RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 01:51 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we noticed that sometimes my wife can not open the passenger door even though she is carrying her key in her bag. This mean if I open the driver door with my key (in my pocket), that locks the pass door for the other key? What is the reasoning behind that?

We dont have a spare key. We also dont have a wallet key. I was told wallet key are for 2009 and below. No such thing for 2010.
Old 01-15-10, 09:09 AM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am puzzled too. All I got was two key fobs, both with detachable keys with my 2010 RX. People are talking about a 'smart card'. What is that? And a valet key? Have not seen one either.

Maybe this (locking your key inside) does not apply to everyone, because apparently people are getting different things with the same car. Atleast in my situation, basically, my keys were in the armrest/console at night (garage parked). Kids (remote) started car using wife's fob. Obviously, they pressed lock key three times to start the car. I could not even open the car by touching the door handle, even though the remove was right in the middle of the car.

Of course, the logic is - if you can lock the car with another remote, you can unlock it with the same one. And thats why, technically, its not a flaw. There is no other way you can lock your keys inside. Not even by touching the door handle. In my case, however, the other remote went away with my wife. Just my luck.

Please educate me about the smart card and the valet keys. Thanks.
Old 01-15-10, 10:42 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
Please educate me about the smart card and the valet keys. Thanks.
The valet key is your fob key. You can detach it from the holder. You then give the key to the valet while keeping that portion that attaches it to your key chain. That holder part is L-shape and is also a spare key.

I was told there is no longer a wallet key for the 2010. This is a key the size of a credit card. There is a picture in the 2010 manual but they say it's no longer available.

The smart key is your fob key. This is called 'smart' because there is a chip in there that does smart things.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 01-15-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-15-10, 12:23 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks LeoDLion for the clarification. We recently used valet, but I gave the whole key chain to the attendant. I know that the fob comes off from the metal key, it never occurred to me that it can be used as valet key. That is because it does not have a ring attached to it. Normally, they attach a card to your key ring for tracking and that would not be possible with the stand alone fob. Also, I thought it would be very easy for the attendant to drop it or lose it.

Anyway, I now know that its perfectly OK to give the little fob to the attendant. Thanks.
Old 01-15-10, 12:23 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Prior to 2010, the chip in the key had to be in the immediate vicinity of the ignition (an inch or two) in order for the engine to start. The "Key card" was a thick plastic card with a chip in it and a lightweight plain key with no buttons or transponders. It could open the door and will turn the ignition if the card is held next to it.
The new keys are sensed by the car from a distance, and unlock the doors and allow the start button to operate even if the key is in your pocket or purse. For these, there is no lightweight key available, as far as I know and hiding one on the car would not seem to work as keeping it on the car itself would unlock the doors and allow the start button to operate.
I don't know what you are supposed to do to have an equivalent of the "hide-a-key," and I wonder what owners of such cars are doing today, if anything.
Perhaps there is a switchable lightweight key for such a purpose, but I have not heard of it. Of course, not having such a car, I have not looked into it.
Old 01-15-10, 12:52 PM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

I have the smart card, it is about the thickness of 4 creditcards, and yes there is a removable metal "key" inside should the battery ever fail. In Canada it comes with the two regular keyfobs in premium package 2 and above models. I keep it in my pocket and it works just like the keyfob, grab handle (unlock), push start. Get out, touck nib, lock. Saves me the hassle of keys on nights when I dress up and dont want bulk in my pockets. It does not need to be held at all in the vicinty of the pushstart button (unless the battery failed).
Old 01-15-10, 12:57 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dr_p
I have the smart card, it is about the thickness of 4 creditcards, and yes there is a removable metal "key" inside should the battery ever fail. In Canada it comes with the two regular keyfobs in premium package 2 and above models. I keep it in my pocket and it works just like the keyfob, grab handle (unlock), push start. Get out, touck nib, lock. Saves me the hassle of keys on nights when I dress up and dont want bulk in my pockets. It does not need to be held at all in the vicinty of the pushstart button (unless the battery failed).
My 2010 did not come with the credit car key either. Can these be purchased? If so, how much are they? Why did some people get these included with their 2010 purchase and others not? My dealer told me that none of their 2010's come with them...
Old 01-15-10, 01:06 PM
dr_p
Driver School Candidate

Only the higher package models come with it. Is yours an all wheel drive model? I know they can be purchased because it is about $500 to replace a smart card key.
Old 01-15-10, 04:58 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the 2010 RX manual:
Attached Thumbnails Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)-2010-rx-keys.jpg  
Old 01-16-10, 09:30 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smart key system on the 2010 RX350 is designed so that there is no need to resort to risky tricks like "hide-a-key". You really have to work very hard at it to get locked out of the car.

The scenario described on this thread is quite exceptional, with many "failures" in the system (so to speak):
  • Keys left inside the car
  • Used second keys to remote start
  • Second keys no longer available

This could be easily prevented by just following the common-sense practice of never leaving the keys inside the car, which all car owners should follow. This will also take care of the issue of waking up to find your car is gone because a thief broke into your garage and drove away. Who would blame the thief. It is easier than stealing candy from a baby.

Last edited by ajs; 01-16-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-16-10, 12:17 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krypttic
My 2010 did not come with the credit car key either. Can these be purchased? If so, how much are they? Why did some people get these included with their 2010 purchase and others not? My dealer told me that none of their 2010's come with them...
I just got the two fob keys with purchase as well.

My husband really wanted the smart card, so I ordered it from the dealer. It was $260, PLUS $50 to program it.

And it STILL didn't come with the detachable inner key for that price. When my DH got it, he called the senior service manager to ask why it was missing, and she said that that was an another $65 or so.

Unreal.

Sandi
Old 01-17-10, 05:43 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by siestaguy
I like your strategy and will I do that too. so where so you hide your key?
In the old days with mechanical keys, I used to drill a hole in it and mount it behind the license plate.
Old 01-17-10, 05:49 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Originally Posted by ajs
The smart key system on the 2010 RX350 is designed so that there is no need to resort to risky tricks like "hide-a-key". You really have to work very hard at it to get locked out of the car.

The scenario described on this thread is quite exceptional, with many "failures" in the system (so to speak):
  • Keys left inside the car
  • Used second keys to remote start
  • Second keys no longer available

This could be easily prevented by just following the common-sense practice of never leaving the keys inside the car, which all car owners should follow. This will also take care of the issue of waking up to find your car is gone because a thief broke into your garage and drove away. Who would blame the thief. It is easier than stealing candy from a baby.
My concern is not locking the key inside, but losing it at an inopportune moment (such as after a backpacking trip). I have considered taking the battery out of the second key provided with the car, and stashing that key somewhere. Then perhaps, I could break the small front side window, reach inside/unlock the door, and retrieve the hidden second key.
Old 01-18-10, 05:49 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Plan B should not include breaking a window; find a better hiding place outside the glass perimeter.
Old 01-18-10, 05:33 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Originally Posted by tfischer
Plan B should not include breaking a window; find a better hiding place outside the glass perimeter.
Of course, I'd prefer not to break a window, except in extreme emergency. Have only had the car for a month, so I'm still looking for ways to defeat some of the "features". Haven't found a good place to stash a key that is about the size of the top half of my cellfone.

Quick Reply: Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)