RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus RX saved my life

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 09:53 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus RX saved my life

I was driving down a road covered with ice, I subsequently lost control and was right in the path of a cliff, the VDIM system immediately kicked in and I gained control. I'm so sure that if I was driving any other car I would've gone straight down that cliff and it would've been fatal. I have a new respect for the RX, I will NEVER buy anything but an RX.
Old 02-21-14, 05:34 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In the US, VDIM although listed as an option was only available on the RX 450h (as part of the standard equip package). I didn't know the regular RX 350 had it available in Canada. Maybe it's because of the harsher winters there. Yea, I can understand your faith in it, I've felt it work before in extreme situations and it can determinately be a factor in whether or not a wreck can be avoided. Probably some other (h) owners have experienced it as well.
Originally Posted by dat dude
I was driving down a road covered with ice, I subsequently lost control and was right in the path of a cliff, the VDIM system immediately kicked in and I gained control. I'm so sure that if I was driving any other car I would've gone straight down that cliff and it would've been fatal. I have a new respect for the RX, I will NEVER buy anything but an RX.
Old 02-21-14, 10:00 AM
dxr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that's great to hear! Glad everything worked out for ya and thanks for sharing your story.
Old 02-21-14, 10:29 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by dat dude
Glad to hear that you're safe and that your RX saved your life. However, many modern AWD vehicles could have done the same, if not better.
Old 02-21-14, 10:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by felix168
Glad to hear that you're safe and that your RX saved your life. However, many modern AWD vehicles could have done the same, if not better.
How do you do "better" than not driving off a cliff?
Old 02-21-14, 11:51 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Exactly! I swear, some people must not read their posts before clicking the "Submit Reply" button.

dat dude, glad to hear you're ok and thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-21-14, 12:08 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
In the US, VDIM although listed as an option was only available on the RX 450h (as part of the standard equip package). I didn't know the regular RX 350 had it available in Canada. Maybe it's because of the harsher winters there. Yea, I can understand your faith in it, I've felt it work before in extreme situations and it can determinately be a factor in whether or not a wreck can be avoided. Probably some other (h) owners have experienced it as well.
Yea most Canadian cars are loaded slightly more than US model, and yea the VDIM does defiantly factor in these situations.
Old 02-21-14, 12:09 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StillLine
Exactly! I swear, some people must not read their posts before clicking the "Submit Reply" button.

dat dude, glad to hear you're ok and thanks for sharing your experience.
Thank You very much!
Old 02-21-14, 12:11 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Thank You very much! I might have to disagree on that second point, my buddy has an X5 and he spun right out and smashed into the guard rail when driving down that exact same car. I seriously think Lexus has done an amazing job with their AWD /VDIM system.
Old 02-21-14, 12:12 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dxr
wow that's great to hear! Glad everything worked out for ya and thanks for sharing your story.
Thank You!! Yea I thought I should share just how safe and capable the RX is in sticky situations.
Old 02-21-14, 12:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

According to the Canadian Lexus web site, only the RX350 F Sport and the hybrid have VDIM. Perhaps they changed that after your 2011? It's hard to keep up with the changes sometimes. It shows the regular RX350 has having Acitve Torque Control System, Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, and the Hill-start Assist Control, but no VDIM. Nonetheless, happy to hear it turned out okay for you.
Old 02-21-14, 12:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

According to the Canadian Lexus web site, only the RX350 F Sport and the hybrid have VDIM. Perhaps they changed that after your 2011? It's hard to keep up with the changes sometimes. It shows the regular RX350 has having Acitve Torque Control System, Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, and the Hill-start Assist Control, but no VDIM. Nonetheless, happy to hear it turned out okay for you.
After exploring the site further, it shows VDIM as being available on the RX350 with the Technology Package, so I stand corrected on my previous post.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automobiles/rx#/handling

VDIM

Seamlessly integrating an array of handling and traction control systems, Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) is standard on RX 350 F SPORT and RX 450h (also available on RX 350 Technology Package). VDIM delivers unparalleled straight-line stability, precise cornering performance, and sporty, crossover-exclusive driving capability.
Old 02-21-14, 01:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

dad dude, glad to hear you and your RX are safe. I agree, VDIM is a great feature. I've been encountering my share of black ice the past few weeks between melting snow and salt shortage. In fact the last time was just yesterday morning. Considering the weight of the RX, it's nothing short of astounding. Be safe out there.
Old 02-21-14, 02:37 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are here to tell us about it. The RX350 really is a great car!
Old 02-21-14, 03:49 PM
felix168
Rookie

By not letting the car get out of control to begin with, and that's better. That "other" car with the SH-AWD is a fine example.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX saved my life