RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX350 First Oil Change Interval

Old 12-27-13, 09:20 PM
brianb883
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 RX350 First Oil Change Interval

After reading the manual I learned the first oil change on my 2014 RX350 is scheduled at 10,000 miles. I know it's synthetic and newer engines these days don't require much of a break-in period however doesnt this seem a bit long for the first oil change?

I'm thinking of either doing one at 5,000 miles myself or requesting it be done at the 5,000 mile check up.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 12-27-13, 10:02 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, brianb883.

The first oil change is at 12 months or 10K miles, and is a free service as is the 5K service for a general inspection and systems checks. How many miles do you think you will be putting on your RX each month?

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...350_WSG_lr.pdf

Here is some more reading for you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...k-service.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...il-change.html
Old 12-27-13, 10:51 PM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

The lady at the service desk has booked my 5K appointment for oil and filter change on 1/2/14. I guess there is no harm getting the oil and filter changed at 5K though numerous posts in this forum say that 5K is just an inspection appointment. I have a 2013 RX350
Old 12-27-13, 11:29 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Just got my 14 RX yesterday and they told me every 5k for service.
Old 12-28-13, 12:43 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Just got my 14 RX yesterday and they told me every 5k for service.
Every 5K for service IS NOT change oil every 5K.
Tire rotation is every 5K along with visual inspections and fluid check.

Follow the owner's manual.
0W-20 every 10K miles/ 12 months ( although you can go as far as 15 months)
Old 12-28-13, 06:37 AM
brianb883
Driver School Candidate

I understand that I am not "supposed" to schedule an oil change until 10k, but who here really wants their new $45,000 car driving a year on the original factory oil? Synthetic or not that does not seem like a great thing. I am not doubting tat Lexus knows their engines however they are in the business of selling new cars....
Old 12-28-13, 09:30 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brianb883
I understand that I am not "supposed" to schedule an oil change until 10k, but who here really wants their new $45,000 car driving a year on the original factory oil? Synthetic or not that does not seem like a great thing. I am not doubting tat Lexus knows their engines however they are in the business of selling new cars....
Today's engines are much easier on oil than those in the past. Cylinder walls are lined and smooth. Tolerances are much tighter. There are also less contaminants getting into the oil as blow-by. Add advances in oil technology and result is the oil is lasting much longer. The 10K oil change interval is becoming more and more common and is the norm over in Europe.

I noticed that you did not answer the question I put to you -- how many miles do you think you are going to put on your RX each month? Remember it is 12 months or 10K miles. I put less than 300 miles a month on my RX these days and therefore do not even put 5K on it each year. So, my oil changes are yearly. If you put a lot of miles on your RX I might go with a change at 5K. However, if you do not then I would recommend you look at that oil change at the time interval.

Now please remember that Lexus still has a 5K service interval. Used for rotating tires, etc. All in the Service Guide. If you want and if you need to save some cash or time you can pop into your local Toyota dealership and their Toyota Express Lube and get an oil change and the tires rotated in under 30 minutes. Cabin filters, key fob batteries and other items can also be done by yourself.
Old 12-28-13, 09:40 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

These intervals where based after tons of research by engineers.
Evidence on the road, you can see a lot of the 1st generation RX with > 100,000 miles for sure.
Youcan't say the same for a BMW X5. ( which we previously own)

At the end of the day, it's your car. You can do whatever you like to give you that peace of mind.
You can always go to Jiffy Lube, i believe they'll gladly take your money and change oil every 3000 miles.
Old 12-28-13, 12:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markrivers
You can always go to Jiffy Lube, i believe they'll gladly take your money and change oil every 3000 miles.
NO!!! Do not even joke about that.
Old 12-28-13, 12:44 PM
Browninggo
Rookie

I heard at "JIFfy lube" they use peanut butter instead of oil. There reasoning is it sticks to the components a whole lot better.....
Old 12-28-13, 04:46 PM
TonyA177
Driver School Candidate

I am old fashioned! I did my first oil change at 1,500 miles and my second at 5,000 miles, then I followed the suggested maintenance schedule. My reason was to get rid of any oil fowling from the break in period which I believe will benefit the car in the long run. This is what I have always done with all of my new cars. I think its a small price to pay for a car I hope to have for a good period of time. I am also an advocate of using synthetic oil. If you have ever taken an engine apart after 100,000 miles you understand why I like synthetic oil.
Old 12-29-13, 03:18 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb Engine Break-in

Everyone knows that an engine will perform better and run more efficiently after a few thousand miles. This is called engine break-in. The break-in process involves the piston rings, cylinder walls, bearings, bearing surfaces, gears, chains, etc. all getting to know one another and developing a relationship that will be strong, smooth, and last for years. The initial oil is instrumental in this mechanical dating process and is commonly referred to as the "break-in" oil. No, it's not a special or different oil as far as I know, but the microscopic particles worn from the brand new parts and floating around is what makes this initial oil special. In my opinion, you are not doing your new engine any favors by depriving it of the break-in process by dumping the break-in oil before it's first manufacturer recommended change interval. The oil filter will do it's job and catch any big particles (metal shavings) and prohibit them from doing any damage while allowing the microscopic goodies to do their job sealing/seating those piston rings to the cylinder walls and mating the bearings and bearing surfaces. Keep in mind that this is merely my own well thought out common sense opinion and your opinion(s) may differ. I'm just saying that I'll be doing the first oil change on my new Lexus at 10,000 miles after the initial oil has had the opportunity to do it's thang. I'm convinced my engine will thank me for it with more power, better fuel economy and a longer life.

StillLine
Old 12-29-13, 08:03 PM
brianb883
Driver School Candidate

I'm guessing this car will get around 10k miles per year to answer the question.

I understand the differences between modern engines and past, as well as the argument for longer intervals. But even though these engines are supposedly broken in from the factory, real-time running conditions that include changes in heat, load among other factors would lead me I believe that changing the first batch of oil within a few thousand miles will lead to a longer life.

I'm a pretty big DIYer and will do it myself, but like has been stated, one extra oil change is cheap insurance. After all, manufacturers design maintenance schedules with the first priority being that the car lasts through it's warranty. Additional longevity I believe is second, and a byproduct of a conscientious owner.
Old 12-30-13, 12:29 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing this car will get around 10k miles per year to answer the question.

I understand the differences between modern engines and past, as well as the argument for longer intervals. But even though these engines are supposedly broken in from the factory, real-time running conditions that include changes in heat, load among other factors would lead me I believe that changing the first batch of oil within a few thousand miles will lead to a longer life.

I'm a pretty big DIYer and will do it myself, but like has been stated, one extra oil change is cheap insurance. After all, manufacturers design maintenance schedules with the first priority being that the car lasts through it's warranty. Additional longevity I believe is second, and a byproduct of a conscientious owner.
I do my own oil changes. Spark plugs, filters etc.
brakes... Maybe in the future

Why don't you go a step ahead the DIY.
SEnd the oil for analysis. Compare the one from 5000, vs 7,500 and 10,000 interval.

I would love to hear about the results.

( i got this crazy idea from the Prius people in another forum).
Old 12-31-13, 10:49 AM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside from the oil change interval concern.... I'm more concern of the trans fluid that last life time of the vehivle, at least this is what Lexus claim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 RX350 First Oil Change Interval