RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 08:05 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
JimLeslie, I think that is a good choice. Motor trend did a comparison a while back of varying tire sizes looking at acceleration, handling, ride comfort and road noise. They actually found 18 inch tires were better in each category compared to the same tire that was 19inches. Not a huge surprise, except for their findings on handling, which everyone expected the 19s to win, but they didn't. It's funny that people opt for 19 inch wheels/tires thinking it is better for performance- they arent'. It is all about looks. I will swap my F sport 19s for aftermarket 18s and slightly wider tires (245/55 R 18s) in the fall. This will give me a significantly taller side wall (a 13% increase), a wider tire for better handling, and will offer more and cheaper options for tires as well. Plus the lighter wheels will give better fuel economy.

good luck!
Not sure I agree with the simplicity of your argument, but understand your point. Can a 19 inch setup be better performance wise. Of course. Can an 18, yes. So many different variables in each set up to where the argument can go on forever with no clear answer. Can go wider and taller on your 19's, switch tire brands and buy a lighter wheel and have a better set up. But that same setup will give extremely different results to someone else driving here in NYC with our roads.

Really comes down to doing the research as to what will be the best fit for whatever your personal driving environment will be. And even then, over 50% of the response will be subjective.
Old 08-20-13, 08:13 PM
JimLeslie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JimLeslie, I think that is a good choice. Motor trend did a comparison a while back of varying tire sizes looking at acceleration, handling, ride comfort and road noise. They actually found 18 inch tires were better in each category compared to the same tire that was 19inches. Not a huge surprise, except for their findings on handling, which everyone expected the 19s to win, but they didn't. It's funny that people opt for 19 inch wheels/tires thinking it is better for performance- they arent'. It is all about looks. I will swap my F sport 19s for aftermarket 18s and slightly wider tires (245/55 R 18s) in the fall. This will give me a significantly taller side wall (a 13% increase), a wider tire for better handling, and will offer more and cheaper options for tires as well. Plus the lighter wheels will give better fuel economy.

good luck!
Thanks to all who have commented on this issue. One additional point that I wanted to mention is that the p235/60r18's when mounted will be nearly identical to the existing p235/55r19's in tire height. This means that there will be no issues with the present speedometer settings.
Old 08-21-13, 12:51 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oohpapi,

good points. I only mentioned the tire swap because I don't think the ride is so bad that I am willing to trade in the car, sell it, or do more invasive alterations (i.e., shocks/ struts and/springs). From everything I have read, the tire swap (down to smaller rim sizes) will offer an improvement, albeit likely small in the grand scheme of things. I also agree about the subjectivity. I was someone who initially thought the F sport was going to be too rough riding. I test drove the F sport and regular RX back to back at the dealership, specifically trying to tell the difference between the two as I went over city and highway road imperfections. I could feel them more in the F sport more, but not enough to give up the other F sport additions. I have owned the car for 5 months and can say I really don't notice it that much, but someone coming from a VERY soft ride would think it's horrible.

I do think that lexus vehicles should come with an adjustable suspension though (like the GS F sport does, I believe). I agree with other posts that if you are going to pay upwards of $60-70K for a car, that should be standard.
Old 03-13-14, 03:33 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Default 3rd Gen Lexus RX350 hard suspension

I was wondering if anyone can chime in on the "problem" I'm experiencing,
I own a '11 Lexus RX350 and I noticed the suspension is REALLY hard. When I go over bumps, potholes etc the car doesn't smooth it out at all. I was wanting to know if it's an issue with the suspension or is this just how it is?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-14, 03:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you have the 18" or 19" wheel package? Which brand tires?
Old 03-13-14, 03:56 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Do you have the 18" or 19" wheel package? Which brand tires?
I have Latitudes paired with 19'' rims.
Old 03-13-14, 04:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

dat dude. We discussed this a little in your other "Real Wood" thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8384068-post19.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8385653-post27.html

