RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 06:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Talking Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks

After hours of troubleshooting and dismantling, found how to resolve the infamous B-pillar ticking. In addition, resolved the majority of those pesky minor door squeaks. After the fixes implemented, door slam sounds even a little tighter and car rides quieter too.

Before continuing reading, I must state the disclaimer that neither I nor CL is responsible for any negative impacts to your car as a result of this. With this out of the way, here is a culmination of tens of hours of troubleshooting, dismantling, and with the help from other posts!

1. This B-Pillar DIY thread is still valid and should be done as this is one source of ticking: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-b-pillar.html

2. This front door trim fix should also be done: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...esolution.html

3. This grab bar is another source of squeaking: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8080051-post37.html

4. The rubber stopper is another source: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7919645-post10.html

5. The door latch tightening by Lexus is not a DIY (or at least not for me at this time) and I want to mention that I have NOT had Lexus perform this fix since I have not had the need to (yet) but some of you have reported this works.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-07-14 at 11:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Denzo (05-26-17)
Old 04-06-14, 06:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default B-Pillar Ticking Elimination

To confirm this is what you hear, I recorded the annoying sound which happens sporadically on both smooth and rough surfaces and from cold to warm temperatures.

After hours of troubleshooting, my conclusion on the source of the ticking is a weld/glue not perfectly done and thus is creating the metal ticking noise. Which weld, not sure but I suspect it's the top one in the B-pillar. It then reverberates in the hollow B-pillar's chamber creating the sound we hear. However, the fix works and it's to completely muffle the sound thanks to rubber asphalt coating and foam insulation applied inside the B-pillar cavity.

See pics for the rest!
Attached Thumbnails Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxb1.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxb1a.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxb3.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxb4.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxb5.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-06-14 at 07:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
alisher (01-04-17), Denzo (05-26-17), tempestv8 (03-06-18)
Old 04-06-14, 06:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Front Door Squeaking Reduction

Remove door panel video:

And from fellow CL member:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...he-scenes.html

One important tip not mentioned is that in order to remove the door panel as a final step after all four screws and clips are popped out, the panel is still tied at the top. You must PULL it UPWARDS (and not towards you) with some moderate force.

Another find was that the screws were not tight. You should check all screws for a tight fit, but do not overtighten.

Another find was that one of the plastic welds was undone. I apply a flame over it to melt and fuse it back.

Final tip is you will need to bang against the panel when placing it back on to ensure the clips snap back in the holes.

See pics!
Attached Thumbnails Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxfr1.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxfr2.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxfr3.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxfr4.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxfr5.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-07-14 at 04:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
alisher (01-04-17), Denzo (05-26-17)
Old 04-06-14, 06:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Rear Door Squeaking Reduction

Similar to the Front door DIY step above with the exception of having one less screw, and as such, I am not showing the rear door panel. I do show how to remove the window trim, done after pulling away the door panel. Removing the trim is a little tricky since you need to get at the gray plastic screw underneath the door panel and you must pull the trim away towards you.

See pics!
Attached Thumbnails Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxr0.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxr01.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxr001.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxr1.jpg   Complete DIY - Eliminate B-Pillar Ticking and Door Squeaks-rxr2.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
alisher (01-04-17)
Old 04-07-14, 03:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great job corrado. Congrats on conquering the squeak. No doubt others will benefit from your excellent tutorial.
Old 04-07-14, 08:41 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it weird that my car has no rattles or squeaks and every noise i can hear is due to other things in the car, the most annoying of which being my kids baby seat which has a rattling belt!!
Old 04-07-14, 10:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Rayaans. Anita has been pretty quiet about her car's state of noises so maybe she has none. I'd like to know.

If she and other h owners don't, it would appear "Made in Japan" for the 450h's makes all the difference here. Small things like glue that would be locally supplied used in the assembly may make all the difference between the Canadian 350s and the Japanese h's.
Old 04-07-14, 12:00 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Excellent write up. Can I request a DIY for fixing the right rear seat rattling from the seat adjustment bar? =D
Old 04-07-14, 12:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Excellent write up. Can I request a DIY for fixing the right rear seat rattling from the seat adjustment bar? =D
Thanks.

LOL, I hear you on the seat rattle. I have not tackled that one, at least not yet.
Old 04-07-14, 01:36 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Rayaans. Anita has been pretty quiet about her car's state of noises so maybe she has none. I'd like to know.

If she and other h owners don't, it would appear "Made in Japan" for the 450h's makes all the difference here. Small things like glue that would be locally supplied used in the assembly may make all the difference between the Canadian 350s and the Japanese h's.
FYI...our 2010 Rx made in mid 2009 was Japan built. The only rattle we have is the latch mechanism of glove box.
Old 04-07-14, 03:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yep, the 450h is still quiet after 4+ years. But I tend to keep the stereo volume high, LOL! Some people might be more sensitive to squeaks and rattles than others. Understand I don't say that to diminish the problem. If I had a pesky noise coming during a long road trip, I'd be ripping apart panels too. But fortunately I haven't had any to date.
Old 04-08-14, 08:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Yep, the 450h is still quiet after 4+ years. But I tend to keep the stereo volume high, LOL! Some people might be more sensitive to squeaks and rattles than others. Understand I don't say that to diminish the problem. If I had a pesky noise coming during a long road trip, I'd be ripping apart panels too. But fortunately I haven't had any to date.
Mine doesnt have any yet. Its always something in the glove box moving around or in the side door cubbys. Although the boot cover makes a racket when its open!
Old 11-30-14, 12:15 AM
rxcabby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your yeoman's work regarding the " tapping noise " issue. Is this post a different solution to your original fix which involved the tape backing behind the felt? Thanks again.
Old 11-30-14, 07:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rxcabby
Thanks for your yeoman's work regarding the " tapping noise " issue. Is this post a different solution to your original fix which involved the tape backing behind the felt? Thanks again.
Essentially all the posts tackle possible sources of the "tapping/ticking" noises and no single ne is really a smoking gun solution.

Another tip which I don't believe I mentioned is putting a thin layer of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the surface of the door rubber seals as I find it also makes occasional tapping noises (result of slight door motions and the dry rubber moving on the car's metal frame). Of course, I never got my door latch tightened by the dealer which may have helped reduce the door motions and hence the tapping.
Old 11-30-14, 06:55 PM
rxcabby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The darn tapping noise directly adjacent to my ear is driving me nuts. Still can't figure out if it is coming from between the window and the stripping or somewhere from the B-pillar.