RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is "someday" now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 02:06 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is "someday" now?

First off, want to say thanks for this site, there is a wealth of information located here - a wonderful community!

I've wanted an RX every since riding in my sisters way back in '99. That vehicle was awesome, felt like it wrapped its arms around me. And I knew I'd have one, someday.

I can count on one hand the number of cars I've purchased in my life, I try to keep them for 10 years before switching out - and all have been GMs... until...possibly...now.

I *almost* bought an RX in 2005, but couldn't "justify" spending $40K for a car. Instead, I purchased a Chevy Impala SS, with GM Family discount, and am still driving it today. Thankfully, it's been 100% trouble-free (knock-on-wood). And now, I'm at a time where I need to move to a vehicle that has easier exit (issues with right knee).

For the past 5 years, I've continued to make car payments (plus extra when I have it) straight into my "new car savings account". I have enough now for a down-payment that'll keep the monthly's down to what I'm used to, er...what I'm comfortable with.

MY problem is getting past the mental roadblock of a now $50K price-tag, and MPGs that fall short of what I'm currently getting (22 City / 26-28 highway). I'm very excited at the prospect of owning a Lexus - but then, the financial thoughts come up and somewhat dampen my enthusiasm. Dang practical thoughts. I've worked hard and diligently saved with the goal of getting into a really nice car before retiring (about 2 years out).

Have others experienced this type of hesitation?

Thanks~
Old 04-28-14, 02:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Hoosiers.

Your situation and thoughts are normal all things considered.

You should spend some time talking to your insurance carrier about your insurance rate and some time here at CL looking at the anticipated maintenance costs just to make sure you can afford not only the vehicle but also its upkeep and ongoing costs. A replacement set of tires, for example, can easily exceed $800+.

You might consider purchasing a used Lexus or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) as a way to get in at a lower cost. A gently used RX is still a great vehicle. Also, the NX will be out later this year and may be a less expensive way for you to get into a Lexus.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-models-264/
Old 04-28-14, 02:58 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

This is what I did: buy a used RX I was also skeptical about the 'value' of a luxury car. However after driving my RX350 for a year and a half, I am planning on buying the next generation RX. If you don't like it, use your new car fund elsewhere.
Old 04-28-14, 03:02 PM
cadone
Driver School Candidate

I agree. That was a very educated thought process to take into consideration ALL cost including insurance. But at the end of the day... Get the car you want within your means!
I speak from experience. Ive always wanted a GS in 2012 it was time for me to purchase my first decent car. I had a Dodge intrepid till that point. So after taking my finances into consideration and insurance cost i went with a CPO 07 RX330 with 68,000 miles.This was in 2012. I loved it. but opted for it mainly because it was 40 -$50 cheaper a month for insurance and $50 - $75 less expensive monthly car payment. After about 5-6months i realized i was a little uncomfortable in the car. The RX's are a bit narrow inside for me. And no i didn't gain weight during that time.They didn't make them bigger until 2010 models. So in Feb 2013 i traded it in for a 09 ES350. Still wanting a GS model. But this ES had only 14,000 miles on it. Another thing i never wanted a red car with light interior and this had both.. LOL but since it was such a good deal i decided to buy it. Insurance was more than the RX but still about $25 - $40 cheaper than owning a GS 07-10 models and saved about $60 on the monthly. After about 9 months i was bored with it. The car drove great and was smooth it just wasn't FUN to drive.
So i decided to go ahead and get the GS this month. Its a 08 350 with 70,000 miles i got full warranty on it. I LOVE IT !!! its such an experience. It feels so in tune and responsive. I should've just got it in the first place. I would've been half way done paying it off by now. Now the only negative i would say is its not getting the same MPG as the ES obviously. but it doesnt even matter. I LOVE MY CAR. I have never been a "car guy" but i see why people get into doing mods and upgrades on their vehicles. I hope this helped.
At the end of the day you need to figure out what kind of driver you are and go from there.
Old 04-28-14, 03:50 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions, RX330inFL. Checking on ownership costs (plates/ins) is a routine I perform prior to any car purchase. Already got the plate info and waiting on call from insurance agent.

I'll keep you all posted when my "someday" becomes reality !

I did run across a very nice looking '13... its still available (unless the website isn't updated), not CPO, only has 16K miles. Its about 1.5 hour drive to go see it. Is not being CPO something that should concern me, because it kinda does.

@cadone: the GS is a beauty, and if my leg would allow it that's what I'd be putting my down payment on! I love to drive a car on winding roads and push it. Will miss that alot. Getting old sucks.
Old 04-28-14, 05:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

As much as I want you to be another proud Lexus owner, if you have to ask for justification to get past the hesitation, then you should probably wait until that new car savings account gets a bit fuller. Do you have any problems buying a used RX? You can probably pick up a 2010 or 2011 RX hybrid and stay well under the 50 thousand.
Old 04-28-14, 06:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Screw dat! You only go around the world once

I solve the hesitation problem by putting my hand over the final number when signing. No joke. If I didn't do that, I wouldn't be driving the RX. You can reason away why you shouldn't get one. But will you be happy if you buy something else? It's obvious you're on the practical side and prefer to stay within your comfort zone. Nothing wrong with that. Just try not to focus on $50K. Nobody pays that anyway. You might even be able to get closer to $40K. Look around some more. You might actually be pleasantly surprised. Good luck and feel free to post what you find. We'll help you out, except on the money part
Old 04-28-14, 08:21 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Screw dat! You only go around the world once
LOL! Yeah, I think "do it now, may be last chance". It's not that I can't afford the car, its that I've never spent more than $26K for a car. That's it in a nutshell, I'm having a hard time with that large of a number. In retrospect, all the vehicles I've researched/test driven this past few months are running between $35-40K.

