RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Backup Camera Question (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-14, 05:55 PM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Question (2011)

So, we test drove a few RX350's on Saturday before purchasing on Monday - They were all the same color inside and out, so on Monday I had a lot in my head and thought the one I purchased had the Ultrasonic sensors for the backup camera, but it looks like it doesn't ... I know one I test drove did, because I backed it into a spot.

So, Since I do have a backup camera - can I add that option????

Thanks!
Old 04-03-14, 08:29 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The proximity sensors and the backup camera are two separate systems that don't have anything to do with each other. The proximity sensors were an option if I remember correctly. You can immediately tell if any given car has the system because they are round sensors that are on both the front and back bumpers. The sensors are about the size of a quarter. Just go out and look at your back bumper. If you do not see the senors on the back bumper, you car does not have the system. I don't know how much effort it would be to add the system, or even if it is possible. Perhaps you should take the car back to the dealer and exchange it for one with the option ... they may allow you to do an exchange.

You might want to look at the "Add Intuitive Parking Assist" thread to see the discussion about the possibility of adding the function ... it is a current discussion and you should be able to find it in the list of active threads.

Last edited by UCSB; 04-03-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-04-14, 05:38 AM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

UCSB - Thanks for the reply - After I posted I was reading some more and discovered the link between the backup cam and the parking assistant ... I guess overall that it wont effect me, since I may be adding the iVac to the car and might lose the backup camera anyway ... My head was spinning at the dealer, Im not used to all the options for a car - I was always a GM buyer since I grew up that way (Dad worked for GM for 38 Years) - Then we go to the Lexus dealer where they have a Chef making breakfast / etc .. Then all the cool add ons - and since I wanted a Black car, they all looked the same ... But had different features ....

Thanks again
Old 04-04-14, 07:20 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Surovich
UCSB - Thanks for the reply - After I posted I was reading some more and discovered the link between the backup cam and the parking assistant ... I guess overall that it wont effect me, since I may be adding the iVac to the car and might lose the backup camera anyway ... My head was spinning at the dealer, Im not used to all the options for a car - I was always a GM buyer since I grew up that way (Dad worked for GM for 38 Years) - Then we go to the Lexus dealer where they have a Chef making breakfast / etc .. Then all the cool add ons - and since I wanted a Black car, they all looked the same ... But had different features ....

Thanks again
Chef??? Breakfast?? Really at a Lexus dealer??
Old 04-04-14, 07:52 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
Chef??? Breakfast?? Really at a Lexus dealer??
jeez..and i thought real cloth towels in the bathroom at my lexus was fancy....
Old 04-05-14, 04:58 PM
Surovich
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, its cool - if you go in for service - you can order an omelet / etc
Old 04-05-14, 06:03 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

semi off topic but is there a way to bypass the backup camera to work whenever you want it to (aka not only in reverse). just curious
Old 04-05-14, 07:35 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Guess I'm going to have to get up early & schedule a service appt
Originally Posted by Surovich
Yeah, its cool - if you go in for service - you can order an omelet / etc