RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 Question - Would you buy another?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 05:09 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
So did you test drive before you purchased? Hill assist will engage when you push hard while stopped, you RX doesn't know if you are on a hill it is your foot input that triggers it. Need more than 60 volume, wow. The floor fan doesn't control warmth it only pushes the warm air out, have it looked at while still under warranty, maybe your mix door is broken. This is my 3rd RX and all have gotten the mileage stated or better, could be a driving style issue.
Yes, test drove before I purchased. Not sure why hill assist believes I'm on a hill when on level ground. Does not seem like a "hill" to me. ok, I'll ask about the Mix Door. Good tip! My driving style is very passive and not aggressive at all.
Old 01-06-14, 05:13 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Originally Posted by wase4711
1. maybe you are driving too aggressively; some folks get better, some get worse
2. I could never listen to mark Levinson that loud; maybe u have slight hearing loss from listening to music too loud in the past?
3. No fan of Dunlop here either
4.Maybe your tires are too hard; try letting a few lbs out and see if that helps
5.Music meta data is iffy on almost all cars
6. call Lexus Zone office and ask them if that is normal; I don't see that on my 2014 rx
7. rear seat heaters would be a nice luxury option; your fan motor may be defective if the floor fan isn't warm enough, or your heater core could be defective. How old is your antifreeze/thermostat?
8. What garage door operates on 433MHZ?
9. Android Rules!!(Sorry IPhone owners)
1) My driving style is very passive and not aggressive at all.
2) No, not hearing loss, just want it louder.
3) agree, Yokohama is my fav
4) Inflated to Lexus door panel psi.
5) Stinks
6) Yes, not sure why hill assist believes I'm on a hill when on level ground. Does not seem like a "hill" to me.
7) Its 2 years old
8) LiftMaster http://www.remoteopen.com/Liftmaster...-p/41a5235.htm
Old 01-06-14, 10:46 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmanRX350
Yes, test drove before I purchased. Not sure why hill assist believes I'm on a hill when on level ground. Does not seem like a "hill" to me. ok, I'll ask about the Mix Door. Good tip! My driving style is very passive and not aggressive at all.
The hill assist doesn't care if you are on a hill or not it is just that you pressed extra hard on the brake. My brand new 14 RX350 Fsport did it in the garage when my wife was adjusting the seat for the first time and really pushed hard on the brake.
Old 01-07-14, 07:22 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

We just got 2014 RX 350 in 9424a model - not F sport, $49K msrp for $41700.
Pretty good deal.

Other cars I have are older ES330 Lexus, 997 Porsche and wife`s Accord.
So, it is quite a thing to compare. Those who complain about stiffer ride of 2014 - handling is much better in my opinion compared to 2011 and 2012 same RX model we test drove. Less 'boaty' feel and better steering. Ride is imho cushy enough for my taste.

Mileage could have been better for sure. I somehow still sit in 16 mpg average and I do not drive it overly aggressive. But it eats regular gas so it is a bit less of an issue. Mouse control is intuitive enough not to have big problems with, I like it.

Voice control is plain bad. Only command you can use reliably is 'go home'. Thing I do not like at all is that when you get into voice mode of entering destination you cannot override input with mouse control, or may be I did not figure out yet how to do it, it is plain annoying. If you get any noise outside or kids screaming - voice system is useless.

Navigation map is OK. I never use that screen for anything else anyway and to see map of current location is all I typically need. Still I catch myself using google maps almost every time when I need actual navigation as to enter an address or to deal with 'nearest attractions' menu is beyond my patience. Google finds it right away.
And that reminds me I need to find a better solution on how to mount iPhone in this car as just dropping it into center cupholders area on a cord is not optimal.

Bluetooth integration drains iPhone battery like I have never seen it in any other vehicle. No clue what have they done but it is weird. Solution is not too difficult as they have USB port and with cord in you simply plug it in on long drive and it works this way fine. Otherwise after 40min drive when you enter with 65% chaged phone you exit with %15 charge left. Plain crazy. No idea what does it do and why.

I like how they did configuration to open all doors when you touch handle, how seat moves back and forward automatically after startup. Do not like that standard heated/ventilated seats package for some idiotic reason does not include heated steering wheel. it is totally retarded considering that wheel is mostly plastic and at 10 deg freeze outside it is colder than ice.

