RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New vs Used - any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 08:54 PM
Metatheron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vs Used - any recommendations?

I've had until recently a 2007 RX 350 and want to get back into one but now I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of new vs used.

I got the 2007 used in 2010 with the 125k warranty and it never let me down. So I'm fine with used and as long as it had Bluetooth (I'm looking 2010 and newer) there aren't many other features I have to have. Nav would be great though. But while I'm trying to stay under $30,000 I'm wondering if the extra $10,000 is worth getting new as the only 2 benefits I see are less miles and no previous owner.

Is there anything 2012+ that makes any newer models worth it? Anything you can't live without? Or do most tend to go used?
Old 04-05-14, 05:07 AM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Love folding mirrors on our 2013 RX350, and like LED DRLs. The new front end looks better to me now (didn't like it much at first). Wife loves new Lexus Enform and uses Destination Assist feature often
However, I think it would be difficult to find new RX for $40K. I believe they generally start at about $45K and up with some/several optional features already installed.
Old 04-05-14, 05:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, Metatheron. Bluetooth has been standard on the RX since 2005 so no worries there. Lexus introduced the spindle grill for 2013+. So 2010-2012 will have the 'older' look. Other than that, they're basically the same with either a few features either added (BSM, Siri Eyes) or taken away (AFS, 6-CD changer).

It's hard to tell you whether it's better to go new or used. At least you know you can't go wrong either way. We have members who have bought both. And since you haven't expressed a preference other than to say you'd like to keep it around $30,000. I'd say take a few RXs out for a drive in that price range, and then try new. From there I think you'll have a better idea. We'll be more than happy to help you with packages, features and price. Just post the details here. Good luck.
Old 04-06-14, 06:57 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Used vehicles can be very cost-effective way to go. Make sure you know what you are looking at.
While Carfax can be an aid, don't bank on it. The system merely reveals what's been reported on the vehicle.
If no friends in the business, pay someone with the knowledge to closely scrutinize the car. A used car will have some wear of course & you have to expect that. Might see a chip in the paint or a stain on the inside. The general history of the make/model in question is a good starting point to check for known issues.

Looked at a used Civic last year for my daughter. Clean Carfax, car looked spotless from 20' away.
Signs of primer in a couple seams, hood/fender seams mis-aligned, inside of fender still wrinkled from a collision. Rubber trim/garnish missing from one side under the hood. Brand new tires on an almost new brand new car with very low miles. Reading between the lines told me the front suspension took a hit. Walked away after the dealer ensured the car was as new. Didn't even drive it & all my daughter saw was the colour of the paint.

Bought our RX used 2 years ago. 2 years old with 25K km (15K miles) on it. Previous owner had it out on lease. We stumbled onto the ad while looking for another new Accord. Drove down to see it - 4 hrs.
Looked at the lease rates as he was looking for someone to take it over. His very high payments left a much lower residual to payout & he was offering 50% of the damage deposit back.
Car was absloutely "as new" inside & out with 2 exceptions. Needed tires, the OEM Dunlops were beat but evenly worn. Scuff on the bumper skin which was merely cosmetic. We negotiated & allowed $1K for the bumper repaint & another$500 from his deposit.
On paper, he turned it into Lexus Financial. We picked it up at his home about 2 weeks later, brought it up to Saint John. On paper the local dealer bought it & resold it to us at the same price I negotiated with the owner.
They gave it another once-over & we had a great low mileage used car. Put on new tires & painted the bumper.
We had previously looked a 3 used RX at the local dealer. 2010-11. Wanted one with very low miles & their used stock had a minimum of about 30K miles. They were more than helpful on the deal & we were very happy at day's end.