RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No Tire Rotation With CPO Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 06:11 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default No Tire Rotation With CPO Oil Change

Took my wife's '11 CPO RX back to dealer because I thought tire rotation was included with last week's CPO complimentary oil change. Not so. Took RX to American Tire in Roseville, CA, for free tire rotation. Tech said he couldn't get wheels off because wheel lock key was worn out. Back to Lexus for a free replacement wheel lock key. Back to American Tire. They can't get the wheel locks off because they've been over-touqued. I watched them try over and over with special tools. Back to Lexus. They took the car into the shop, removed the wheel locks, substituted regular lug bolts, at my suggestion. All at no cost. Day is shot, I go home.
I will venture forth tomorrow for a complimentary wheel rotation closer to home, or back at American Tire where the service was excellent. Lexus service was good too. I just felt mis-led by the CPO booklet that a 10,000 mile complimentary oil change would include all the usual stuff they do at the 10K interval. Oh well, lucky I didn't have any other appointments, so I drank a lot of free coffee.
Ray A.
Old 03-31-14, 06:27 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Took my wife's '11 CPO RX back to dealer because I thought tire rotation was included with last week's CPO complimentary oil change. Not so. Took RX to American Tire in Roseville, CA, for free tire rotation. Tech said he couldn't get wheels off because wheel lock key was worn out. Back to Lexus for a free replacement wheel lock key. Back to American Tire. They can't get the wheel locks off because they've been over-touqued. I watched them try over and over with special tools. Back to Lexus. They took the car into the shop, removed the wheel locks, substituted regular lug bolts, at my suggestion. All at no cost. Day is shot, I go home.
I will venture forth tomorrow for a complimentary wheel rotation closer to home, or back at American Tire where the service was excellent. Lexus service was good too. I just felt mis-led by the CPO booklet that a 10,000 mile complimentary oil change would include all the usual stuff they do at the 10K interval. Oh well, lucky I didn't have any other appointments, so I drank a lot of free coffee.
Ray A.
I'll tell you something from experience. Asides from oil changes Lexus doesn't give anything else for free.
Having said that Lexus gave me two free oil changes. When I went to put my own extended drain oil I'm after the two oil changes past I came to find out that Lexus never even changed the filter.
Old 03-31-14, 06:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Ouch! Sorry you had to waste the day running around like that Ray. Too bad the dealer didn't include tire rotation with the complimentary oil change. It's supposed to be done every 5K. But at least they got the wheel locks off for you and changed them out to regular lug nuts for free. That's nice you can get free rotation from the local tire place. Good luck tomorrow getting it done. Unfortunately you might need to bring your own coffee.
Old 03-31-14, 08:11 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

10,000 oil change is just that, oil and filter. I wouldn't expect that to include tire rotation. Anyway, most places overtighten their lug nuts, but am surprised that the key was 'worn out'. Lexus recommends a tire rotation to be front to back only, no cross rotation of the tires. Unfortunately most places automatically want to cross rotate them....just be on your toes and tell them what you want. The original tires I had on my RX were cross rotated at one point and soon after they became very noisy and had to be replaced, so I stick with the front to back program.

I find American Tire/Discount Tire to be excellent in their tire service. Two of my three cars have tires from them, but they rotate the third car for free as a courtesy, no questions asked.
Old 03-31-14, 09:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, we probably have a good idea now why the original wheel lock key was worn out.

Going forward, I might be concerned that the brake rotors on your vehicle may have become slightly warped from the over torquing of the lug nuts with an air gun. Should be 76 ft-lbs. If they had a problem getting the lugs off from over-tightening you may have a pulsation already in the brake pedal. Should that be the case, I would be complaining to your Lexus dealer about that as well.
Old 03-31-14, 10:28 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Evitzee
10,000 oil change is just that, oil and filter. I wouldn't expect that to include tire rotation. Anyway, most places overtighten their lug nuts, but am surprised that the key was 'worn out'. Lexus recommends a tire rotation to be front to back only, no cross rotation of the tires. Unfortunately most places automatically want to cross rotate them....just be on your toes and tell them what you want. The original tires I had on my RX were cross rotated at one point and soon after they became very noisy and had to be replaced, so I stick with the front to back program.

I find American Tire/Discount Tire to be excellent in their tire service. Two of my three cars have tires from them, but they rotate the third car for free as a courtesy, no questions asked.
After American Tire couldn't get the rear wheels off, they balanced and re-installed the front wheels with a manual torque wrench. All free. I heard the click. It's easy to watch the techs work while staying outside the work bay. Yes, they have free coffee too.
I know about not cross-rotating tires. I think there's a place on the work order that diagrams the wheel swapping.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Ray A.
Old 03-31-14, 10:33 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Well, we probably have a good idea now why the original wheel lock key was worn out.

Going forward, I might be concerned that the brake rotors on your vehicle may have become slightly warped from the over torquing of the lug nuts with an air gun. Should be 76 ft-lbs. If they had a problem getting the lugs off from over-tightening you may have a pulsation already in the brake pedal. Should that be the case, I would be complaining to your Lexus dealer about that as well.
Hi RX330,
I never thought of the rotors becoming slightly warped from over-torquing the lug nuts. We have no pulsation in the brake pedal, but I'll put my awareness into my brake foot. Thanks for the tip.
Ray A.
Old 03-31-14, 10:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Default Dat Dude's filter overlooked

"When I went to put my own extended drain oil I'm after the two oil changes past I came to find out that Lexus never even changed the filter." Dat Dude

Dat Dude,
My warranty oil change paperwork calls out 1ea 04152-YZZA1 REPLACEABLE 82
I assume that's the filter. The cashier didn't know what it was.
The oil and the gasket are called out separately. All is well.
Ray A.
Old 03-31-14, 11:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi RX330,
I never thought of the rotors becoming slightly warped from over-torquing the lug nuts. We have no pulsation in the brake pedal, but I'll put my awareness into my brake foot. Thanks for the tip.
Ray A.
Perhaps no harm, no foul. There are other reasons for rotors to warp, however, one leading causing is extended periods of time with the lug nuts over-tightened.
Old 04-01-14, 09:35 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray A.
was it Lexus of Sacramento? thanks.
Old 04-01-14, 10:18 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by felix168
was it Lexus of Sacramento? thanks.
Lexus of Roseville. Nice dealership overall. This is our first Lexus.
Ray A.
Old 04-01-14, 10:26 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I have to ask, what is a CPO?
Old 04-01-14, 10:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I have to ask, what is a CPO?
Certified Pre Owned
Old 04-01-14, 10:47 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76
Certified Pre Owned
I thank you
Old 04-01-14, 10:49 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Sorry for using acronyms. I hate it when others do this and I don't know what the acronyms mean, and now I'm doing it myself. A Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) car from a dealer carries with it a warranty and pre-conditioning/inspections making the car as close to a new car as possible. Everything is guaranteed to have been gone over and blessed by the service/detail department.
Our new-to-us '11 RX just jumped with newness. Not even swirls in the finish. Not a speck of dirt anywhere. The leather smelled new. Still does. Anyway...
My position was that they sold me a car warranted to have lug nuts that would come off, and they didn't, so they made good on it by getting the locking lug nuts off and substituting regular lug nuts at my request.
No more vague acronyms from me without at least a vague definition.
All the best.
Ray A.
Thanks for clarifying that. I've only been leasing new vehicles so haven't run into that before.

Quick Reply: No Tire Rotation With CPO Oil Change