RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CARFAX report concerns....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 12:45 PM
RC1818
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CARFAX report concerns....

Jumping back on CL afta a 'lil hiatus it's good to see the site hasn't changed in 10yrs it's informative as always.... Curious tho for the sake of resale value since I like to change my own oil at the requested 5/10K miles interval does that mean it won't get picked up by the CARFAX report?

Reason for asking been shopping used vs. CPO and noticed some have no upkeep records despite having clean CARFAX report so just made me wary since it seems only way for a vehicle to have a proper history is by going direct to dealer for ALL services... Blaaaah?!!??
Old 01-08-14, 12:47 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Just keep your receipts for proof and warranty.

CarFax is far from fool proof.
Old 01-08-14, 01:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RC1818
Jumping back on CL afta a 'lil hiatus it's good to see the site hasn't changed in 10yrs it's informative as always.... Curious tho for the sake of resale value since I like to change my own oil at the requested 5/10K miles interval does that mean it won't get picked up by the CARFAX report?

Reason for asking been shopping used vs. CPO and noticed some have no upkeep records despite having clean CARFAX report so just made me wary since it seems only way for a vehicle to have a proper history is by going direct to dealer for ALL services... Blaaaah?!!??
If you have registered your vehicle on the Lexus web site you can add your own service items to the the records for the vehicle.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 01-08-14, 01:55 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

To me, a "proper service history" should be defined as having documented evidence of service being performed at proper intervals, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with CarFax. I mostly buy used, low-mileage vehicles because I don't want the horrific depreciation in the first few years. When I check out a vehicle, I usually ask for service records, but just as usually don't get anything. Americans are notoriously terrible at keeping records on anything, so that's not too surprising. Plus, most dealers destroy any records they find or are given for a vehicle--at least that's what dealers do around here.

If I can get a VIN, I will always do some online research independently of what a dealer may show me. Sometimes I get some info from the manufacture sponsored "owner's link/site", sometimes not. What's more important to me is the condition of the vehicle.

Lastly, CarFax can only report what is reported to them, so if you have your oil & filters changed at Jiffy Lube (or where ever), that data will never show up on CarFax, just as an accident will never show up on CarFax as long as insurance companies are never involved. Unfortunately, CarFax DOES report even the most minor accident if a police report has been filed. So the vehicle carries around a tarnished history forever for a minor dent in the bumper. To me, there's something wrong with that. Of course, I like knowing if a vehicle has ever been totaled or given a salvage title. CarFax is truly part good & part bad IMHO.
Old 01-08-14, 03:24 PM
RC1818
Rookie

thx for the prompt & good advice guys....

RickC5, thats how i feel my sentiments exactly, after about 2months re/searching for the perfect '10 CPO/regular used with low mileage which is how i came about this CARFAX conclusion when i couldn't really determine which to get i finally pulled the trigger on a '13 which just came into dealership last week with all proper maintenance records on file and get this -since its still under the 4yr/50K factory warranty no need for CPO everything is still covered- kudos to the team @Prestige Lexus!!
Old 01-08-14, 05:43 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you have registered your vehicle on the Lexus web site you can add your own service items to the the records for the vehicle.

Thanks RX330inFL, I just registered.
Old 01-08-14, 06:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Thanks RX330inFL, I just registered.
No problem. There is a good deal of information there from potential recalls for your vehicle, if there are any, to the service history. Did you see how you could add your own service items?
Old 01-08-14, 06:23 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Did you see how you could add your own service items?
Yep, I rotated my tires and change my own oil and registered the mileage and dates on both.
Old 01-09-14, 06:44 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I like having somewhere to add my service records in addition to those performed by Lexus, but I have a major gripe with the system provided by Lexus: If you can't find something from the drop-down list that matches what you wish to enter, all you can do is pick "miscellaneous" and carry-on. Not a very accurate history.

Toyota's similar site not only allows the owner to add a precise description of what has been done to the vehicle, it also allows the owner to actually see a very detailed breakdown of what has been done at the dealer: all you need to do is click on the service item and this complete description pops up. Very helpful to the new owner who wants an accurate view of his new vehicle's service history, like new battery, or wiper blades, or brake pads, etc. I wish the Lexus system had these two "extras" as they add a lot of value.

It's as if the two systems were developed by two different software engineers, or at least developed according to two very different sets of requirements. Odd.

Also strange that service performed on a Lexus at a Toyota dealer does NOT get added/entered into the Lexus system. We have to drive over 250 miles to the nearest Lexus dealer, so lots of local Lexus owners have periodic servicing done at our local Toyota dealer. This means we have to enter these service entries manually to the Lexus system as an owner-performed service, yet the Toyota dealer swears that service performed at their shop qualifies as Lexus service (?). Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Last edited by RickC5; 01-09-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 07:37 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
I like having somewhere to add my service records in addition to those performed by Lexus, but I have a major gripe with the system provided by Lexus: If you can't find something from the drop-down list that matches what you wish to enter, all you can do is pick "miscellaneous" and carry-on. Not a very accurate history.

Toyota's similar site not only allows the owner to add a precise description of what has been done to the vehicle, it also allows the owner to actually see a very detailed breakdown of what has been done at the dealer: all you need to do is click on the service item and this complete description pops up. Very helpful to the new owner who wants an accurate view of his new vehicle's service history, like new battery, or wiper blades, or brake pads, etc. I wish the Lexus system had these two "extras" as they add a lot of value.

It's as if the two systems were developed by two different software engineers, or at least developed according to two very different sets of requirements. Odd.

Also strange that service performed on a Lexus at a Toyota dealer does NOT get added/entered into the Lexus system. We have to drive over 250 miles to the nearest Lexus dealer, so lots of local Lexus owners have periodic servicing done at our local Toyota dealer. This means we have to enter these service entries manually to the Lexus system as an owner-performed service, yet the Toyota dealer swears that service performed at their shop qualifies as Lexus service (?). Dumb, dumb, dumb.
I just traded in my 08 RX on a 14 RX350Fsport and the dealer pulled a CarFax and it listed every service we had done at our local Toyota dealer, which was almost all of them, every 5K as well as the few we had at the dealer.
Old 01-09-14, 07:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

On my own RX300, which I bought used, CarFax didn't indicate an accident that had occurred with it, but another service had shown the accident, autocheck.