RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Newbie needs CPO buying advice

Old 04-22-14, 09:36 AM
japple55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs CPO buying advice

Hello all,
Interested in purchasing a 2010-2012 RX350 CPO, or at least one still under manf. warranty so I can potentially purchase an extended warranty. I have a few questions I've not been able to find answers to:
1. Is it possible to negotiate a CPO from a dealer or is the sticker price non-negotiable? (last time I purchased from a dealer was 1987 so not in my element here) I can pay cash but like the idea of 36 mos. zero interest financing from a time value of money perspective.

2. Is it possible to get a credit for the dealer's CPO cost and purchase a longer extended warranty instead?

3. My last extended warranty purchase was on my current '01 Honda Odyssey and I was able to purchase it from an out of state dealer at a substantial discount to what a local dealer wanted. I just called a Lexus dealer in MA mentioned in these forums and was told the rules have changed; they can now only be sold to an in-state address. I live in FL and am not aware of any dealers offering them online at competitive prices (why should they?) so may be stuck with buying from the dealer where I purchase the car. Anyone know any differently?

4. A Lexus dealer across the state seems to have a good inventory of CPOs - I assume I can buy the CPO anywhere and my local dealer will honor it without the rolling eyeballs?
Any information would be greatly appreciated,
Jim (soon to be (hopefully) RX350 owner)
Old 04-22-14, 10:26 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Every price is negotiable. depends on how hungry the dealer is & how much he has into the car.
2. Look at negotiating with dealer on an extended warranty.
3. Look at combining the total price to include the warranty.
4.Warranty issues, yes. Use the price/condition of the CPO's available against the local dealer. Give him/her a chance to match or better it. Once they know you are very serious about spending the $$, sometimes the game changes a bit.
Old 04-22-14, 12:22 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Interested in purchasing a 2010-2012 RX350 CPO

1. Yes, CPO price is negotiable. Our '11RX was CPO stickered at 38,400, paid 35,500 in 10/2013. Ask your salesman about zero interest. They will probably offer low interest, in my opinion.
2. I don't understand "Credit for CPO cost."
3. We are in CA and we could buy an extended warranty out of state, but went forward without the extended. Maybe things are different in FL or in 2014.
4. Yes, CPO warranties are good at all Lexus dealers. As for rolling eyes, stay tuned to this board for dealer stories. Again, IMHO, not meant to offend any posters. The service department doesn't care where you bought the car. They are separate from the sales department. They are there to service your Lexus and will charge you accordingly. Conversely, I don't think you will get special treatment just because you are servicing and purchasing at the same dealership.
Good luck. I think you will do well.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 04-23-14, 07:21 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One good thing to know. If you purchase a CPO vehicle the only time you can get an extended warranty on it is at the time of purchase. You can't add an extended warranty later when the CPO is about to expire. I have confirmed this with several dealers and with the guy that I purchased my first extended warranty from a number of years ago. So if you're going to get an extended warranty (beyond the CPO period), you'll have to do it when you buy it. Also, I've been told by a reputable Lexus dealer that once a car is made a CPO vehicle, they can't (won't?) revert it back to a non-CPO car..
Old 04-23-14, 08:19 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some other items to request in your CPO deal:

1. New tires. Seems like most CPO's have them but double-check to be certain.

2. Dealer performed the most recent major service. Or if the mileage is closing in on a major service, I would ask that it be performed.

3. Brakes. I like to request this after the pricing negotation stalls out. Ask that new pads be installed, or at the very least make sure you're satisfied with the life remaining on the pads.
Old 04-23-14, 08:46 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
One good thing to know. If you purchase a CPO vehicle the only time you can get an extended warranty on it is at the time of purchase. You can't add an extended warranty later when the CPO is about to expire. I have confirmed this with several dealers and with the guy that I purchased my first extended warranty from a number of years ago. So if you're going to get an extended warranty (beyond the CPO period), you'll have to do it when you buy it. Also, I've been told by a reputable Lexus dealer that once a car is made a CPO vehicle, they can't (won't?) revert it back to a non-CPO car..
I agree. The extended CPO warranty was not available to us after delivery. We have the CPO warranty which is three years from our date of purchase or 100K total vehicle miles, whichever occurs first.
Ray A.
Old 04-23-14, 09:41 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
a reputable Lexus dealer that once a car is made a CPO vehicle, they can't (won't?) revert it back to a non-CPO car..
My understanding to make the car CPO qualified is essentially spend $$ on it. Tires, brakes & other wear items worn no more than XX %. Might even repaint that hood or bumper if a quick touch-up doesn't hide it. Latest scheduled service carried out.Good cleaning inside, might replace a badly soiled/ worn floor mat etc.. The essence is to get the car to a point where it's an attractive buy on the used market.

Ours was a non-CPO purchase with 28K km (17K miles) on it, 29 months since the in-service date.
Had a scuff on the bumper we allowed for during negotiations with previous lessee.
Looking for another Honda at the time, stumbled onto the private ad.
Old 04-23-14, 05:49 PM
PrfBarto
Driver School Candidate

Default Our CPO purchase

We bought a 2012 RX 350 from Lexus of Orlando. Our salesman told us that the dealership has to pay the corporation $2000 to have a Lexus corporation person come out to inspect and totally make the car as if brand new. Ours had brand new tires, an alignment and in perfect condition, from what we could tell. They also gave us both sets of new floor mats (rubber and carpeted). We are extremely pleased with our new vehicle.
Old 04-25-14, 06:06 AM
japple55
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Everyone!!!

Excellent information and advice; I feel much better about my chances for a successful transaction now. All good information to know before approaching the dealership.
MDames2: I had no idea the CPO precludes an extended warranty down the road, and not sure I would have thought to ask. So THANKS bigtime for that!

This is a great forum!