RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 07-15-14, 05:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

park10, then I guess you know what you need to do, negotiate a deal on another RX. You'll blame every potential future problem on having the wrong size tires. I'm shaking my head over the dealer selling it to you that way. Now I have only owned RXs built in Japan. Lexus starting building them in Canada in August/September 2003, almost 11 years ago. It's not like they started yesterday. Drive a few RXs without looking at the VIN. And definitely take yours around the block a few times after the dealer puts on the right size tires. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-15-14, 05:34 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think it is just the tires. I think something is WAY out of whack. It i like prescription drugs. Take one for one symptom and it causes 4 other symptoms. These new suspension systems are super tuned. But when they are out of tune, well you get something like you got

I have no idea what my Vin is, and not sure I want to check
Old 07-15-14, 06:59 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi park 10 - I have had several RX's over the years....I bought a restyled brand new 2010 top of the line made in Japan and equipped with Dunflop tires....it was the worst riding RX that I have ever had. I managed to corner a Lexus Canada Rep at the Toronto International Auto Show and told him how unhappy I was with the ride and he agreed to change the tires to Michelin Lattitudes- which I love....fast forward to 2012 where I took delivery of a Canadian built 2013 with Michelins --again wonderful tires and a great ride! I insisted that my new RX come equipped with Michelins and further insisted on driving it for an hour before signing the bill to ensure I would be happy with the ride. My message to you is keep complaining to whoever you have to - the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Just a thought - have you taken an F-Sport for a drive --they have significant suspension changes with a much stiffer ride--I took one around the block and could not get out of it fast enough - I like the smoother ride. You might want to do that just to compare your ride to that of an F-Sport--who knows what might have happened to that vehicle while in the possession of the dealer as a demo. By the way, both my 10 and 13 have 19" wheels - I have had a loaner with 18's and they ride much differently. Good Luck and keep us posted!

dentate
Oshawa, ON and Pt Charlotte, FL
Old 07-15-14, 07:08 PM
dentate
Driver

Ok I just had another thought....just grabbed a flashlight to look too as it is dark here now....look at the tire inflation sticker in the door jamb of the driver's door.....mine only has a rating for 19 tires front and rear plus the spare (and my RX came from the factory with 19"s)....perhaps yours left the factory with 18" tires and not 19's so there may be suspension differences with the different size tires/wheels - they may have been swapped out at some point in time for a larger size....worth checking.

dentate
Old 07-15-14, 07:20 PM
dentate
Driver

I re-read one of your earlier posts in which you said that the spec sheet said 19" wheels but it actually came with 18" wheels and then you stated oh"well they would not fit anyway"....if someone swapped out the 19" wheels and tires for 18" wheels and tires, they certainly will fit. I would advise you to go back to that tire inflation sticker --my 2013 only has ratings for the 19" tires it was supposed to be equipped with --no mention of the 18's except for the small spare. Or call Lexus USA and find out what size tires and wheels that vehicle left the factory with...their info will be correct! Another purchaser may have insisted that his RX be equipped with the 19"s and yours could have been the donor vehicle while in dealer possession. Again, if there are suspension changes with different size tires I don't know but worth checking into. You also compared the ride with a highlander --I can tell you that in my personal opinion the 2004-2009 RX rode much smoother than the new ones --so it depends on what year your highlander is --the ride might be very different.

dentate
Old 07-15-14, 10:23 PM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Default this is a bugger of a problem

Originally Posted by park10
Hi Friends, Here is an update:---
Do you know what does he mean by Car was Designed for 19 inch wheels.. I thought it was just different size wheel rim and tire....but maybe not....
I think... he meant the car was designed with* 19 inch wheels. This seems to me like the tech had just started looking at the problem, and was rambling through things he noticed. I would not attach too much meaning to this detail.

There is definitely something wrong with your vehicle from your description of the steering. If the dealership doesn't figure it out, try an independent shop. If it comes to this, try to find a place that someone you know recommends. It is a good sign that they gave you a loaner vehicle, so don't give up on the dealership just yet. I just thought I would let you know what my next step would be, if I were in your shoes.
Old 07-16-14, 03:46 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
park10, then I guess you know what you need to do, negotiate a deal on another RX. You'll blame every potential future problem on having the wrong size tires.
^^^^ This is what you need to do. Stop stressing yourself and just get a new car--not necessarily an RX.

Be sure to take a nice, LONG test drive, like 30 miles or so over all kinds of roads.
Old 07-16-14, 07:24 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I say give the dealer a chance, but keep on them until they take care of your problem one way or another. It is their job to provide you satisfaction. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Demonstrate in front of the dealer with signs expressing your dissatisfaction They will hate that
Old 07-16-14, 07:41 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
^^^^ This is what you need to do. Stop stressing yourself and just get a new car--not necessarily an RX.

Be sure to take a nice, LONG test drive, like 30 miles or so over all kinds of roads.
I second this. Everyone is suggesting all this fixes for a subjective description of a supposed problem. It's a mechanical piece of a equipment and if everything is working to specs, then it might just be working to specs. And if that's the case, then no, Lexus is not going to 'tune' a stock working suspenstion to fit your taste. $7,000 to get out of a vehicle that is causing you so much angst and to get into a vehicle that you enjoy is a small price to pay. Especially considering your previous good deal obtained.

