RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Amazed at how well our RX does in the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 05:54 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Amazed at how well our RX does in the snow!

I noticed an old thread below about folks being disappointed in their RX's ability to handle the snow. My experience is just the opposite: Our 2010 did amazingly well in the snow recently. The story:

About 2 weeks ago, we had to drive East over the mountains to Denver, knowing in advance that we might encounter snow. Negotiating Vail Pass was one of the absolute worst snow-driving experiences I have encountered in more than 25 years of Colorado winters. First, it was snowing like crazy. Then,the Highway Patrol was requiring ALL big trucks to chain up, which was a big red flag. Next, traffic came to a nearly complete stop because so many little car drivers (mostly Toyota Priuses) had started up over the pass with 2WD and no snow tires. They would simply sit in the traffic lanes and spin their tires, going nowhere. Yes, VERY icy under the snow. Thank goodness there weren't two side-by-side as we climbed; just many single vehicles blocking traffic.

These morons forced me and other veteran Colorado drivers to figure out a way around them, as they obviously would not, or could not move their cars. We frequently had to drive around them on the right shoulder, where the snow was up to 8-10" deep. The RX just plowed through everything and NEVER slipped once. I was really surprised at this and totally confident in the RX. This is on a nearly new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season (M&S Rated) tires, which don't inspire much confidence when you look at them.

I can honestly say that I have never owned a better AWD vehicle than this RX before, and I have owned many SUVs and trucks. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 02-05-14, 06:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice report. Tires play a role in traction. I hear great things from the Pirellis, I know Anita (kitlz) can attest. The RX is fairly good with the Michelin Latitudes, but I know it can do better with better tires.
Old 02-05-14, 08:15 PM
Maertens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today we had 15cm (6") snow in Toronto, often over icy roads. My 2010 RX did pretty well indeed. Tires - 19" all season, not sure what brand. Parking sensors were false alarming due to the heavily falling snow.
Old 02-06-14, 01:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Being from Jacksonville Florida, I will never know. I miss the snow but after seeing what is going on in other parts of the country, I am liking Florida even more.
Old 02-06-14, 12:25 PM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
I noticed an old thread below about folks being disappointed in their RX's ability to handle the snow. My experience is just the opposite: Our 2010 did amazingly well in the snow recently. The story:

About 2 weeks ago, we had to drive East over the mountains to Denver, knowing in advance that we might encounter snow. Negotiating Vail Pass was one of the absolute worst snow-driving experiences I have encountered in more than 25 years of Colorado winters. First, it was snowing like crazy. Then,the Highway Patrol was requiring ALL big trucks to chain up, which was a big red flag. Next, traffic came to a nearly complete stop because so many little car drivers (mostly Toyota Priuses) had started up over the pass with 2WD and no snow tires. They would simply sit in the traffic lanes and spin their tires, going nowhere. Yes, VERY icy under the snow. Thank goodness there weren't two side-by-side as we climbed; just many single vehicles blocking traffic.

These morons forced me and other veteran Colorado drivers to figure out a way around them, as they obviously would not, or could not move their cars. We frequently had to drive around them on the right shoulder, where the snow was up to 8-10" deep. The RX just plowed through everything and NEVER slipped once. I was really surprised at this and totally confident in the RX. This is on a nearly new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season (M&S Rated) tires, which don't inspire much confidence when you look at them.

I can honestly say that I have never owned a better AWD vehicle than this RX before, and I have owned many SUVs and trucks. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
I have the Scorpions as well and I've been very pleased with their snow performance. Those of us in the northeast are getting multiple chances to test our snow capabilities this year.
Old 02-06-14, 01:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

RXinNJ, I actually passed on the opportunity to take my RXh skiing on Monday and then skating yesterday. It was tempting but I didn't want to get him all dirty. And it's so hard to get the snow out of the wheel wells now, LOL! I'm sure it'll happen soon enough. We're averaging a storm every 2-3 days.

RickC5, I can vouch for the area you were driving in. It's not for the faint of heart in winter time. Guess you still have that influx from California, LOL! I remember hearing stories from my old boss when I lived in Denver. He was in Nederland, 20 years removed from New York only in the physical sense. I can't repeat what he used to say about all the non-native Colorado drivers in winter time trying to get around in their fancy RWD cars. Let's just say moron would've been a compliment, LOL! I'm glad you're putting the RX to good use out there in the snow and having some fun. That's what it's all about.
Old 02-06-14, 04:31 PM
Browninggo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 14' F-Sport has been great in SouthWestern Michigan. Around 2 1/2'-3' on the ground. Doesn't even spin the tires. My wife main drive daily to work. She loves it! Here is a picture of a drifted road a few miles from our home. Picture was snapped around a week ago. Since then we've had Another 8"-12" of snow.
Attached Thumbnails Amazed at how well our RX does in the snow!-image.jpg  
Old 02-06-14, 07:00 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
RickC5, I can vouch for the area you were driving in. It's not for the faint of heart in winter time. Guess you still have that influx from California, LOL! I remember hearing stories from my old boss when I lived in Denver. He was in Nederland, 20 years removed from New York only in the physical sense. I can't repeat what he used to say about all the non-native Colorado drivers in winter time trying to get around in their fancy RWD cars. Let's just say moron would've been a compliment, LOL! I'm glad you're putting the RX to good use out there in the snow and having some fun. That's what it's all about.
I need to say that the snow predictions that Monday morning would not have deterred many folks from attempting to get over the mountains. Combine that with the fact that most drivers have no clue about the limitations of their vehicles, and you have a recipe for multiple traffic jams--just what we had--going over Vail Pass.

Interestingly, some of those folks impeding traffic actually had Colorado license plates. Obviously never tried Vail Pass during a major snow storm however. This is all made worse by the fact that there's no place to turn around when you realize you are in over your head. From East Vail, where the trucks chain up, it's eight miles to the top, where you could turn around, but hey, now it's downhill & not snowing as much. Denver, here we come. OMG!

This stuff happens every single winter in the mountains here, and once you get used to it (sort of), you just get up earlier and watch a typical 4.5 hour drive turn into a 6+ hour drive. We try to not do that drive to Denver in the winter if we can successfully avoid it.