RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX kinda boring?

Old 03-30-14, 07:48 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX kinda boring?

Compared to all the other SUV's you have driven, do you feel the RX is a boring car? I figure if Lexus went and toyed with the suspension they should have at least given it some more sportier characteristics. What are your opinions?
Old 03-30-14, 07:54 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
Compared to all the other SUV's you have driven, do you feel the RX is a boring car? I figure if Lexus went and toyed with the suspension they should have at least given it some more sportier characteristics. What are your opinions?
Haven't driven many SUVs but my main reason for getting an RX is simply the comfort and reliability of it for my pregnant wife. I think the RX f-sport is a good start towards a sportier version but when I was in the market for an SUV sporty was my last interests. That's what my Infiniti G is for :-). To each their own though
Old 03-30-14, 07:56 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greeknasty
Haven't driven many SUVs but my main reason for getting an RX is simply the comfort and reliability of it for my pregnant wife. I think the RX f-sport is a good start towards a sportier version but when I was in the market for an SUV sporty was my last interests. That's what my Infiniti G is for :-). To each their own though
First off congratulations! I guess I have driven too many sportier cars and am used to that. The Infiniti G is an amazing car I love the exhaust note on them.
Old 03-30-14, 07:58 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

First off congratulations! I guess I have driven too many sportier cars and am used to that. The Infiniti G is an amazing car I love the exhaust note on them.
Haha thanks.. yeah..personally if you want sporty suv you should be into the BMW market..Im.pretty sure they have the "sportiest" suspension of them all. I could be wrong though I've never driven them.
Old 03-30-14, 08:02 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greeknasty
Haha thanks.. yeah..personally if you want sporty suv you should be into the BMW market..Im.pretty sure they have the "sportiest" suspension of them all. I could be wrong though I've never driven them.
I've owned a BMW and I'll never own one again. It's the most unreliable car you can buy. And honestly you aren't missing out on much.
Old 03-30-14, 08:06 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Haha yea...I owned a 3 series and it was ****. I do give them hats off the suspension was pretty nice on it. But other than that it was crap
Old 03-30-14, 08:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

How one defines boring is key. Smooth, quiet and luxurious ride can be exciting to some. In fact, this is how I felt with my 2RXh eveytime I drove it - I felt connected to these characteristics and LOVED the cloud-like ride, but for the track-enthusiast, this vehicle would be classified as boring as this person would seek handling and acceleration characteritics. The RX F-Sport fits the mold nicely by having some luxury and sporty looks and handling all in one package.

Oh and yes, boring is also defined by lack of unscheduled garage trips so Lexus (RX) is SUPER BORING in this regard.
Old 03-30-14, 08:19 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
How one defines boring is key. Smooth, quiet and luxurious ride can be exciting to some. In fact, this is how I felt with my 2RXh eveytime I drove it - I felt connected to these characteristics and LOVED the cloud-like ride, but for the track-enthusiast, this vehicle would be classified as boring as this person would seek handling and acceleration characteritics. The RX F-Sport fits the mold nicely by having some luxury and sporty looks and handling all in one package.

Oh and yes, boring is also defined by lack of unscheduled garage trips so Lexus (RX) is SUPER BORING in this regard.
Id say thats spot on. If you drive a BMW, Mercedes, they might handle slightly better than the RX but who cares when the suspension is ROCK HARD. And then, to make the ROCK HARD suspension soften up without losing handling ability, you have to spend more on options like adaptive suspension!!
Old 03-30-14, 08:43 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Yea I guess you're right. But to be honest the RX isn't as smooth as I thought it would be. My dad owned a first gen RX and it was waayy smoother than my current one.
And you're right I frequently track my cars so I guess I'm used to that style of drive/handling.
Old 03-30-14, 08:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The RX has been the only vehicle I've driven for 15+ years. Does that answer your question, LOL! So you could say I'm familiar with the changes Lexus made over the generations. It's only improved with all the new features and options introduced IMO. Maybe seeing all the RXs on the road is boring. Blame reliability! As for me, I'm too spoiled to look elsewhere. And I've done my own thing to make the RXh unique. I say bring RX450h F-Sport to the US.
Old 03-30-14, 09:36 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The RX 350 is a people hauler.
Last January, a road trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver, BC was so smooth I drove for 8 hours in a day with a few stops for food and potty breaks.
The RX gets great mileage too. ( that's why we left the Range Rover in the garage).

I can't imagine doing the same trip with a Subaru BRZ/ SCION FRS which are both great drivers' car.
A few years ago, I made the mistake of doing a road trip from California to Nevada using a Jeep Wrangler.. WORST RIDE EVER!
Now if we take the Jeep off roading, that's a different story.

So I guess, to sum it up, it depends on why you BOUGHT the RX

My daily driver is an electric, a Toyota RAV4 EV which is sporty, peppy and the instant torque leaves a lot of 328/528 from one red light to the next.
Old 03-30-14, 10:23 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by markrivers
The RX 350 is a people hauler.
Last January, a road trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver, BC was so smooth I drove for 8 hours in a day with a few stops for food and potty breaks.
The RX gets great mileage too. ( that's why we left the Range Rover in the garage).

I can't imagine doing the same trip with a Subaru BRZ/ SCION FRS which are both great drivers' car.
A few years ago, I made the mistake of doing a road trip from California to Nevada using a Jeep Wrangler.. WORST RIDE EVER!
Now if we take the Jeep off roading, that's a different story.

So I guess, to sum it up, it depends on why you BOUGHT the RX

My daily driver is an electric, a Toyota RAV4 EV which is sporty, peppy and the instant torque leaves a lot of 328/528 from one red light to the next.
My dad wanted to buy it. If it was up to me I would've gotten an ML63 or the F-Sport. It isn't a bad car. It's just a little bland compared to what I'm used to. Perhaps my Alpina has spoiled me too much.
Old 03-30-14, 11:01 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure, the RX is the vanilla flavor of the SUV world. Look how much vanilla sells. Besides, sometimes vanilla is all you want and all you need.
Old 03-30-14, 11:08 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Sure, the RX is the vanilla flavor of the SUV world. Look how much vanilla sells. Besides, sometimes vanilla is all you want and all you need.
Haha..vanilla..
Old 03-30-14, 12:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^ I guess you're referring to the SRX (pSeudo RX to me) commercial where Cadillac compares it to what looks like a 2nd gen RX. Really? Maybe it's because the SRX is also a 2nd gen that came out in 2009. Um, that's when the 3RX came out. Duh! It's about as desperate as the Cadillac salesperson who told my mom back in 2010 that the 3RX didn't have a power tailgate. She proceeded to educate his ***, LOL! BTW, she's had a 1st gen RX and SRX.

Call me boring but I'm happy. And there's nothing wrong with vanilla as long as it's real

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX kinda boring?