RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

hiding licence plate number

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 04:47 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you can easily track someone by the license plate, get their info and what if theres a criminal on a forums, gets your plates, makes a fake ones, info and there you go, stolen identity, can do a drive by and then "your" car fled the scene.
Old 11-26-13, 05:22 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
you can easily track someone by the license plate, get their info and what if theres a criminal on a forums, gets your plates, makes a fake ones, info and there you go, stolen identity, can do a drive by and then "your" car fled the scene.
Sure; and one of the FBI's most wanted is living next door to me too....
Old 11-26-13, 06:23 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
Agreed. With your license plate I have your VIN as well as your address. With your VIN I can get a key or fob. With all the above I can trail you to work or shopping and take what I want when I want.

Originally Posted by dctex99
Sure; and one of the FBI's most wanted is living next door to me too....
While this all may sound like a bit of doom and gloom from the paranoids in the crowd, just look at how Whitey Bulger was able to hide out in plain view for all those years in Santa Monica. Do you really think you know your neighbors?
Old 11-26-13, 06:35 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i used to be as carefree as most members are.
But recent experience made me think otherwise.
here's my "story" with A license plate number.

Nov 18, 2013 1:30pm

I was in front of a Judge at Beverly Hills Superior Court for a " RED light Camera" ticket
from my previous plate ( 2011 RX 350). New owner beat the red light, and guess who the DMV sent the citation. ME!

Counting the hours i have spent.
1. to line up at the clerk's office to set a court date ( back in July 2013). i wasted 3 hours.
I showed the clerk my evidence… but still i need to appear/ show the judge in person for the case to be dismissed.
2. lined up at the DMV for some paperworks ( approx 2.5 hours)
3. Court date ( 2-3 hours)

and i have to take 3 personal days OFF ( non-consecutive) just to take care of this citation.

In the end. i did everything RIGHT. release of liability was signed once the RX was traded.
It was DMVs fault for still sending the citation to my address.
BUT STILL, i have to go all these trouble to clear my name.

Yurka has a valid point too.
Old 11-26-13, 07:24 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
New owner beat the red light, and guess who the DMV sent the citation. ME!
We have personalized plates on both our cars and take them with us when we get a new vehicle. The $50.00 bucks a year is looking better all the time. :-)
Old 11-26-13, 10:00 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom558
We have personalized plates on both our cars and take them with us when we get a new vehicle. The $50.00 bucks a year is looking better all the time. :-)
I have them written down, I will see you on Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-13, 06:03 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
I have them written down, I will see you on Thanksgiving!
We will have lots of food, come on over. I look forward to meeting a fellow CL member.
Old 11-27-13, 10:28 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This reminds me of a good friend who refuses to use his credit card to make purchases over the internet for fear it will be compromised but has no problem turning it over to a complete stranger to pay his restaurant check.
Old 11-27-13, 11:18 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TomT127
This reminds me of a good friend who refuses to use his credit card to make purchases over the internet for fear it will be compromised but has no problem turning it over to a complete stranger to pay his restaurant check.
Good example, and think of how many bank, mortgage companies, stores, credit unions, and I could go on and on, have mediocre employees with total access to our SS numbers! Yes, a big
secret that is.........
Old 11-27-13, 04:26 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Agreed. With your license plate I have your VIN as well as your address. With your VIN I can get a key or fob. With all the above I can trail you to work or shopping and take what I want when I want

While this all may sound like a bit of doom and gloom from the paranoids in the crowd, just look at how Whitey Bulger was able to hide out in plain view for all those years in Santa Monica. Do you really think you know your neighbors?
That's exactly the point I'm making, anyone in the general public can see your plate # so why
the secrecy on Forums, Societies getting to paranoid imho.
Old 11-28-13, 03:10 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad both of our Lexi's are in the garage! I agree block out the plates,tags or whatever you call it where you live.
Old 11-28-13, 04:01 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

I am going to take my plates off every night and put them in my safe...better ""safe" than sorry!
Old 11-28-13, 04:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

"I'll take Paranoid Americans for 200$ Alex"

Old 11-29-13, 08:08 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sometimes I photoshop out the plates, 'cuz they ruin the flow and look of the front bumper.
Old 11-29-13, 08:50 AM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomT127
Sorry, going to deviate from the thread for a moment but it's a hard lesson learned. My son and I were in Portland, OR, part bz part vacation. He hands waitress his Wells Fargo debit card, pays bill, card is returned, and we leave. Later that day we are shopping and his card was being rejected, pin would not work. After a call to the bank, we figure out "his card" was not his card but someone else's. The waitress returned the wrong card to him, it looked the same, and he put it in his wallet and we left. Do you always check the name on the card when it is returned? I do now!

Quick Reply: hiding licence plate number