RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Do you use Manual shifting option on your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 01:04 PM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, I didn't even know that when in sport mode it won't go back to gear 1 since I have never used the feature. Have to try it out sometimes.
Old 03-21-14, 08:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Do you use Manual shifting option on your RX?

Yes, every time I drive the RX and it's via the paddle shifters. Fun, fun fun...!
Old 03-24-14, 09:00 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by titomang
To be honest, I didn't even know that when in sport mode it won't go back to gear 1 since I have never used the feature. Have to try it out sometimes.
In our '11 RX350, I have to be stopped, creeping, or going very slowly to get into gear 1. If I'm going too fast, like 20 mph or so, the best I can do is gear 2, with three beeps from the instrument panel.
Low gear is fun on very steep hills. Think Steve McQueen in the movie Bullet in San Francisco. That would be Taylor Street for the trivia fans.
Ray A.
Old 03-25-14, 07:50 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010morx
The engine braking is key when in snowy conditions.
I agree, but with a caveat: I would only do this with FWD/AWD cars. My other car is an Infiniti G37x, which (although marketed as "AWD") is actually a RWD car until wheel slippage is detected. The reason I bring this up, is that if I engine-brake in the snow in my G, the rear end wants to fishtail. Long story short, be cautious (or better yet avoid) engine-braking in slick conditions with RWD cars.
Old 03-25-14, 08:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
I agree, but with a caveat: I would only do this with FWD/AWD cars. My other car is an Infiniti G37x, which (although marketed as "AWD") is actually a RWD car until wheel slippage is detected. The reason I bring this up, is that if I engine-brake in the snow in my G, the rear end wants to fishtail. Long story short, be cautious (or better yet avoid) engine-braking in slick conditions with RWD cars.
Unless you have a real manual with a clutch.
Old 03-25-14, 08:27 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Sometimes during stop and go rush traffic, I use the manual shift.
Old 03-25-14, 08:38 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this country we have looong uphill and downhill sweeps with bends and curves thrown in (biker's dream roads). On my non-hybrid RX 350 the "S" mode is from heaven, because you can come barreling downhill, just to see a big truck around a bend. No good idea to use the brakes all the time. Have seen wise ...ses with Audi Q7's at the bottom of mountain passes with smoke billowing from pads and rotors. They can also use their version of our "S" mode, but then it was so nice to overtake the guy in the Lexus!

I'm aware that the AWD RX350 is not a pukka off-roader, but should you approach a particularly sandy or muddy patch on a dirt road, it's a good idea to select "s" mode and to tap to #1, before endeavouring the tricky patch. Just because the vehicle hasn't got a clutch like a manaul which burns easily when it has a lot of work to do, doesn't mean the auto box doesn't have to endure the same stresses. ATF (I know the RX uses fancy stuff from Japland) overheats quickly, so if you can keep it in first, the less it slips.

Last edited by nipponbird; 03-25-14 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Need to add something
Old 03-25-14, 09:31 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Unless you have a real manual with a clutch.
I would still use caution. Downshifting a RWD car will change the power at the wheels and could cause the rear to lose traction. Yes, the clutch helps as you have much better control in executing the downshift...or in an emergency you can clutch-in to remove the power altogether. But I would still use caution.

My previous 2 cars were FWD manuals. Never had the traction loss in downshifting that I get with the RWD G37. The G has a pretty torquey engine too so that probably has something to do with it.
Old 03-25-14, 02:41 PM
waapples
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do use the manual mode, wish the HUD had displayed the gear selection though...
Old 03-25-14, 11:33 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
I would still use caution. Downshifting a RWD car will change the power at the wheels and could cause the rear to lose traction. Yes, the clutch helps as you have much better control in executing the downshift...or in an emergency you can clutch-in to remove the power altogether. But I would still use caution.

My previous 2 cars were FWD manuals. Never had the traction loss in downshifting that I get with the RWD G37. The G has a pretty torquey engine too so that probably has something to do with it.
Goes without saying that you should not downshift any vehicle indiscriminately and in anyway well in advance of the intended purpose.
Old 03-26-14, 08:38 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Trivia question...What gear should be used for engine braking when going downhill? Answer: The same gear you would use going up. This has been your thought for the day.
Ray A.
Old 03-26-14, 10:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Trivia question...What gear should be used for engine braking when going downhill? Answer: The same gear you would use going up. This has been your thought for the day.
Ray A.
Not necessarily. I take a steep uphill next to my house going up in 3rd gear, but will downshift to 2nd when going downhill. I then use the throttle to control how much engine brake force is applied, staying on the brakes at the same time. That is in my IS. I don't bother with any of it in the RXh and let it do its thing.
Old 03-27-14, 07:17 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The "manual" shifting in a Lexus is about either downshifting/engine braking or entertainment. I will occasionally force a downshift to help save the brakes, and I do like the immediate throttle response for passing, even though it's probably not needed. Overall, I still think the computer does a better job of balancing demand (throttle position) and gear ratio, to optimize torque and acceleration. Particularly with a CVT, because it's so much more responsive. Even though it makes the car sound weird (it's the only negative in having a 450h!).

Manual upshifting is useless. You can't force it into a higher gear, and it makes me crazy to tell it to upshift and wait for the computer to agree with me. Worse, if it actually upshifts when I want it to, I know I left in in the lower gear too long! It's like my car is telling me that it's smarter than I am! OK, it probably is, but I don't want to be reminded all the time!
Old 03-27-14, 11:47 AM
waapples
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I even use "N" when I'm stopped at the red light.
Old 03-27-14, 12:04 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
It's like my car is telling me that it's smarter than I am! OK, it probably is, but I don't want to be reminded all the time!
I write automation software and go to a lot of trouble both in the hardware configuration and in software to keep folks from doing something stupid and damaging something or operating the equipment improperly. It certainly makes my life more interesting.

Quick Reply: Do you use Manual shifting option on your RX?