RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

iPhone 5s vs Galaxy S4 and the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 08:44 PM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 5s vs Galaxy S4 and the RX?

I think I am finally going to upgrade from an old flip phone to a smart phone, with the two most likely candidates being the iPhone 5S and the Samsung Galaxy S4. But which offers more with respect to 2014 RX integration?

I've looked at the Lexus Mobile Link page, and according to the features list they look essentially equivalent to me. One area of difference, not noted in these pages, is Siri on the iPhone and its integration with the car. I've seen that demo'ed and am not certain that would be useful (I don't text, for example).

I'd appreciate any comments on how well either phone integrates with the 2014 RX and whether that integration makes any compelling argument for one phone vs the other.

I can integrate an Android phone better with the rest of my computing universe (Windows, Google, and Android tablet, etc.), so I am biased towards an Android phone.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 02-20-14, 10:55 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I have a 2013 RX so I am not familiar with the new Siri eyes free integration. Keep in mind that Siri can do much more for you than just send a text. My wife has an iPhone 5 and I recently was required to go to one for work. The Bluetooth performance may be the thing you want to consider the most if you aren't seeing a use for Siri integration. With that said, I have been very underwhelmed with the Bluetooth speakerphone quality. The audio is quite tinny. I find this a bit ironic, since my much-maligned Blackberry had very good Bluetooth speakerphone quality in the same RX.

The other feature you may want to use, the Enform suite, is probably very similar between the two phones and I imagine both produce good audio playback from your phone's music library.

So in my humble opinion, there is no major advantage to the iPhone (and possibly a speakerphone quality disadvantage), so if the Android fits your other needs better, I wouldn't be afraid to go that route.

Doug
Old 02-20-14, 11:02 PM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

Siri eyes free is absolutely spectacular in my RX 450. I can use iMessage texting while driving and voice recognition is flawless. I can ecen use the phones navigation while simply following my path on the map. I would certainly recommend the iPhone route.
Old 02-21-14, 05:18 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

I think with the phones today, especially those 2 that you mentioned, both will work just fine with just 'basic' bluetooth functionality - hands free calling, phone book integration, etc.

You hit it on the head when you mentioned integration with the rest of your computing world. If you are already familiar with one platform, and like it and will require the least amount of a learning curve - stick to it. With today's offering from iOS or Android it really comes down to personal preference.

Side comment: My son has a Nexus 5 and I have an iPhone 5. I like the "Hey Google" functionality vs Siri (but don't tell him that).
Old 02-21-14, 05:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

iPhone 5s. Especially if "iOS in the car" is coming to Lexus, which I assume it will eventually.
Old 02-21-14, 07:08 AM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
iPhone 5s. Especially if "iOS in the car" is coming to Lexus, which I assume it will eventually.
Why do you assume that? And even if it does, it would probably only be in new vehicles. I'll have this car longer than whatever smartphone I buy now.
Old 02-21-14, 07:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Seeker4
Why do you assume that? And even if it does, it would probably only be in new vehicles. I'll have this car longer than whatever smartphone I buy now.
Lexus was one of the first to bring Siri Eye's free to their cars, so I'd assume they'd be willing to give iOS in the car a shot eventually once it's actually released.
Old 02-21-14, 09:24 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

As much as I love iDevices simply because they work, unlike Android, which has a field of testers out there called users.
If you need a reason to buy an Android device, take a look here:
http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php

P.S.
I hope they offer support for 2013+ models.
Old 02-21-14, 09:37 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
As much as I love iDevices simply because they work, unlike Android, which has a field of testers out there called users.

P.S.
I hope they offer support for 2013+ models.
WOW!

That being said, we like the Lexus NAV system and especially the ability to talk to a live person while driving and having our destination loaded into the NAV system. Looks like this would replace that feature.
Old 02-21-14, 11:23 AM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Wow! That is interesting. I'll contact VAIS about whether they do or are going to support my car.
Old 02-21-14, 12:16 PM
desmo907
Driver

Wow! That is interesting. I'll contact VAIS about whether they do or are going to support my car.
Quite interesting. What was missing in the demo was the ability to send text messages. I assume I can see and reply to SMS with this system. But can I also reply with an SMS via my voice? Do I have to select the Mic button on the Android keypad?
I hate that abut my 2013 450h - I can "talk" to it to call somebody (if it correctly recognizes what I say) but I cannot use the same voice recognition to respond to a text. All I have is are those canned SMS replies. That cannot be so hard to do.

I also do not understand the 3 versions they sell and why some are subscription. Why would I need Enform and the Apps if I had this?
Old 02-21-14, 12:21 PM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

I'll contact VAIS about whether they do or are going to support my car.
I asked VAIS about support for the 2014 RX 450h. They said "Not yet, but this is being worked on. We expect to have it done in about a month"
Old 02-21-14, 03:20 PM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by desmo907
Quite interesting. What was missing in the demo was the ability to send text messages. I assume I can see and reply to SMS with this system. But can I also reply with an SMS via my voice? Do I have to select the Mic button on the Android keypad?
I hate that abut my 2013 450h - I can "talk" to it to call somebody (if it correctly recognizes what I say) but I cannot use the same voice recognition to respond to a text. All I have is are those canned SMS replies. That cannot be so hard to do.

I also do not understand the 3 versions they sell and why some are subscription. Why would I need Enform and the Apps if I had this?
Siri eyes free let's you do anything that can be done on the iPhone. You can have messages read to you and you can reply to them, also while driving. You invoke Siri by pressing and holding the phone lift button (just like pressing the home button on the phone). You can give any command that Siri understands. You can play a song, get the weather, call someone, play a song or playlist, navigate to an address (no need to have it stored). Just watch any video about Siri to understand what you can do. Unfortunately, you won't see the iPhone screen mirrored. Still, it's really cool to text that way and I use navigation with it while observing my location on the car's navigation screen. It's pretty cool really. Oh, and the buil-in voice stuff remains available by pressing the voice button. Very transparent.
Old 02-21-14, 05:15 PM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Seeker4 it sounds like you are leaning towards the android platform which is fine but instead of the s4 you should wait a month and get the s5. Latest technology; fingerprint sensor, etc. To answer your question about which offers better integration with the 14 RX I have to agree with Armadillo. Hands down the iphone 5s is the choice. Siri will access your entire phone book and addresses. Siri's voice recognition is far superior to the Lexus. Bluetooth audio is outstanding with the iPhone. And with iOS in the car coming in a couple of weeks it's just going to get better.
Old 02-21-14, 05:46 PM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

I am definitely waiting to see the S5 announcement due Monday! Then it will depend on features vs pricing. But I am still undecided on iPhone vs Android.

You say "iOS in the car coming in a couple of weeks." Can you refer me to specifics? As best I can tell from postings on the web, iOS in the car for 7.1 is still in the rumor stage.

Last edited by Seeker4; 02-21-14 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: iPhone 5s vs Galaxy S4 and the RX?