Check the psi and to be 100% sure, have a technician drive with you next time you (or your dad) bring it in for servicing.
Old 03-13-14, 04:05 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

I have the same wheels and tires. I also have the f sport which has a firmer suspension. But I have noticed over the past year the tires have worn out very fast and the ride has gotten worse because of it. When the tires were new the suspension provided a firm yet compliant ride and the tires seemed to soak up most of the road imperfections. Now I am experiencing what the tirerack reviewers noted- that the michelins ride hard, and road imperfections are felt with a significant thump in the cabin, compared to other tires they tested. I'll never buy michelins again. Bridgestone and continental seem to make much better tires.
Old 03-13-14, 04:08 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
dat dude. We discussed this a little in your other "Real Wood" thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8384068-post19.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8385653-post27.html

Check the psi and to be 100% sure, have a technician drive with you next time you (or your dad) bring it in for servicing.
Yup I remember, I followed your advice and adjusted the PSI and still no difference. I've arranged with my dealership to drive another RX they have in stock to see if I experience the same drive. But I do remember seeing the '11's have issues with their suspension so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
Old 03-13-14, 04:09 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

I have the same wheels and tires. I also have the f sport which has a firmer suspension. But I have noticed over the past year the tires have worn out very fast and the ride has gotten worse because of it. When the tires were new the suspension provided a firm yet compliant ride and the tires seemed to soak up most of the road imperfections. Now I am experiencing what the tirerack reviewers noted- that the michelins ride hard, and road imperfections are felt with a significant thump in the cabin, compared to other tires they tested. I'll never buy michelins again. Bridgestone and continental seem to make much better tires.
You are right Michellin's are total garbage. I switched to Yokohama Advids on my Corolla and they are much better. I might try them on my RX when the time comes.
Old 03-13-14, 04:51 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Which Michelin Latitudes are you talking about? The Tour or Sport?
The Sports have a terrible tread life rating.

If you put Michelin MXM4 Pilots on you will change your tune. Best riding tire I've seen.

John
Old 03-13-14, 06:15 PM
MacCat
Rookie

I have noticed a hard ride on my 2010 RX 350 (FWD)
It has the Yokohama tires: 235/55 R19
They are set to 32 psi.
I think this is a lower profile tire

I run Sumitomo's (235/65 R16) Touring on my other SUV and even at 36 psi, they ride better and quieter.
It is a smaller wheel and taller tire profile.

My favorites were Pirelli Stingers (scorpion logo), but they were so soft they wore badly and too fast.
Old 03-13-14, 07:21 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by txes
Which Michelin Latitudes are you talking about? The Tour or Sport?
The Sports have a terrible tread life rating.

If you put Michelin MXM4 Pilots on you will change your tune. Best riding tire I've seen.

John
I have the tour version. I hate them. I have heard good things about the mxm4s but the problem is they are $280 per tire! Some others have been rated much better and cost more than $100 less, like the Bridgestone ecopias and a continental set that was rated number 1 on tirerack.
Old 03-15-14, 10:31 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Update*** I took my Lexus in and they noticed something was wrong with the suspension. They didn't tell me which part it was but they will be replacing it under warranty Tuesday.
Old 03-16-14, 09:14 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Bumpy Ride

Originally Posted by dat dude
Update*** I took my Lexus in and they noticed something was wrong with the suspension. They didn't tell me which part it was but they will be replacing it under warranty Tuesday.
We bought an '11 RX350 CPO last November. The ride seemed rough then. Yesterday, on typical highway road conditions, it rode like a truck. Felt every bump and road irregularities. Seems to be getting worse. 18" Bridgestone Dueller M+S. Probably factory tires. Took it in two weeks after purchase with the rough ride concern. Dealer said ride is normal. Roads around the dealership are smooth. No way to adjust shocks per dealer.
I'm very interested in what Dat Dude discovers. We're under warranty.
Ray A.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)