RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Opinions on stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 10:57 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Opinions on stereo

My salesman just told me the Lexus suround system is equal or better than the ML system.
any opinions?
Old 04-21-14, 11:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm perfectly happy with the non-ML system. However, that statement does not make sense. Why would Lexus have an ML option then? You should always take everything salespeople tell you with a grain of salt.
Old 04-21-14, 11:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I can't say much because I didn't compare the two back to back, but we have ML and love it.
Old 04-21-14, 11:49 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Yeah, I thought it was a strange thing to say.
We have ML in our GX and are thinking of trading my 2010 RX in for a new one in a few months so I was inquireing about adding ML.
Old 04-21-14, 12:24 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
Yeah, I thought it was a strange thing to say.
We have ML in our GX and are thinking of trading my 2010 RX in for a new one in a few months so I was inquireing about adding ML.
I think the sound quality depends upon what you like to listen to. For example if you like to listen to traffic, weather and talk radio as you drive, then any sound system will do. However, if you appreciate the finer nuances of fine music, then a high-end system is for you. FM signals tend to fade in and out, so no matter what your system, a bad signal will always sound bad. The salesman took a short-cut with that answer. Satellite, MP3 and CD sound will sound different than broadcast. I think you are getting my drift. If I were you, I would listen to the same music CD, one of your favorites, on ML and non-ML cars. Your ear will tell you the difference, if any.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 04-21-14, 12:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Best to take a high quality piece of music with you to the dealership and listen to the two systems back-to-back. Do not use an MP3 file as those are in a lossy format. Rather, an actual CD or a file stored in a lossless format the system can read. The real audiophiles in the audience will know what I am talking about and can chime in about which formats can be read by the new RX sound systems.

Of course, this assumes a dealership will have one of each system in an RX for you to use in your testing. Not the same if the system is in a different model vehicle.
Old 04-21-14, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It makes me wonder if the salesman didn't have any RXs with ML to show you, and would rather you got one off the lot that he did have to choose from. "You want ML? Eh, I don't have any with ML to show you, but the premium audio, which I DO have in stock, is even better..."
Old 04-21-14, 02:37 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that Pioneer makes Lexus "standard" audio system speakers so they aren't bad, but saying they are equal or better than ML is compete jargon.
Old 04-21-14, 03:02 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I can confirm that Pioneer makes the Nav unit.
Old 04-21-14, 03:23 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It makes me wonder if the salesman didn't have any RXs with ML to show you, and would rather you got one off the lot that he did have to choose from. "You want ML? Eh, I don't have any with ML to show you, but the premium audio, which I DO have in stock, is even better..."
I agree!

The two Salespeople I spoke with had no idea that there was any other stereo available. We just bought an RX and the standard stereo is more than fine (as my wife will drive more than I).

BUT if this was going to be "my" car, I would have ONLY bought the ML one, as I really enjoy music, (to the extreme of owning over 5,000 CD's/LP's) and I have no doubt that it sounds better.
Old 04-21-14, 03:37 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on using a CD to compare an ML and a standard surround system.
And it depends on what you're listening to, as others have pointed out.

BUT, here's the problem i see,
the placement of the subwoofer in an RX350 and the mostly empty trunk.

Comparing ML RX 350 vs an ML sedan ( GS350, ES350 etc) the sedan SOUNDS better.
Comparing an ML RX 350 with a JBL toyota RAV4, the RAV 4 SOUNDED Better.

Now, going back to a Non ML RX350, if you tweak it right anc have a good source ALways it's actually good.
BUT if you're listening to XM radio 90% of the time, then you wont hear the difference.
I find an FM signal in HD broadcast Better than XM too.
Old 04-21-14, 04:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

There are reference CDs you can purchase for the purpose of setting up a home or vehicle stereo system, such as the ones from Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/176

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271436437024?lpid=82
Of course, listening to your own music is important as well. There have been complaints by some that the sound systems in the RX lack bass. The large open area in the back does not lend itself to concert hall quality sound either. Now, I have never noticed it much in the ones I have owned or was given as loaners over the years. Perhaps I never noticed it because I listen to a lot of jazz without much bass or just news/NPR radio when driving. However, if your music tastes lean towards music with a heavy hitting bass line then you may find the RX setup a bit lacking. Therefore, another reason why you bring your own music along for testing.
Old 04-21-14, 04:34 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sandy14
My salesman just told me the Lexus suround system is equal or better than the ML system.
any opinions?
I mostly listen to the music on my phone via bluetooth. I always thought the sound was really good in my RX till we got the GX with ML.
This guy has sold me 4 cars over the past 8 years and I always trustred his judgement but now i'm begining to have doubts.
As far as him having an RX with ML, No. they don't have any 2015s yet.
I may just go across town to another dealer and see what he has to say.
Old 04-21-14, 04:45 PM
mohrd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an RX without ML and an SC with ML. Listening to the same CD in both, I can tell you that there is not much difference however, the ML system did produce a few notes that the "premium" system missed. You don't even have to listen very closely to notice the subtle difference. Try both and see how important it is to you. I would suppose the ML option adds some expense.
Old 04-21-14, 08:38 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mohrd
I have an RX without ML and an SC with ML. Listening to the same CD in both, I can tell you that there is not much difference however, the ML system did produce a few notes that the "premium" system missed. You don't even have to listen very closely to notice the subtle difference. Try both and see how important it is to you. I would suppose the ML option adds some expense.
It adds about a $1000 but really, what's another K when your spending upwards of 46K

Quick Reply: Opinions on stereo