RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rx350 liftgate not latching

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 04:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've removed a few unnecessary remarks. Lots of frustration here but we don't need to get personal.

gaga, my suggestion to disable the tailgate was to avoid any further incidents while you wait for corporate. No need to take the chance. You can turn it back on when you bring the RX in, preferably with the items you normally keep in the cargo area to help try to duplicate the problem. Thank you for keeping us updated. And like I said we want to see a happy ending here.
Old 04-24-14, 08:19 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi anita, i know you take the time to write to help me. i appreciate that. please remember that i am new to forums in general and this is my first one. not 100% on the protocols expected. my frustration has turned to total anger at how i have been treated by the people who claim this car is safe and who were fined 1.2 billion for non disclosure etc.
this is why i am on here. i know that there are many little fixes that may take care of the issue temporarily(aside from drilling into the car)..my concern is liability and what can be done to alleviate the problem. this is why i am asking anyone else who has had this or similar issues with their car to respond. at this point i dont want to touch anything in the car to change settings etc. i want them to see exactly how its been and what damage(3k) has occurred as a result of this flaw. its very exhausting to deal with them..yesterday i was getting my hair done and the stylist said she has a lexus and goes out of her way 1hour to a different dealer so as not to deal with this one. i thought that was interesting considering hers was one of the recall cars.. i am giving them all a chance to redeem themselves. i believe in that..however i wont be abused by their dealership antics. the more data i have when i go in there the faster this can get taken care of..obtw..hows everyones mileage on this car..mine is totally miserable and yesterday i smelled rotten eggs in the car..(catalytic? ) any ideas on that?
thanks for staying with this anita.
Old 04-24-14, 08:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

gaga, may I recommend staying short and to the point. There's too much information.

Here's all I could gather:
1) The rear door does not latch at times
2) The rear door will close on its own
3) There is some kind of damage that was caused by an unknown cause that is estimated at $3K

All 3 could be related. It would be nice to know what #3 really is. If your vehicle is damaged, then either Lexus should fix it if it was their fault, or you should be talking to your insurance company.

No dealership will drill holes or randomly modify your vehicle. It is a big liability. The only reason they would do such an operation, is if there was a TSB issues with these exact instructions.
Old 04-24-14, 11:40 AM
websailor
Rookie

There is one thing you could do to disprove that it is an air pressure related issue - leave a window rolled down about 4 inches or more before you get out of the car. If it still happens, then it is not due to any air pressure build up.

I'm not sure if you can replicate the conditions enough to force this fault to happen, but if you can, this might be worth a try. At least you would have eliminated a possible cause (and therefore the idea of drilling a hole in your vehicle).

Sometimes these intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose & fix. Hang in there!
Old 04-24-14, 03:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know the rear hatch in an RX is designed to go back up if it detects any resistance while it's on the way down, before it locks. I can see where if there is enough air pressure from a side door being closed...it could very well cause the door to go back up.

Was the 3K hatch damage done in your garage when the hatch went up? Could it have effected the door safety devices? You never elaborated.

I'm wondering if this could be part of one of your perceived problems?

I guess your other problem as I understand it is that the hatch has opened on it's own, after it was DEFINITELY locked, while the car was in motion? But what if the door was closed...but not locked as you started the car in motion?

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 04-24-14, 09:56 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Right from the start, gaga asked if anyone else is having the same problem. Gaga is looking for people to agree that this is a chronic problem. I think gaga is trying to build a case against Lexus.
Liability was mentioned. Unless gaga gets people to step up to the plate, there's no case.
Like they always say on the Shark Tank, "For that reason, I'm out".
Ray A.
Old 04-27-14, 10:36 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

honestly raylor..i dont have time for class action suits at the moment..i want my car fixed..however..if this is a liablity issue that can affect others i am all for them fixing the problem if its fixable before something goes flying out of the back gate into oncoming vehicles..what if you were behind me and something hit your windshield..i would be liable and so would lexus et al...if someone want to contace me privately about an issue they are having thats up to them. my concern is to find out if anyone had this issue so when the engineers show up and can state that others have had the same problem and get them to give me a solution or take the car back.
the hatch does not open on its own..it does not lock when it comes down when the door gets shut at the same time..the car was full of stuff suitcases etc.the cover was closed and the net was on..nothing blocked the lock..it just wouldnt lock when it came down...i can replicate part of it..did that several times in front of at least 3 service guys at the dealer..enough so one suggested drilling holes..(not gonna happen here)..the bump on the head thing is a known issue...it happened to a neighbor of mine on hers (several years older than my model)..found that out this week..if you talk to enough people you will find things out..
i am sure christopher columbus had to go check out lots of sharks before he got funding for his venture...i just need the right people to read this and let me know if they have had similar issue so i know i am not alone in this..happy to get any info that might help..i appreciate your help everyone ..
Old 04-27-14, 10:38 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

the first time the damage was done to this hatch was when this latch failed to lock..it happened twice..so the first time it was not compromised..its was as it came from the factory then didnt latch..
Old 04-27-14, 10:41 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

twice damaged that is..4 times total that i noticed the issue..not to say that it didnt happen more often..just that when you went over a bump it locked..so it may have happened more often..the beeper doesnt sound until you go 10mph

what is a tsb issue? vlad?
Old 04-27-14, 10:42 PM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

thanks anita!
Old 05-05-14, 02:16 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_Service_Bulletin.
In short, they are instructions for technicians how to fix common problems.
Old 05-07-14, 09:28 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

thanks vlad, guy showed up again to check the car..this time i went over everything with him directly..hope they can figure our or replicate or something..new problem..door lock sensor is internittently not working..amazingly right after i left the shop and parked practically down the street..would not lock when i touched it several times..only when i used the key remote..omg what a pain this car has become..any ideas whats causing that..
also please let me know if anyone else had similar hatch issue and how it was resolved..thanks
Old 05-07-14, 10:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

The smart key door lock will not work in 2 cases, either the remote signal is weak or there is another fob inside of the vehicle. The latter will generate a long beep. So, this brings us to the remote signal. It would fail to communicate with the vehicle if either the battery is running low, or there is another transmitting device next to it, such as a smart phone.
Old 05-09-14, 09:05 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

hi, the phone was not near the key. the touch pad on door is what isnt working. happened twice intermittently..sensor??? what do you think?
thanks
Old 06-18-14, 10:46 AM
gaga
Driver School Candidate

still no news from corporate office..they said a few days and now its two weeks later..still waiting for resolution before i wrap my car like a lemon...would anyone like to see the finished product when i have it wrapped..so upset about the care i have received so far..talk is so cheap..if you tout great customer service then deliver it..next top yelp..giving them until next week before i take further action.these are known issues they are ignoring just like the floor mats and other things...i i were young and blonde would they be doing the same thing..??

Quick Reply: rx350 liftgate not latching