RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear wheel rotor rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 03:36 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I'm not sure I've seen a rust-free rotor on a Lexus RX, please post a picture.

Must be the water I'm using when I wash the RX.
Sure, no problemo. Two of the rear, one of the front--the bottom/lower one. No rust on the braking surfaces. BTW- the rotor "hats" on our truck appear to be black (?), but I can't tell for sure. If someone has rusty hats, just remove the wheels, clean the hats & spray them with a high-heat engine or exhaust paint. Anyway, mine look OK to me.
Attached Thumbnails Rear wheel rotor rust-hpim4320.jpg   Rear wheel rotor rust-hpim4321.jpg   Rear wheel rotor rust-hpim4322.jpg  
Old 12-27-13, 04:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So when you wash your car, let it sit for say an hour or two without moving it and you take the same picture, there is no rust? The face, wear surface, of mine will be rusted, until I drive it and apply the brakes. Then the face will shine where the pads grind off the rust.

Occasionally, after washing, the car will rust in place and not move when put in gear. Gently rocking back and forth will break it loose.
Old 12-27-13, 05:19 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DunWkg
So when you wash your car, let it sit for say an hour or two without moving it and you take the same picture, there is no rust? The face, wear surface, of mine will be rusted, until I drive it and apply the brakes. Then the face will shine where the pads grind off the rust.

Occasionally, after washing, the car will rust in place and not move when put in gear. Gently rocking back and forth will break it loose.
Really? That sucks. I usually use an automated car wash in town & the car doesn't sit afterward. Never tried what you described & can't say that I am curious enough to try it.

Don't forget, bare cast iron rusts pretty quickly if wet, and that has nothing to do with Lexus.

Last edited by RickC5; 12-27-13 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 07:00 AM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the hat guys, the hat. The pad does not contact the hat.
Old 12-27-13, 07:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tabcourt
It's the hat guys, the hat. The pad does not contact the hat.
As suggested, take the wheels off, clean off the rust, apply high heat enamel paint. No more rust and looks purdy.
Old 12-27-13, 07:27 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
As suggested, take the wheels off, clean off the rust, apply high heat enamel paint. No more rust and looks purdy.
BTW- I forgot to mention earlier that our 2010 RX is a real early one and was built in Japan rather than Canada, which may explain why our "hats" are NOT rusty.
Old 12-27-13, 08:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

OP, are the hats on your rotors painted or not? Have the rotors been replaced with non-OEM units?
I thought Lexus started using painted rotors in early 2000s. Pics?
Old 12-27-13, 07:10 PM
felix168
Rookie

rust on brake disc? happens to all my cars...
Old 12-27-13, 07:40 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by felix168
rust on brake disc? happens to all my cars...
Certain things simply can't be simply explained. No sense losing sleep over this one.
Old 12-28-13, 08:58 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by RickC5
Certain things simply can't be simply explained. No sense losing sleep over this one.
exactly
Old 12-29-13, 10:00 AM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

Okay now step two: I am not capable of doing the job myself. Do you think a Lexus dealer will do the job for $300? I have a credit for that amount and would not like to have to go out of pocket for it. I can travel to dealers in New York / NJ area.
Old 12-29-13, 11:29 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tabcourt
Okay now step two: I am not capable of doing the job myself. Do you think a Lexus dealer will do the job for $300? I have a credit for that amount and would not like to have to go out of pocket for it. I can travel to dealers in New York / NJ area.
Well now, that's a very interesting question. If you COULD do it yourself, the cost would $7-10 for a can of spray paint, another few bucks for a roll of masking tape, and a few bucks for a wire brush. All told, less than $20. Plus, you could paint the rotor hats any color you wanted to and even paint the calipers a contrasting color.

So, I could see the body shop at a Lexus dealer maybe taking this job on, but not the usual mechanics, although most mechanics will do anything to keep busy. It would likely be on an hourly basis, not a flat rate. Fiqure two hours at what, $80-100 per hour? Why two hours? Heck you have to wait for the paint to dry! Ha, ha.

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to ask, but if they decline, ask for a recommendation for a good body shop that will do the work. I'm sure someone out would like to make a few bucks on an easy job. I'm going to guess that a body shop would charge waaaay less than a Lexus dealer, but it's your money!

Also possible that someone might be willing to do this on their own time, to earn a few bucks where the dealer doesn't take most of it first. Maybe Craig's List?

Last edited by RickC5; 12-29-13 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-29-13, 12:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

If the rust bothers you that much, then I'd suggest getting in touch with Phil at Detailer's Domain in northern New Jersey. He previewed a product here called Hyde's Serum Rustopper in this thread. You can buy and apply it yourself or he could probably do it for you. As far as the cost, it basically comes down to how much it bothers you. The dealer will be expensive. You're better off talking to a detailer like Phil.
Old 01-04-14, 03:44 AM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

Just occurred to me that I never posted a pic of my rusty hats. Here's one:
Attached Thumbnails Rear wheel rotor rust-image-4100687966.jpg  
Old 01-04-14, 03:49 AM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

Do you think I could find a dealer who can do this job for 300 bucks? It would really bother me to have to pay anything out of my own pocket for what is evidently faulty parts which were improperly zinc coated.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel rotor rust