RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to add foot light while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 04:42 PM
zxedxz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to add foot light while driving.

As we all might know, the new RX 350 doesn't have foot light when driving. Not for front side or back seats foot. I'm interested on adding a custom LED that is slightly dim and turn on only when the headlight is on. Can anyone tell me where to write these LED light?

Thank you.
Old 03-17-14, 03:47 PM
zxedxz
Driver School Candidate

No one have installed foot light? the foot is complete dark at night, front and rear seats also. Is there any wire location nearby that will have 12v power when headlights are on?
Old 03-17-14, 05:23 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you can tap into power anywhere and just let the LED be on whenever the car is powered up. During the day, you will not be able to see the light. I don't think there is a need to try and tie into the headlights. Power is available under the seats and under the dash.
Old 03-18-14, 01:17 AM
Gregavi
Rookie

Just curious. Why is it important to see your feet while driving at night? It might be kind of interesting at first, but I think the novelty would wear off and then I think it would become kind of a distraction. Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-14, 01:54 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Foot "puddle light"?
Old 03-18-14, 01:18 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregavi
Just curious. Why is it important to see your feet while driving at night? It might be kind of interesting at first, but I think the novelty would wear off and then I think it would become kind of a distraction. Just my opinion.
"It gotta be the shoes". Hey, do whatever its your car......
Old 03-18-14, 02:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

zxedxz, I'm not aware of anyone who has attempted a mod like this. I'd suggest tapping into the power outlet located in the center console. It will give you the 12V power you want. Configuring the lights to turn on with the headlights will be the tricky part. You might have to settle with them always being on. Good luck.
Old 03-18-14, 02:55 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You want to use the parking lights. Find any button that has a back light. It will limit the number of wires. My guess would be the green wire, if there is one. I don't have wiring diagrams for the RX, so I can't verify. Test with a voltmeter. It will be +12V when the lights are on.
Old 03-18-14, 04:31 PM
Gregavi
Rookie

Originally Posted by vince22
Hey, do whatever its your car......
I agree, I just thought maybe there was something I was missing. Maybe he does have some cool shoes!
Old 03-18-14, 08:31 PM
hubble998
Driver School Candidate

For the 12v outlet at the bottom of the center console maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FUSED-12...-/111295329539
Old 03-19-14, 06:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any car that does have a foot light while driving? If so, what is its' purpose?
Old 03-19-14, 06:34 PM
todor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are various settings on the car about when you want various interior lights to come on, but none of them allow bright footlights while driving. There IS a setting that I think is enabled by default that turns on the footlights brightly when the doors are opened and dimly when driving (just as a flood light)... but I don't know if the RX supports changing that, and even if it does, whether that's what you're looking for - it sounds like you want the lights to be on at full blast, all the time.

Here's a sample of possible footlight-related settings from Carista:
Interior footlight (bright when doors open, dim when driving) (YES/NO)
Center console spotlight (bright when doors open, dim when driving) (YES/NO)
Turn on seatbelt-buckle lights when door opened (YES/NO)
Turn on seatbelt-buckle lights when ignition turned off (YES/NO)
Turn on interior door-handle, center console, step lights when ignition turned off or door unlocked or opened (YES/NO)
Turn on interior door-handle & center console lights dimly (flood lights) when ignition is on and shifter is not in park (P) (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior door handle lights when smart key in range (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior door handle lights when doors unlocked via remote (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior door handle lights when doors unlocked via interior switch (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) when smart key in range (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) when doors unlocked via remote (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) when doors unlocked via interior switch (YES/NO)
Turn on exterior footlight (on side mirror) for… (OFF / 7 SEC / 15 SEC / 30 SEC)
Turn on scuff plate light when smart key in range (YES/NO)
Turn on scuff plate light when doors unlocked via remote (YES/NO)
Turn on scuff plate light when doors unlocked via interior switch (YES/NO)
Turn on scuff plate light when driver's door is opened (YES/NO)
Turn on scuff plate light for… (OFF / 7 SEC / 15 SEC / 30 SEC)

Note that not all settings are supported by all models. A 2010 RX that I tested on only had about half of them.
Old 03-20-14, 09:13 AM
zxedxz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. My old 2011 IS had them. There was LED light coming from the foot while driving. The RX gets too dark at night when driving and makes me feel that I don't have legs. :-D Also, the read seats are also too dark for the kids since they usually have toys falling to the floor and can't see anything to pick them up.

Which wire is the 12v located under the seats?
Old 03-20-14, 09:29 AM
todor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zxedxz
Thanks for the help. My old 2011 IS had them. There was LED light coming from the foot while driving. The RX gets too dark at night when driving and makes me feel that I don't have legs. :-D Also, the read seats are also too dark for the kids since they usually have toys falling to the floor and can't see anything to pick them up.

Which wire is the 12v located under the seats?
Well in that case, it's possible that the footlight setting is turned off in your RX. Do you have an ELM327 and an Android phone/tablet? You can check what settings are available. I'd say it's MUCH better to use the stock lighting if it can be enabled, rather than adding your own wiring, LEDs, switches, etc.

Do any footwell lights come on at all when you open the doors?
Old 03-20-14, 09:51 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree it can be dark inside the RX at night. Another thing to consider, battery powered LED lights like these. Some are even designed to only turn on when it gets dark. I'd rather have something with the option to switch them off when I want.

The 12V connection is the power outlet in the middle console. There's also a plug for the illuminated door sills under the front sills. But I don't know the voltage and if power is cut when the door is closed.

Quick Reply: How to add foot light while driving.