RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 04-20-16, 09:37 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by somecar
My wife and I cannot tolerate the very rough ride (especailly over minor road bumps) that we get with our 2014 RX 350. Our 2009 Lexus RX350 did not have this problem. Have talked to the dealer with no results so will trade it in for some other make. Does anyone have a suggestion about another brand 2015 or 2016 SUV that gives a smooth ride? No more Lexus for us!!!
I'm not sure why your car is harsh, unless an F Sport. My wife keeps complaining about how soft it is and wishes it drove more like our Bimmer or her old GS! Let's see, smoother SUVs.....BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche and Benz are out. Infinity, Acura and Honda have a sportier feel. Highlander...not in the latest model. Hyundai and Kia...neither sporty nor plush. Any of the big three...possible. Cadillac and Buick and oh yeah the 4Runner. You want plush, go for the 4Runner, but make sure you bring your barf bag. Those things float like your in a boat. Not a lot of help I know, but ride is very personal, so tough to recommend.
Old 05-03-16, 02:54 PM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a 2013 RX 350 late last year and decided against it due to the relatively bumpy ride/stiffer than expected suspension. 5 months later, I finally bought a 2013 RX 350 because I couldn't find anything better (won't risk any European model due to maintenance / reliability issues, and same goes for US models - so I'm limited in choices).

A day after buying it, I realized the tires were at 45 psi! Dropping that to 34 psi made a big difference. It is still a bit 'bumpy', and I blame that on the 19" rims. I really wish I had the 18" rims.

The car is VERY quiet and smooth at freeway speeds, which is my biggest requirement. It sucks on local streets at 20 mph ... .
Old 10-26-16, 09:18 PM
NewGuyLxs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2013 RX-350 FWD - Bouncy ride

Hello folks! I am a first time Lexus buyer. I purchased a Lexus Certified 2013 RX-350 FWD with 37k miles last month (9/2016). It is around 4 yrs old. It is under Lexus warranty.

This is my first SUV. I am experiencing an unusually bouncy ride on concrete roads with dipping curves, roads with patches and small bumps or potholes (not necessarily bad roads). Sometimes I feel this is too much for any SUV. It rides smooth on good road. Initially, it made a "thud" sound when it hit the small potholes or concrete gaps, I reported to the dealer and they replaced the tires with 18" Micheline tires and thud effect went away. Service manager was considerate. But I feel the bounce has increased now. Dealer said they inspected the suspension system (including shocks/springs etc) and they are fine. They also mentioned shocks are not covered under warranty, unless it leaks. It has no leaks. I am kind of unhappy with this situation.

Anyone has any suggestion? Any experiences?
Old 10-27-16, 07:11 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,085 Likes on 927 Posts

If the shocks are not leaking and no other issues were identified, then it appears you either have to get used to the SUV ride or trade it in for a sedan. You should have test driven other RX350s and competitors models before making your purchase and been able to compare their rides.
I went from having a few Lexus sedans, but also a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT AWD with huge aftermarket anti-sway bars and Bilstein shocks which rode like a covered wagon compared to the RX. However it did steer and handle a lot better. I did not find the RX that much bouncier than our former ES350 and certainly about the same as the HS250h.
Old 10-27-16, 08:06 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to CL!!

I, too, came to our RX450h from having spent the last 10 years driving either a 3/4 ton Ford diesel pickup or a Ford diesel Excursion built on the same 3/4 ton frame and suspension. From that background, I have found the RXh to be a driving dream in comparison. However, my experience doesn't need to match yours and certainly doesn't address your concerns.

As for suggestions, I can only think of five (assuming no mechanical problems which need fixing). Keep in mind that the RXh ride is pretty much what it is, and there are not a lot of suspension modification options out there for it.
- That said, I often find the far left hand lane of the road to be a significantly smoother ride than either center or right-hand lanes, but that really only applies to highway travel.
- Replace the shocks and/or struts even if they are not leaking.
- Alternate road routes may be an option for you.
- Swap over to a sedan.
- Live with what you have and get used to it over time.
Old 10-27-16, 08:18 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You might firm-up the ride a little by upping your tire pressure by a few pounds. Try something like 35psi. This won't make a major change but might make you more comfortable.
Old 10-27-16, 09:25 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Being that "bouncy" is subjective and this is your first SUV, the only thing I can think of is for you to drive another 13 RX 350 with the same tires and compare the rides.

