RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear wheel rotor rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 07:42 AM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel rotor rust

As anyone else experienced complete rust covering both the rear wheel rotors on a 2010 RX350? That really makes the car look like *****. Any suggestions for remedying that short of full rotor replacement?
Old 12-25-13, 08:06 AM
mshumack
Driver

I don't have 2010, but I can tell you that the amount of dust (with all other things being equal) is generally attributed the brake pad material. Are you using factory (OEM) pads?
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...tion-material/
Old 12-25-13, 01:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mshumack
I don't have 2010, but I can tell you that the amount of dust (with all other things being equal) is generally attributed the brake pad material. Are you using factory (OEM) pads?
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...tion-material/
Has nothing to do with the brake pads. This is all about the rotor surfaces rusting when sitting for a day or so. Whether it is the salt on the roads during the winters up north or just heat and humidity down in the south, I am in agreement with the OP that this looks terrible. Bad enough when the edges of the rotors rust along with the brake caliper itself.

Hopefully, the rust is somewhat cleaned off after the first or second application of the brakes on your RX, tabcourt. If not, you may have a problem with the brake adjusters on the rear.

They do make brake rotors which will not rust due to their composition and production treatments. Perhaps you could look into those next time you need brakes if you plan to hold on to your RX for an extended period of time.
Old 12-25-13, 03:12 PM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Has nothing to do with the brake pads. e.
Huh? It has a lot to do with the pads. But the rotors contribute too.

http://www.tirerack.com/FAQ/results.jsp?category=Brakes
What causes brake dust?

Brake pad compounds are produced by compressing multiple components utilizing high pressures and heat to form the pad shape. These components can include carbon, steel wool, copper fibers, aramid (Kevlar) fibers, along with ceramic and/or petroleum hydrocarbon adhesives/binders.

As the pads get hot, the heat and friction cause the metallic particles in the dust to statically charge as they are worn off the pad surface and that’s what makes them stick to the surface of the wheels and other parts of the vehicle. The petroleum hydrocarbon binders also break down releasing an oily, greasy film that clings to the wheels and other components of the car. This is typically more noticeable on the front wheels since the front brakes normally do a higher percentage of the work compared to the rear.

The brake rotors are produced from cast iron. As they wear down, the iron particles wearing off of the rotor and drum surfaces also tend to statically charge and stick on surfaces. In extreme conditions, the hot iron particles can imbed and fuse in the clear coat surface of the wheels. When exposed to moisture, these iron particles will oxidize and the result is rust stains on the wheel surface.

Last edited by mshumack; 12-25-13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-25-13, 03:17 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Huh? It has everything to do with the pads.
No, all daily driver factory rotors are made from cast iron. They just rust.

Higher quality ones will offer them dipped in a zinc bath, but it will only protect the hat portion of the rotor from corroding, not the friction surfaces.
Old 12-25-13, 04:10 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Move to western Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, or southern California.

No rusty rotors here!
Old 12-25-13, 04:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Or get the 450h, less brake dust Rust usually happens when I clean the rims with Sonax. But it goes away after driving. It doesn't bother me as much since the rims do a good job covering up the rotors. Plus the rust doesn't last.
Old 12-25-13, 06:37 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabcourt
As anyone else experienced complete rust covering both the rear wheel rotors on a 2010 RX350? That really makes the car look like *****. Any suggestions for remedying that short of full rotor replacement?
Are you talking about rust on the rotor face or part of the rotor that mounts over the wheel hub?
Old 12-25-13, 09:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The brake rotors are produced from cast iron. As they wear down, the iron particles wearing off of the rotor and drum surfaces also tend to statically charge and stick on surfaces. In extreme conditions, the hot iron particles can imbed and fuse in the clear coat surface of the wheels. When exposed to moisture, these iron particles will oxidize and the result is rust stains on the wheel surface.
As stated in your own post...

I have seen new vehicles sitting on lots and at the docks (Jacksonville, Baltimore, etc.) waiting for delivery with rusted rotors, especially along the outer edge.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 12-26-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 04:55 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
Move to western Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, or southern California.

No rusty rotors here!
I'm not sure I've seen a rust-free rotor on a Lexus RX, please post a picture.

Must be the water I'm using when I wash the RX.

Thanks,
Old 12-26-13, 05:50 AM
mshumack
Driver

As stated in your own post...

I have seen new vehicles sitting on lots and at the docks (Jacksonville, Baltimore, etc.) waiting for delivery with rusted rotors, especially along the outer edge.
I thought the OP was asking about rotor/brake "dust" (not rust). I guess I'm getting too old and seeing things now - I need to read more carefully before I reply. sorry.
Old 12-26-13, 06:12 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen them at Sewell Dallas too. This is definitely a problem, but if it's "normal" then I guess it's just that the 3rd gen RX shows it way more than other cars. I've read other posts where the wheels get stuck and have to be forced to move due to the rust (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...010rx450h.html).
Old 12-26-13, 02:54 PM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

Ok here is a pic of a different rx I saw parked a few spaces away from mine. It is subjected to the same "road salt" conditions that mine is subjected to. Look ma, no rust!
Attached Thumbnails Rear wheel rotor rust-image-4128616314.jpg  
Old 12-26-13, 02:55 PM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

And I am talking about the entire exterior of the rotor. Those on other cars appear black and mine are bright rusty brown.
Old 12-26-13, 03:21 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

thats just the rotor hats, wherever yours came from..they didnt get the zinc treatment.
If you're that concerned about the cosmetics, get a wire cup drill attachment and clean up the rotor hat, mask off the friction surface and paint the hat with hi-temp spray paint.

IMO, its pointless to get new rotors unless they are either warped or below minimum thickness.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel rotor rust