RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Top Tier Gas now includes Costco

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 11:24 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Tier Gas now includes Costco

Mentioned in this month's issue of The Costco Connection that their gas is now certified as a "Top Tier" gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 03-29-14, 11:46 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, Cheryl. The whole topic of "Top Tier" is just marketing, IMO. For years and years I have used only AMOCO and then BP/AMOCO fuels in many of my vehicles. And for years and years BP/AMOCO were not listed as a top tier fuel. Today they are, just like Costco. Something fairly recent. They did not reformulate, rather, they merely coughed up the cash for certification. To me, they were forced to pay their "pound of flesh" to this marketing group. No one will ever convince me that the AMOCO and BP/AMOCO fuels I was using over the years were bad to use due to lack of this certification. I will also be curious to see what all the "Costco sells bad gas" folks will have to say now that they are on the list.
Old 03-29-14, 12:33 PM
cflutist
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Thanks, Cheryl. The whole topic of "Top Tier" is just marketing, IMO. For years and years I have used only AMOCO and then BP/AMOCO fuels in many of my vehicles. And for years and years BP/AMOCO were not listed as a top tier fuel. Today they are, just like Costco. Something fairly recent. They did not reformulate, rather, they merely coughed up the cash for certification. To me, they were forced to pay their "pound of flesh" to this marketing group. No one will ever convince me that the AMOCO and BP/AMOCO fuels I was using over the years were bad to use due to lack of this certification. I will also be curious to see what all the "Costco sells bad gas" folks will have to say now that they are on the list.
Well we bought Costco gas because 1 - they are less than a mile away and we can fill up before shopping there 2 - their premium is only 20 cents more (although I'm tempted to mix 87 and 91 octane) 3 - we get 4% cash back on gas purchases on our Costco Business AMEX card and finally 4 - Costco has the lowest prices in town, we can be very frugal at times (which allowed us to pay cash for this car). Glad to know that the gas we are using is "ok" now.
Old 03-29-14, 01:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I would never knock anyone who was using Costco brand gas in their vehicle. Especially at those prices and especially when premium, whether it is needed or not, is so cheap when compared to other stations in the area. Have a Costco not too far away and was just there the other day for milk (cheaper by almost $1 than the local grocery stores) and general browsing.

My choice in using BP/AMOCO only in my RX is just that, my choice. I can drive from FL to PA, across the state, and back and never use anything but BP/AMOCO fuels. To me it is convenience and consistency and pricing for me is usually on par on what I would pay at Costco.

Now, do you shop at Costco so you can drive a new Lexus, or do you drive a new Lexus therefore you shop at Costco?
Old 03-29-14, 01:52 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, nope, we shopped at Costco even when we had a Toyota Camry...and before that the Toyota Turbo Supra. They just have very good prices - if you can consume/use whatever the volume is that you have to buy.
Old 03-29-14, 02:10 PM
cflutist
Driver

So premium gas at Costco is 3.91/gal as compared to 4.22 at Union 76 times 17 gallons is a savings of $5.27 ... that will buy a Venti Mocha at Starbucks
Old 03-29-14, 02:47 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

This is a bit off topic but it is amazing how much brand loyalty is worth. I find myself putting only Chevron in my car because to me its a trusted brand, been not only top tier but is also rated the highest along with Shell and 76. You can tell me its all marketing mumbo jumbo but I guess that is why companies pay so much for advertising.

There is no costco with pumps around me, and when I do see one, there are usually long lines. I rarely shop at costco except for paper towels and household items. Good to know they are top tier now though.
Old 03-29-14, 02:51 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry; it depends on the COSTCO, San Diego county recently starting selling gas with additives, but not all Costco's do; if you don't see a big sign bragging about it and it is a few cents higher; you still have generic gas, same and Fast Eddys station on the corner!!
Old 03-29-14, 04:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dctex99
Sorry; it depends on the COSTCO, San Diego county recently starting selling gas with additives, but not all Costco's do; if you don't see a big sign bragging about it and it is a few cents higher; you still have generic gas, same and Fast Eddys station on the corner!!
All Costco stores selling fuel should now be up to the new standard. This is discussed in the article mentioned by Cheryl (cflutist) above. It is available online.

FWIW, the price of premium here in this part of FL at Costco is 30¢ more than regular unleaded.
Old 03-29-14, 04:52 PM
cflutist
Driver

Yes, the article says that ALL the gasoline that Costco sells would contained the increased amount of detergent additives. This is accomplished by blending the additives at Costco gas stations DURING THE FUEL DELVERY. This way, they have complete control control over the process and the quality aspects of the fuel. So they worked with industry experts to design and implement a unique ONSITE ADDITIVE SYSTEM.

Hey, I would have bought their gas regardless, this is just a bonus now.
Old 03-29-14, 05:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cflutist
Hey, I would have bought their gas regardless, this is just a bonus now.
More information is not a bad thing in this case and you have to be thankful that Costco has published what they were doing in this regard and without having to resort to techno-speak to obfuscate the matter.
Old 03-29-14, 05:17 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cflutist
...ALL the gasoline that Costco sells would contained the increased amount of detergent additives. This is accomplished by blending the additives at Costco gas stations DURING THE FUEL DELVERY.
THAT explains all the bubbles the last time I got gas at Costco. :=)
Old 03-29-14, 05:41 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom558
THAT explains all the bubbles the last time I got gas at Costco. :=)
That Kirkland laundry detergent is versatile, is it not.
Old 03-29-14, 07:58 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
This is a bit off topic but it is amazing how much brand loyalty is worth. I find myself putting only Chevron in my car because to me its a trusted brand, been not only top tier but is also rated the highest along with Shell and 76. You can tell me its all marketing mumbo jumbo but I guess that is why companies pay so much for advertising.

There is no costco with pumps around me, and when I do see one, there are usually long lines. I rarely shop at costco except for paper towels and household items. Good to know they are top tier now though.
I agree, good to know but I hate waiting in lines. Now that Costco is top tier and if I happen to be there and there is no line, I would probably fill up.

A few years ago while having my Lexus serviced I asked the service writer how important it was to used premium fuel (required in my '09 ES350). I was told not to use regular or mid grade AND to only use Chevron. From what I recall they said there are additives in Chevron gas that prevent engine sludge.
Old 03-29-14, 11:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteInGilr
I agree, good to know but I hate waiting in lines. Now that Costco is top tier and if I happen to be there and there is no line, I would probably fill up.

A few years ago while having my Lexus serviced I asked the service writer how important it was to used premium fuel (required in my '09 ES350). I was told not to use regular or mid grade AND to only use Chevron. From what I recall they said there are additives in Chevron gas that prevent engine sludge.
long time owners know the engine sludge problem on the 1st generation RX. I drove my 99 RX for 4 years and didn't have a problem, again using nothing but chevron.

Quick Reply: Top Tier Gas now includes Costco