Center console could have more storage and it is odd that they eliminated upper sunglasses holder to place in this 'SOS' button circuitry instead. I would love to know if one can dismount this SOS button assembly and put back in standard sunglasses holder.

Other than that we got what we expected. Solid nice vehicle, not perfect but good enough to like it.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-07-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 12:21 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ i believe the steering wheel is mostly wood and a little leather.
Im referrring to the portion you touch the most.

As for the center console, have you discovered the trap door already?
It goes deep. Deep enough to put like 10 ipads (9.7 screen) and have room for other stuff
Old 01-08-14, 02:04 PM
dadprice3
Driver School Candidate

This has been an interesting thread. Thanks for the entertainment.
The questions "would you buy another" is a good one.

We owned a 2008 RX and had good experience with it. Traded it in for a 2013 Acura RDX - looking for better gas mileage. We got the better mileage, but it came with some new model bugs that drove me crazy - i.e. we'd get a warning light that the gas cap was loose. You'd check it and find it is tight. The warning light came back a couple more times then the system defaulted to a fuel system failure engine light. The Acura dealer is a 150 miles away, so the trips up to address the problem became unreasonable and their response was to just tighten the cap more clicks. As such that was not well received for a high end vehicle.
So, we traded in the Acura and took home a 2014 RX. It was great to have one back in the garage. The car feels more solid and the fit and finish is excellent and I find the ride quiet and generally smooth. So, the answer is a "Yes". We'd buy another.
Old 01-09-14, 08:44 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

If I consider another RX, I will look into hybrid model more seriously. I currently own 2013 RX350 AWD. I love everything except the ride is not as smooth as I like. I got a 450H loaner last weekend and found it has few positive things over regular 350.

1) Smoother ride due to heavier batteries/electric motors. Very noticeable difference. I believe Lexus uses same suspension parts on both models, but they just neglect the lighter weight RX350's ride quality.. disappointed.
2) ~7 better mpg in mixed driving.
3) Display tire pressure of each individual tires.. (My 08 Acura TSX has that.. dunno why 13 RX350 doesn't have it.)
4) Eco/Sport driving mode gadgets and instrument light changes to blue on eco mode and red in sport mode.

As a family cruiser, I found the CVT in H model is not bad at all.

Fit and finish wise, I think Lexus does much better job than those Honda/Acura made in US/Canada.. I have been driving Honda/Acura for the past 23 years. My made-in-US 98 Accord and 02 TL-s are just a rattle box and dealer couldn't fix it. My RX is made in Canada and so far I found one ticking/rattle in driver-side b-pillar and I think dealer has fixed it last week (I will post more info about this in cabin rattle thread once I confirm the problem is resolved after few more days of driving/testing.)
Old 01-09-14, 10:46 AM
wase4711
Rookie

the hybrids are nice, but, unless you drive allot, you'll never realize the savings on fuel.
in my 2014, I don't see the tire pressure anywhere; what screen do you see that in, or do you need NAV to get that menu?
My 2014 says made in Japan; is that normal for the 2014?
Old 01-09-14, 11:41 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Is yours a RX350? If so, you won't see tire pressure reading, but just a low tire pressure warning light if tire pressure goes low. If yours is H, you can press a 'info' button on the right side of the steering wheel that shows mpg-after-refuelling, avg mpg, cruising range etc etc.

There are still RX350 made-in-Japan being shipped to US. My colleague's 13' RX350 was made in Japan too.

Originally Posted by wase4711
the hybrids are nice, but, unless you drive allot, you'll never realize the savings on fuel.
in my 2014, I don't see the tire pressure anywhere; what screen do you see that in, or do you need NAV to get that menu?
My 2014 says made in Japan; is that normal for the 2014?
Old 01-09-14, 12:09 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