Compared to the other cars I have my RX could be said to bounce, but it is on par with the other luxury SUVs I've owned and driven.
Old 10-27-16, 08:21 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by somecar
My wife and I cannot tolerate the very rough ride (especailly over minor road bumps) that we get with our 2014 RX 350. Our 2009 Lexus RX350 did not have this problem. Have talked to the dealer with no results so will trade it in for some other make. Does anyone have a suggestion about another brand 2015 or 2016 SUV that gives a smooth ride? No more Lexus for us!!!
perhaps you should try the Buick Enclave. That thing rides really soft.
Old 10-29-16, 11:32 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed the bumpy ride too. I remembered when I bought my 10' 350 in 2015, it was less bumpy. I drive my LS and don't drive my wife's rx very often. It is not bumpy enough to get my neck stiff, but if you are sensitive, it make you dislike the car.

I remember I drove some 2010 LS 460 with air suspension and my neck feel stiff from that stiff suspension. I can feel every road imperfections
Old 10-31-16, 08:01 AM
recycled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steerpike
I test drove a 2013 RX 350 late last year and decided against it due to the relatively bumpy ride/stiffer than expected suspension. 5 months later, I finally bought a 2013 RX 350 because I couldn't find anything better (won't risk any European model due to maintenance / reliability issues, and same goes for US models - so I'm limited in choices).

A day after buying it, I realized the tires were at 45 psi! Dropping that to 34 psi made a big difference. It is still a bit 'bumpy', and I blame that on the 19" rims. I really wish I had the 18" rims.

The car is VERY quiet and smooth at freeway speeds, which is my biggest requirement. It sucks on local streets at 20 mph ... .
I have to echo Steerpike's experience with the RX350. I bought the 2011 and find the ride smooth on smooth roads and choppy when on rough roads. I wanted the reliability of the RX and since buying in 2015 have had a leaky shock absorber replaced and a new battery. I tried an Acura RDX and I found it way rougher than the RX. To the person who wants a smoother ride than the RX try the Nissan Rogue. It has a great ride for a small suv but it is smaller than the RX. I have never tried the Nissan Murano(bigger than the Rogue) but if might be smoother than the RX.
Cheers, Guy
Old 10-31-16, 09:23 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by recycled
I have to echo Steerpike's experience with the RX350. I bought the 2011 and find the ride smooth on smooth roads and choppy when on rough roads. I wanted the reliability of the RX and since buying in 2015 have had a leaky shock absorber replaced and a new battery. I tried an Acura RDX and I found it way rougher than the RX. To the person who wants a smoother ride than the RX try the Nissan Rogue. It has a great ride for a small suv but it is smaller than the RX. I have never tried the Nissan Murano(bigger than the Rogue) but if might be smoother than the RX.
Cheers, Guy
I test drive new Honda accord, new Nissan Altima, 2014 Porsche Cayenne S, 2013 Range Rover Sports HSE, 2010 Lexus GX 460 on the same bumpy road with cracks and potholes this weekend. New Nissan Altima perform the best by a big margin and make me feel the bumpy road disappeared. The 2nd best is the new accord and the suspension feels a little bit flat. All the pre-owned luxury SUV just doesn’t have the ride as smooth as the new family sedans.
Old 10-31-16, 09:33 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I too dont really like the ride being a little harsh at times . Tire pressure in touchy 35 psi I dont like at all 32 psi is ok dropping down to 30 psi helps smooth the ride quite a bit .I know its a little low but it helps . I put 100 lb of sand in the back that made the biggest difference to me . Now I need to find a way to add weight with out having 2 bags of sand in the back .lol
Old 10-31-16, 10:31 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,085 Likes on 927 Posts

We went on a winery visit with another couple in the back (he is about 240 and his wife close to 200). I agree the RX rode better with the extra weight, and this was with brand new rear shocks.
Old 11-02-16, 11:30 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed a significant ride difference when I changed the tires from OE, paired with the new shocks the car drives like a dream now!
Old 11-02-16, 12:25 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
I noticed a significant ride difference when I changed the tires from OE, paired with the new shocks the car drives like a dream now!

Which tires, pray tell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)