RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 Question - Would you buy another?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 12:52 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For the previous poster complaining about the the noise. get an electric car or at least a plug in.
I can recommend the RAV4 EV or if you can, a Tesla model X.

To answer the OP's question.

YES, ( just upgraded from a 2011) as long as the LEXUS designers don't go crazy with the re-design.
The New Highlander with the ugliest grill i have ever seen is NOT the direction i want the RX to go.
Old 12-28-13, 07:19 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Funny, I was just thinking about the comparison between my 2004 RX330 and my 2014 RX350 this morning.

My direct comparison:

The 14 is much quieter inside the cabin except for some exhaust drone on acceleration.
The 14 rides slightly stiffer but not much. I had stiffer Alenza tires on the 04.
The 14 has more sprightly performance.
The 14 has a better audio system.
The 14 has Siri.
The 14 has good iPhone/iPod integration.

The 14 has poor head restraints, Too close to the back of my head and are not adjustable enough.
The 14 rear headrests block too much of the rear view.
The 14 doesn't have as informative of a INFO NAV display screen.
The 14 mouse interface is kludgy. I miss the touch screen.
The 14 has unimpressive fuel economy. I was expecting some improvements over the 10 years.
The 14 has a space saver spare and yet less storage space under the mat.

The 04 had higher quality leather.
The 04 had much better visibility to the rear.
The 04 had almost no engine/exhaust drone noise.
The 04 had a lighter parchment color leather as opposed to the darker beige color of the 14.
The 04 had a place to store the rear security cover when not needed.
The 04 had a full sized spare mounted on an alloy wheel and still had more storage room than the 14.

When all is said and done, I'd buy the RX again. It is the right size for my needs. It drives and handles better than the other vehicles in it's class that I test drove.
Old 12-28-13, 10:41 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I think many of the differences in this kind of comparison depend on packages and options. My 04 was pretty basic, with just one option package. My 13 moves up the option scale with several packages.

With that said, I haven't seen some of the differences jfelbab refers to. For example, I haven't felt like there was a difference in the quality of the leather. Since I didn't have Nav on the 04 I couldn't compare many of the differences in the electronics.

I do also notice a little exhaust note during heavy acceleration but it isn't obtrusive and goes away under normal driving. They were probably trying to give it a touch of sporty exhaust note?

I suspect the big difference in ride quality depends on size of wheels and brand of tires (except for sport package or F Sport models). All other things being equal, I can't see a huge difference in either ride quality or sound levels, but then I think they are great rigs so there is probably some bias to my thinking.

The 13 model has better pickup, better brakes and better steering and better audio. It is slightly taller too, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your needs.

Anyway, I digress from the primary question which I answered on my previous post. I would absolutely buy an RX again but I would also be interested in exploring a little smaller vehicle next time. I wish the RX had shrunk rather than increased in this generation, but that obviously affects ride quality and noise levels. I think it is a great vehicle with a good balance of price/feature/comfort and is definitely my cup of tea but it won't be for everyone - as you can tell from the responses to this thread. A thorough test drive is a must for any vehicle in this price range to make sure it will live up to your expectations.
Old 12-28-13, 12:35 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, would probably downsize to NX or spend more time checking out what the competition offers.
Old 12-28-13, 12:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Funny, I was just thinking about the comparison between my 2004 RX330 and my 2014 RX350 this morning.
The '04 has a dedicated spot for your sunglasses.
Old 12-28-13, 01:37 PM
rparian636
Driver School Candidate

Default would you buy another 350

That is a definite maybe. I would almost certainly buy a used certified as the car is does depreciate just as much as do most cars. Don't be fooled by a dealer that says it holds its value. There are so many RX's out there that supply and demand drives the price down. Example a new similar equipment 2013 was $53,000 and I found a new condition 2010 with 28,000 miles - certified pre-owned for $36,000. That $17,000 difference can buy you a lot of other things. I did not see enough difference from the 2010 t0 the 2013 to justify the price. The gas mileage on the RX is good but not great. See other posts. The navigation is awful and not worth the premium price. It fact it is the worst factory nav I have owned and with smart phones who needs factory navigation that essentially can not be used if the car is moving. The voice recognition is also terrible as others have said. In fact it is pathetic and I don't use it. The ride and comfort are good, but many cars now have a similar quiet ride. Try the Hyundai Sante Fe, I bought one for my wife and I like it just as much for $20,000 less.
I am also not thrilled with the color options. The grey is too dark, silver is everywhere, white is 95% driven by blonde females (start noticing) and dark red is almost brown and the blue is cheap looking.
In conclusion I would buy another only if the deal was right and certified with low mileage.
Old 12-30-13, 08:05 AM
sarge5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my 2014 RX 350 F-Sport
This is my third RX, I also disagree with the poster who says the car rides bumpy. I would think that most people who are going to spend $50k+ on a vehicle would test drive it first before they made that kind of a purchase, to evaluate if the ride and quality is that of what they expect. That said this is my third Lexus RX and combining the quality and the service that I have received from these vehicles, hands down I think this is a great car for the price. The sales of these RX 350's also show that this is a great car for the price. It will outlast most any vehicle in its car class. I am very happy with my F-Sport, if I were to have anything I would like to say improved would be some more led lighting on the interior, such as door handles and some in the front doors as well.