I just upgraded from a 2005 rx330 to a 2011 CPO rx350. My son will use this car at college next year when he moves off campus. I generally liked the 2005 rx but always thought that the brakes were terrible, almost dangerous. My take on the newer rx is that it is a pretty competitive package compared to all of the competition in a luxury mid size SUV. All of the products in this category have their issues, too big, too small, too expensive, too ugly, etc. The rx has its issues as well. My complaints would be:1) the ride over rough roads could definitely be more refined, too much of a stiff thud as opposed to absorbing the shock. I do have the 19 inch rims but even with those there is more than enough rubber to not be hard. 2) I don't find the seats all that comfortable, shouldn't be the case at all in a Lexus. 3) The stock stereo has very little true bass. I added an after market powered Rockford Fosgate subwoofer which helps a lot. 4) The information on the satellite radio screen is completely inadequate considering what could be there. For example, you have to change to a different screen to see the artist and song. Silly!!. My wife's 2011 MDX is a generally better driver but bigger and horrible gas mileage. Overall, given that this is the 3rd generation, I feel that this should be a much better product than it is. This should have evolved way more in many dimensions. I would have gladly paid a few thousand dollars more for the next level up in Lexus quality and interior materials. As to the original question, would I buy another? I have only had the 2011 for about 2 months now. I don't think I would buy a new one for the reasons mentioned, I would wait for generation 4 and hope Lexus knocks it out of the park.. The CPO 2011 I bought with 32,000 miles for $32,000 with $10,000 trade on my 2005, was compelling value versus spending a little less on a loaded Honda CRV!! That's my story and i"m sticking to it!!! Regards. Ned.

Last edited by ngerstman; 01-09-14 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 12:41 PM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by wilchan
Is yours a RX350? If so, you won't see tire pressure reading, but just a low tire pressure warning light if tire pressure goes low. If yours is H, you can press a 'info' button on the right side of the steering wheel that shows mpg-after-refuelling, avg mpg, cruising range etc etc.

There are still RX350 made-in-Japan being shipped to US. My colleague's 13' RX350 was made in Japan too.
yea, mine is an RX; I had a 08 400h, and the setup was different from this one..
I would have liked to see the actual tire pressures, but a low air warning is better than nothing; problem with that is that which tire is actually low when the light comes on?
Wonder if the made in japan models are any better or worse than the Canadian ones?
Old 01-10-14, 11:30 AM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree only with point #7

7) better heating system --> because it takes a long time to get hot air and get up to a consistent temperature. And I am in California SF Bay Area that has mild winters!!!

For me, the lack of triptronic manual gear shifting was a disappointment as it is available in many non-luxury cars that cost a lot less. However, to answer the original query, I decided it was not a show stopper to not buy the car.

Originally Posted by ngerstman
3) The stock stereo has very little true bass. I added an after market powered Rockford Fosgate subwoofer which helps a lot.Regards. Ned.
Totally agree with that and I have the 12-speaker so-called "premium" audio package - I think my 2002 Dodge Caravan has better sounding stock speakers. Is fixing the subwoofer a DIY job? I assume it is placed in the trunk somewhere and so will chew up space.

Last edited by elba123; 01-11-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-10-14, 11:40 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by elba123
I agree only with point #7

7) better heating system --> because it takes a long time to get hot air and get up to a consistent temperature. And I am in California SF Bay Area that has mild winters!!!

For me, the lack of triptronic manual gear shifting was a disappointment as it is available in many non-luxury cars that cost a lot less. However, to answer the original query, I decided it was not a show stopper to not buy the car.

Totally agree with that and I have the 12-speaker so-called "premium" audio package - I think my stock 2002 Dodge Caravan has better sounding speakers. Is fixing the subwoofer a DIY job? I assume it is placed in the trunk somewhere and so will chew up space.
I purchased a 10 inch Rockford Fosgate powered woofer. It is pretty compact at only 9 inches deep at base and 18 inches wide and 6 inches wide at top. Cost $180 on Amazon. I paid an install shop $100 to hook it up, run power to it. It gets the signal off the speaker terminals to the cargo area subwoofer on the rear driver side. It sits up against the back seat firing back. It can be unhooked if need be but for 99% of the time, doesn't get in the way at all. A cheap and non intrusive way to improve the stereo significantly. You do have to spend some time on getting it adjusted right. Most people and installers turn them up way to high. If it is too noticable, it is most likely too loud!! Regards. Ned.
Old 01-13-14, 03:23 AM
zmanRX350
Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
The hill assist doesn't care if you are on a hill or not it is just that you pressed extra hard on the brake. My brand new 14 RX350 Fsport did it in the garage when my wife was adjusting the seat for the first time and really pushed hard on the brake.
then they should not label as "hill assist" if it doesn't care. maybe label as 'excessive braking assist"?
Old 01-13-14, 07:49 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmanRX350
then they should not label as "hill assist" if it doesn't care. maybe label as 'excessive braking assist"?
Whatever.!!

Quick Reply: RX 350 Question - Would you buy another?