RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Aftermarket Wheel thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 04:15 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested to see what an offset of 37 will look like as well. One question- I am still unsure of what the oem offset is. Is it 35 or 45??? I have both references online.
Old 03-16-14, 08:53 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will post the 37mm offset setup tomorrow. I installed the 20x8.5 Lumarai "Morro" wheel package tonight but it's to dark to take pics. OE is 35mm., 37mm will bring the 8.5 inch rims inward 2mm from
OE, or .078 inches which is negligible.
I had 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers with my OE 19x7.5" Lexus rims, just for fun I kept the spacers on with the Lumarai rims, The net result increased the rim width to 9.2 inches from 8.5 inches (8.5 inches plus 20mm = 9.27 inches - 2mm offset for the 37mm Lumarai rims = 9.2 inches) and to my surprise the package filled the wheel well to the aggressive stance I was attempting to achieve, tires completely flush with the top of the fenders.
The OE setup weighed 58 Lb's the Lumarai at 60Lb's, not a bad trade off for much larger rims, couldn't notice any deficiency in acceleration, Rx feels very planted now with the 265/45/20's and less body roll and more positive feed back steering, no vibration nor clearance issues.
TPMS programmed with my Ateq QuickSet tool, I merely have to push the Winter button which in my case is the OE wheels or press the Summer button on the device for the Lumarai setup, no visits to a Lexus Dealership or tire shop for programming!

Last edited by tak06; 03-21-14 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 07:55 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

That style compliments the rx very well. Almost looks like a factory option. Nice choice! I was looking for black or dark gray wheels and didn't really like this style with the black spokes, but I may have to rethink it.
Old 03-20-14, 07:22 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Perfect info. Thanks so much, can I ask what brand You went with? And if you have been happy with them from a durability standpoint? There are so many manufacturers you never know about the quality of some of them. I would also love to see a picture to see how they fill out the wheel wells (if you wouldn't mind)
Here are the wheels I went with. The choices on the TireRack are limited for the RX and these were on the low end of the price range. This is my winter set, so the looks are not as important. It worked out great. 255s are absolutely perfect with the winter tread.

I will try to dig out pictures I took of them when the RX was washed.
Old 03-20-14, 10:15 PM
mohrd
Driver

That style compliments the rx very well. Almost looks like a factory option. Nice choice! I was looking for black or dark gray wheels and didn't really like this style with the black spokes, but I may have to rethink it.
I've got the black Lumarai Morro's on my obsidian '10 RX and really like the look with the diamond cut lip. Looks more complimentary to the RX than a completely black or gunmetal wheel does, IMHO because of the chrome beltline trim, window trim, etc that we have.
Old 03-21-14, 09:43 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mohrd
I've got the black Lumarai Morro's on my obsidian '10 RX and really like the look with the diamond cut lip. Looks more complimentary to the RX than a completely black or gunmetal wheel does, IMHO because of the chrome beltline trim, window trim, etc that we have.
I hate to ask for any pictures you might have handy, but I would really appreciate being able to see it. The lumarai wheels are very attractive, given that they are specific for Lexus, which I think goes a long way in reducing my anxiety about getting aftermarket wheels. Did you have to use spacers as well? if I go with a 255 width, I wonder if I am going to have to use them if I use the lumarai with the 37 offset.
Old 03-21-14, 09:45 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Here are the wheels I went with. The choices on the TireRack are limited for the RX and these were on the low end of the price range. This is my winter set, so the looks are not as important. It worked out great. 255s are absolutely perfect with the winter tread.