Note to self: put hand over the number when I sit down to sign the paperwork. Gonna be like the Nike advertisement, and just do it.

Thanks kitlz! I'll keep you all posted!
Old 04-28-14, 08:58 PM
dwlink
Driver

As others have mentioned, you don't have to buy new if your hang up is solely based on the magnitude of the sales price. I gladly bought our RX just before our wedding in 2012 as it was too under-priced NOT to buy it seeing as we were in the market for a nice SUV. That's the good thing about used cars, if a dealership doesn't fully understand the price of an off-brand vehicle or if the original owner accepts too low of a trade-in then you can stand to benefit much in terms of getting a fantastic deal.

If you want help finding a used RX let me know, I invested way too much time in developing some of those scripts for only me to reap the benefits.
Old 04-28-14, 09:26 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to admit to yourself that buying a car is almost, if not always an Emotional purchase.
You can buy a NEW crossover similar to an RX that is less than $25,000 especially if you buy the outgoing model.
BUT, will you be happy? Or will you be asking what if?

The sooner you accept this reality, the easier it will be to close the deal.
And, then move on to the Next question.

" What color combination is best for Me?"
Old 04-28-14, 09:32 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoosiers
LOL! Yeah, I think "do it now, may be last chance". It's not that I can't afford the car, its that I've never spent more than $26K for a car. That's it in a nutshell, I'm having a hard time with that large of a number. In retrospect, all the vehicles I've researched/test driven this past few months are running between $35-40K.

Note to self: put hand over the number when I sit down to sign the paperwork. Gonna be like the Nike advertisement, and just do it.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Hubby and I have lived frugally most of our adult life. We were always very careful with how we spent money and like you had not spent more than $26k on a vehicle. Still drive a 1996 Toyota Tacoma truck and would have still been driving a 2002 Camry if it did not develop stripped bolts in the head with only 49k miles on the car.

I agree with Anita. JUST DO IT. You will be glad you did.

Yes it was painful for me to write that $58k+ check back in January but I don't even think of it now and have been enjoying our first Lexus tremendously. Others have told us that we can't take it with us but the wake up call came when our CFP said that we have to start spending more otherwise we will die with XX million at age 95.

Let us know how it works out for you. BTW, my sister has a 2009 RX400h.

Cheryl

2014 RX 450h AWD
Nebula Gray Pearl / Lt. Gray Leather / Ebony Bird's Eye Maple
First Lexus, First Crossover, and First Hybrid

Last edited by cflutist; 04-28-14 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:44 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Hoosiers - I admire your honesty in all your posts. Every car that I've liked from the moment I saw it and drove it, has been a good investment for me. First car, '64 Chevy Impala Convertible, after that a bunch of beaters during my wild years, then settled down into a '97 Avalon, loved that car, then my '04 Highlander which I still have, and my wife's '11 RX.
You will love being up high, as opposed to a sedan. You will love the ease of getting in and out.
You will love the seat returning to your special place for comfort. You will love how the engine doesn't strain going up hills.
You will find the money for the extra expense because the car is good value. You will have pride of ownership.
If you buy privately, be sure to get a Car Fax, which gives the history of the vehicle. Many low-mileage used Lexus were leased vehicles, maintained at the dealer where they were purchased. That's what we got.
Our insurance went up about $150/yr. over the '97 Avalon, same coverage.
Tires, in about a year, will be about $400 more than the Avalon's tires for a set from Costco with the discount coupon.
You might be able to take a tax deduction for the sales tax. We can do that in California.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 04-28-14 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:54 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of insurance, it wasn't as bad as we thought because AAA classifies a RX as a 4-door station wagon.
Old 04-29-14, 07:12 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say if you have enough money for a down payment so that the monthly payments are doable (and agreeable), then now is the time. The other factor going in your favor is the current auto loan rates. I have 1.4% on both my current cars, which is basically like free money. I only pay about $20 per month of interest. Yes, it is interest, which I hate paying at all, but I cannot really complain when I look at the car I am driving. My parents can't even remember the last time auto loan rates were this low.

LIke others have said, if the RX is the car you are really excited about, and you have saved the money, you won't regret it. I bought my F sport in 2013 and my wife just upgraded to a 2014 acura MDX with all the bells and whistles. The MDX is nice, but I don't think it compares to the refinement of the Lexus. I say go for it and enjoy.
Old 04-29-14, 09:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosiers

We'll make you an RX convert yet!

Truth is I had similar concerns when I was shopping for a new SUV 16 years ago. I had a number in my mind that I felt comfortable with. So I drove a bunch of other SUVs around that range. Then I looked at the newly introduced RX. Nothing came close in quality and refinement. Mind you, back then just about everything was an option - moonroof, CD player, heated seats - and only two packages offered. I think the main difference was basically cloth vs leather seats. Before I left the dealer, I had a price from the sales person a little higher than the amount I had in my head but it wasn't bad. Oh, and I'll never forget the day I picked up the RX300. I turned in my Ford Explorer lemon, took delivery on a new Explorer I chose in the MSRP swap, snapped a few pictures of it, and then headed down to the Lexus dealer to pick up the RX. The second Explorer was traded in towards it. Technically I owned three cars with a combined worth of $100K! It was a trip explaining what I was doing to my insurance agent. Stop coverage on car 1, begin coverage on car 2 but only for a day, then begin and keep coverage on car 3. She got it after the second time, LOL! A few weeks later I was still freaked out by the whole process and wondering if I did the right thing buying a Lexus. A dear coworker told me something I haven't forgotten to this day - with quality you only cry once. Needless to say I've used that to justify what I spend since. And putting my hand over that number on the bottom helps too

Last edited by kitlz; 04-29-14 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Is "someday" now?