Hope they do find something wrong but with you complaining of steering AND handling issues, I doubt you'd ever been content considering how strongly worded the review.
Old 07-16-14, 08:34 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the fence about getting the f sport and the dealer here gave me a loaner for a few days. It had dunlops on it and I felt the ride was better than the car I ended up getting, which has the michelins. But the steering in the loaner was much tighter- so much so that I was afraid it was going to be the same on my car but it wasn't, thankfully.

I also don't buy the whole "designed for 19 inch wheels" malarkey. If anything, going to 18 inch wheels would improve ride quality while sacrificing only handling. It would NOT cause the comfort to get worse. The base rx comes standard with 18s, with 19s as an option. But folks have successfully put 21s on their base RXs with no problem. Yes the ride is firmer with that setup but that's because there is significantly less tire sidewall. Going from 19s to 18s gives an 8% increase in sidewall height which would soften the ride...not make it worse. 18 inch wheels as the cause of the bad ride is the worst excuse I have ever heard. I am surprised it came from someone at the dealer.
Old 07-16-14, 08:49 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I was on the fence about getting the f sport and the dealer here gave me a loaner for a few days. It had dunlops on it and I felt the ride was better than the car I ended up getting, which has the michelins. But the steering in the loaner was much tighter- so much so that I was afraid it was going to be the same on my car but it wasn't, thankfully.

I also don't buy the whole "designed for 19 inch wheels" malarkey. If anything, going to 18 inch wheels would improve ride quality while sacrificing only handling. It would NOT cause the comfort to get worse. The base rx comes standard with 18s, with 19s as an option. But folks have successfully put 21s on their base RXs with no problem. Yes the ride is firmer with that setup but that's because there is significantly less tire sidewall. Going from 19s to 18s gives an 8% increase in sidewall height which would soften the ride...not make it worse. 18 inch wheels as the cause of the bad ride is the worst excuse I have ever heard. I am surprised it came from someone at the dealer.
Right. "Designed for 18 inch wheels" means absolutely NOTHING. It is gibberish speak. Like I said, if the steering on ANY car I had was as tight as you say, I would ditch that car. And the suspension too? Definitely get them to admit something is wrong. Maybe somehow simply badly built shocks are the issue. Not something that would be apparent unless the shock itself was taken apart, but there nevertheless. Or maybe a disgruntled employee soldered/welded where they should not have have.

But it sure does seem that SOMETHING is an issue. And not like a "princess and the pea" type of thing but a valid issue.
Old 07-16-14, 10:33 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember an incident, when a neighbor drove a camry LE ... loved the ride and the feel. Then went to the dealer and bought an SE model which was a much harsher suspension...but chose it because of the looks.

Next day went to the dealer to let them know the shocks were dead, and was given a wrong car. Not that its the same case, just wanted to share this.

For me as well, i expected more from the RX, but that was from listening to others and reading about it. Maybe the car was not what you thought it was?
Old 07-16-14, 11:40 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been following this thread with interests. I notice a couple of things out of my own observations and want to put in my two cents.

park10: it sounds like you really really desire the '15 RX. You made about three or so references to the '15 model and it seems you really set your heart on this model. Too bad you're stuck with your current RX but keep returning to the Lexus dealer with your issues until they can't take it anymore and they will sell you the '15 model for a better price than if you had to sell your Rx and buy the '15 on the market.

I remember a similar issue on this forum a while ago when one female member complained endlessly about some hesitation issues, seemed made-up to me, on her RX. She kept on bugging the dealer over and over until they ended up buying her car back out of avoiding a PR nightmare and sold her a newer RX that she wanted. End of story. I don't think I ever heard from her again on this forum. Although I think she might come back when the next lexus model came out.

Last edited by sc400; 07-17-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 04:54 PM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi - here is the update---
Just like I expected, the dealer found Nothing wrong with the car !! They said they inspected everything and there is nothing that they can do... they r not going to take the car apart to inspect/test every component..
They swapped out the 18inch wheel put temporary 19 inch and asked me to test drive. Well, there was no difference between the rides. It drives rough like a steel block....So the 18 were put back and the car was returned back to me.The loaner I had for 24 hrs was so smooth....
anyway, now what do I do ?? I was informed that lexus master field technician happens to be coming to the dealership next Wednesday and that I should meet him, and if he asks them to do something, they will do it..I said okay -- we'll see how that goes...
My point is without actually taking the components apart and testing them, how can u say OK just by visually inspecting them ?? I am going to talk to Lexus zonal guy, but he already told me he will go with the dealers opinion.... really at a loss here....
I was told that since there is nothing mechanically malfunctioning/missing with the car, I am going to have tough time convincing lexus or lemon law.. problems like ride quality etc can be subjective...
I had open challenge to the dealer techs--- drive the Loaner that u gave me or any other loaner and then drive my car....if u cant feel the ride difference either u are lunatic or just flat out lying....
but unfortunately I don't know where that leaves me now......
Old 07-16-14, 05:25 PM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also quantify and document the ride of your RX with another RX by placing a mobile phone on the seat. There are several apps available for this, e.g.

iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mult...354112909?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivib...330500512?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vibr...301097580?mt=8

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibration&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vrmobile&hl=en

HTH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)