I will try to dig out pictures I took of them when the RX was washed.
I like those. Similar to the style I am looking for. Have you had any quality issues with the advanti brand? And did you have any issues with vibration at highway speeds? I only ask because I put some aftermarket wheels on my honda civic years ago and never thought to ask about hub centric spacers (I hadn't even heard of those at that point). I don't think the shady shop I used bothered with them, and only now I am realizing that the shimmy i felt on the highway was because they omitted the spacers.
Old 03-21-14, 10:25 AM
mohrd
Driver

I hate to ask for any pictures you might have handy, but I would really appreciate being able to see it. The lumarai wheels are very attractive, given that they are specific for Lexus, which I think goes a long way in reducing my anxiety about getting aftermarket wheels. Did you have to use spacers as well? if I go with a 255 width, I wonder if I am going to have to use them if I use the lumarai with the 37 offset.
Waiting til spring actually gets here to put the Morro's back on. Probably within the next 10 days and I can snap a picture or two. For the winter I have a set of the Black Kya's. I went with the 19" wheel and standard tire size so no spacers or anything but I get it that you are looking for a more aggressive look. If you go to http://www.lumaraiwheels.com/lexus-wheels-configurator/ there is a visual presentation where you can select the Lumarai wheel and your paint color.
Old 03-21-14, 11:18 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I had them for 2 seasons now. Seem to be holding up. Quality may not be on par with OEM, but is decent. Perfect for my needs. Tirerack included both the lug nuts and the centering rings. The lug nut size is not the same as OEM, so I bought and 1/2" socket and threw in the breaker bar in the trunk.
Balancing is absolutely perfect from TireRack. They use road-force balancing machine, which is more precise than the traditional method. So, no vibrations or any other problems.
Old 03-21-14, 11:49 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mohrd
Waiting til spring actually gets here to put the Morro's back on. Probably within the next 10 days and I can snap a picture or two. For the winter I have a set of the Black Kya's. I went with the 19" wheel and standard tire size so no spacers or anything but I get it that you are looking for a more aggressive look. If you go to http://www.lumaraiwheels.com/lexus-wheels-configurator/ there is a visual presentation where you can select the Lumarai wheel and your paint color.
Thanks. I will check that out.

@Vlad- thanks for the information. The prices from tirerack are better than local, but I was worried about having an issue with the balancing or mounting and having to deal with shipping them back.
Old 03-21-14, 12:10 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

You're welcome! TireRack rocks!
Old 03-26-14, 01:34 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Default Last request for advice

OK....thanks for everyone's input. I have narrowed it down to three wheels and wanted to know everyone's opinion of value, fitment (although all are supposed to fit fine), and brand durability. Here they are:

Name:  tswinterlagos.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  5.4 KB
TSW Interlagos- $256/wheel from tirerack
18x8.5 +20 offset
OR
18x9 +32 offset
my worry is that the +20 offset will push the wheel out too far, perhaps going beyond the fender

RX Aftermarket Wheel thread-lorenzo_wl32_b_ci3_l.jpg
Lorenzo WL32 (apparently lorenzo is made by american racing, which was rated very high with regards to durability)
$237/tire (http://www.carid.com/lorenzo-wheels/...ck-871190.html)
18x8 +32 offset

Name:  konig-oversteer-black-main.bmp
Views: 4527
Size:  447.6 KB
Konig oversteer (a new one from Konig....which was also rated high for durability)
only $177/wheel!! (http://www.carid.com/konig-wheels/ov...-17194759.html)
18 x9 +22 offset

Obviously looks is completely subjective, but regarding quality, my question is whether the price increase of the TSWs is worth it for the long haul, as they are rotary forged, and apparently stronger. Should I assume that because the Lorenzo's are made by American Racing, they are of decently high quality? Also, the guys at Carid said that any wheel with an offset of +34 to +20 will fit in the fenders without protruding. So apparently NONE of these should poke out. (I would like the wheels to be pushed to the outside a bit, but not so much that they stick out. I think I will be fine with any of these, though.) Lastly, should the relatively low price of the Konigs be a sign that they are lower quality? Often you get what you pay for, and I am not against paying the TSW or Lorenzo price if there is a significant difference in quality/durability.

But, Would appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by viperdoc; 03-26-14 at 01:37 PM.