RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Windshield Washer Fluid Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 09:39 AM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fluid Not Working

I'm in Maryland and during my drive to work today, I was using my windshield washer fluid with no issue, then nothing came out anymore. It is 21 degrees here, but I thought the RX350s have heaters in them? I also didn't see any kind of LOW fluid warning light either. I have a 2011 RX350. Does anyone know if there is a LOW Fluid warning light or if there are heaters for the nozzles? This is ridiculous because I can't see to drive with all this snow and salt on the ground kicking up on the windshield. I pulled up to a stoplight, and the fellow next to me in his Ford Fusion was squirting fluid on his windshield with no problem. Come on, Lexus!
Old 01-03-14, 09:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The nozzles might be blocked so you may want to check for snow or ice buildup. The heater you're referring to is for the wiper blades. Good luck.
Old 01-03-14, 10:06 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Yep, no heaters for the windshield washer nozzles. Check to see if they are blocked with ice.

Also do you have good washer fluid, if not it will freeze. I am betting on blocked nozzles at 21 degrees.

Do not know how you people can do it as it is 39 degrees in Jacksonville FL and we are not feeling very "sunny"!
Old 01-03-14, 10:15 AM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So I checked the nozzles, and they were just wet, no ice. If I am out of fluid does anyone know if there is a warning indicator? The fluid was from the dealer. The wiper blades are heated? For real?

Last edited by huntergts; 01-03-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 10:43 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergts
So I check the nozzles and they were just wet, no ice. If I am out of fluid does anyone know if there is a warning indicator? The fluid was from the dealer. The wiper blades are heated? For real?
I think it is the same heater that warms the door handles and luggage rack. The taillight heaters
are on a separate circuit;;I think it is 6A in your fusebox!
Old 01-03-14, 10:47 AM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dctex99
I think it is the same heater that warms the door handles and luggage rack. The taillight heaters
are on a separate circuit;;I think it is 6A in your fusebox!
So what all is exactly heated on the RX's? Where is this information listed?
Old 01-03-14, 10:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think the wipers are heated. I know, on Subarus, there's a separate heating element at the bottom of the windshield just for that. It is clearly visible. Also, not sure about the low fluid warning. I haven't gotten low yet. Never had it on any Toyotas I owned in the past.
Old 01-03-14, 11:02 AM
wase4711
Rookie

did you bother to check if you fluid is full or not?
Old 01-03-14, 11:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, there is an alert when you run out. I emptied it a few weeks ago to put in winter friendly washer fluid. Took forever too. Make sure you buy two gallons, one to put in and the other to refill as needed. I'd take a toothbrush to the nozzle to ensure it's clear especially if you got snow like I did. The other thing is to check under the hood to see if any of the tubing is kinked or disconnected.

Lexus came out with the cold weather package about a year ago that has a windshield wiper deicer to heat up the area where they lay on the windshield. I know it's available on the GS, I don't see it listed for the RX. The windshield defroster works fine for me.

Greg, you don't know what you're missing. It's 9 degrees with the sun shining on the newly fallen snow. About 6", or maybe 8". The wind is blowing it around. It's absolutely beautiful
Old 01-03-14, 11:04 AM
wase4711
Rookie

the HIGH temperature for Chicago Monday is going to be 10 below...

take that, Florida..
Old 01-03-14, 11:05 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

You need to put some -32F washer/ anti freeze in the washer tank. The +32F stuff will freeze up and then, well you know what happens. If it isn't frozen siphon out the old and get the low temp -32F stuff in there.
Old 01-03-14, 11:38 AM
huntergts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wase4711
did you bother to check if you fluid is full or not?
Lexus doesn't like its customers to open their hoods which is why they cover everything.

Since it is confirmed there is a low level warning thanks to the previous posts, I'll assume the nozzles are not heated (and why the hell not???) and the fluid put in there by the dealer must not be able to handle this cold. Since I was parked in a garage this morning I assume it was fine, but once I started driving and using the fluid they must have frozen somewhere in the lines or who knows. I have an appointment at the dealer for this Monday to replace the rear squeaking struts, so I"ll have them check the washers as well.
Old 01-03-14, 11:45 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry folks, 70 and sunny here today. We could use the snow in the mountains. They are starting to use the d word.
Old 01-03-14, 11:51 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by huntergts
Lexus doesn't like its customers to open their hoods which is why they cover everything.

Since it is confirmed there is a low level warning thanks to the previous posts, I'll assume the nozzles are not heated (and why the hell not???) and the fluid put in there by the dealer must not be able to handle this cold. Since I was parked in a garage this morning I assume it was fine, but once I started driving and using the fluid they must have frozen somewhere in the lines or who knows. I have an appointment at the dealer for this Monday to replace the rear squeaking struts, so I"ll have them check the washers as well.
I'm sure this is not your first car, but the best winter driving tip is to always run your defrosters for awhile before using your window washers in the winter...I've learned my lesson the hard way many times...
Old 01-03-14, 11:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Y

Greg, you don't know what you're missing. It's 9 degrees with the sun shining on the newly fallen snow. About 6", or maybe 8". The wind is blowing it around. It's absolutely beautiful
Anita,

Afraid I DO know as I got family is WIldrose WIsc and love to ride the snow machines! Does everyone know alot of these people drive, at night, from one bar to another! LOL! We had a great time! Way too much horsepower in these monsters.

I do love the snow, but just for a little while. Tonight we will go below freezing but the large wood stove will keep the house nice and toasty!

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Fluid Not Working