hoosier. Satin Cashmere is pretty rare on the road. Keep us updated as the date nears. I'm glad your dream is finally coming true.
If the dealer had one of this color on the lot, we would have bought it.

I bet Hoosier won't have to wash her car as often as we do.

Last edited by cflutist; 05-20-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 12:24 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go for it!

We were looking for a car/suv and stopped by the Lexus dealer. Ended up buying car. My wife was astonished. "Should we not talk about it first?". When you want it, just get it.
Old 05-20-14, 12:31 PM
Kyle76
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We drove to the Lexus dealership 60 miles away a few weeks ago to "just look." Came home with one. <shrugs> It reminded me of the time I took my wife to "just look" at some puppies years ago.
Old 05-20-14, 02:06 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations, Hoosiers!

It is difficult to spend more money than you're used to--I get that. I recently purchased my (former lease) 2013 RX 350 (8,700 miles) and couldn't be happier! I drove three hours (one way) to Ft. Worth, TX to get it--totally worth the approximately $8,000 it saved me. As it turned out, I paid for this Lexus the same as I did for the 2012 Hyundai Genesis (do NOT hold their value) that I bought new in April 2012. Wished I'd known then that I could have bought a Lexus for the same money! (I couldn't have in Oklahoma City but I could in Texas.)

Glad you pulled the trigger and hope you're thrilled with your new ride!
Old 05-20-14, 02:10 PM
TorontoRX
Rookie

Congratulations Hoosiers and Sandy14.. you guys will love your new rides for sure! Pics when they arrive or they never did!
Old 05-20-14, 03:12 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the help and advice found here. I'm SO comfortable with my decision today - its freaky - like the calm after a storm. I'm definitely SUPER excited for next week to get here.

Sandy, congrats on yours as well !

I'll post a pic or two in the appropriate thread as soon as I take delivery and drive her home. That drive home just may take me a few extra hours though. LOL

Sheila

Quick Reply: Is "someday" now?