Last edited by sarge5; 12-30-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 11:06 AM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

My first RX 350 was a 2010 model purchased in 2009. My wife bought out my lease last year and I got a 2013 RX F Sport. My wife just traded the 2010 RX on a 2014 RX 350 just before Thanksgiving. We have had good experiences with the RX needless to say.
Old 12-30-13, 12:57 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Serious question for all drivers that bought the Lexus RX350 in the last 3-4 years:

Would you invest in another RX350?
I personally will consider new MDX. huge improvement over the previous gen and new pricing makes it similar to RX at the moment. Also it finally has 6sp AT and little more room in the rear with softer ride.
Old 12-30-13, 05:32 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev

I personally will consider new MDX. huge improvement over the previous gen and new pricing makes it similar to RX at the moment. Also it finally has 6sp AT and little more room in the rear with softer ride.
I looked at the MDX too. Don't really like the style, looks too much like a minivan to me. Look at it from an angle, you would not think it is an SUV.
Old 12-31-13, 08:28 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I picked up my 2014 RX, I test drove several of the 2012-2014 RXs. At first, I thought the new ones had a rougher and noisier ride than my early 2010 model. I then figured out that the Dunlop tires were the issue. I had Michelins on my 2010.

So I bought one of the 2014s that I had driven that seemed rough and noisy, and had them swap my Michelins from my 2010 RX to the new one. The ride and noise are now terrific.

My advise is before determining the newer RXs are rough and noisy, drive one with some Michelins on it. I was shocked at the difference the tires made.
Old 12-31-13, 12:45 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmccombs
When I picked up my 2014 RX, I test drove several of the 2012-2014 RXs. At first, I thought the new ones had a rougher and noisier ride than my early 2010 model. I then figured out that the Dunlop tires were the issue. I had Michelins on my 2010.

So I bought one of the 2014s that I had driven that seemed rough and noisy, and had them swap my Michelins from my 2010 RX to the new one. The ride and noise are now terrific.

My advise is before determining the newer RXs are rough and noisy, drive one with some Michelins on it. I was shocked at the difference the tires made.
Congrats on your new ride! Yes, tires do make such a difference. Enjoy. Happy 2014!
Old 12-31-13, 09:09 PM
STB63
Driver School Candidate

This is not my first rodeo, but this my first 2011 RX 350 ( Nav, Premium, Comfort, Mark Levinson, Tow Pkg, Roof bars, 19's , intake/exhaust, Made in Japan(bias towards), Starfire Pearl/Lt Grey: I have had other luxury brands but strongly feel that their are some annoyances as previously mentioned, overall its a terrific vehicle. Granted, I dont expect a TON out of it ( like I would say a Benz GL or X5 or Range Rover) but thats not what its about for me. It is supportively comfortable, fairly/mostly quiet, and gets reasonable gas mileage given its heft and drag co-efficient, and its has a decent sound system ( I say decent but not great given the money). I use it mostly for short interurban interstate travel and city travel. And Ive been on a couple of 800 mile trips. I have not had ONE SINGLE issue with this vehicle with respect to function or anything beyond standard maintenance. It performs and behaves superbly. I have a disability and this vehicle works around/with it quite well in all areas. Yes, Im waiting for the '15 NX to see if I will keep this one (16,xxx miles on it so far since delivery 9/11.) or fall for the NX? Too soon to tell. But I like this '11 RX WAY better than my Acura, BenzML, or LandRover......all had warranty and maintenance issues from early on. Lexus is still rated as one of the most reliable brand, if not the most by many leading consumer publications. That does it for me.

Last edited by STB63; 12-31-13 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 12-31-13, 09:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Although we are enjoying the '13 RX F-Sport, I would not buy a new one of the same 3rd generation, as I have my eye on the upcoming '15 NX.

Just to clarify a few points...

The '15 NX is on the top of the list because I enjoy owning the newest model and we don't mind something a tad smaller sized like the first Gen RX. So to be clear, nothing against the 3rd-gen RX and in fact, if the NX is too small (smaller than the Rav4 for which it will be based) like a Buick Encore (God-forbid) or if the styling is way off the edgy/chiseled concept version (which we absolutely love), we will likely keep the RX another year and wait for the anticipated redesigned '16. Risk is it may be even larger and move to the Highlander's 7-passenger platform this time around to further distinguish itself from the NX and better compete against the MDX, X5 (now 7-passenger avail), JX, etc.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-31-13 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 10:05 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Just to clarify a few points...

The '15 NX is on the top of the list because I enjoy owning the newest model and we don't mind something a tad smaller sized like the first Gen RX. So to be clear, nothing against the 3rd-gen RX and in fact, if the NX is too small (smaller than the Rav4 for which it will be based) like a Buick Encore (God-forbid) or if the styling is way off the edgy/chiseled concept version (which we absolutely love), we will likely keep the RX another year and wait for the anticipated redesigned '16. Risk is it may be even larger and move to the Highlander's 7-passenger platform this time around to further distinguish itself from the NX and better compete against the MDX, X5 (now 7-passenger avail), JX, etc.
Looks like the changes they re a comin'. One way or another I will keep my eye out as well. I do not like the overly chisled NX leaked photos. I hope it is smoother. Likely I will keep mine until my tires need replacing again, then look around.

Quick Reply: RX 350 Question - Would you buy another?