RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Guidelines on Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 05:57 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apart from missing the camera missing the guidelines it is not placed in the center of the back but put on the right side of the suv so when you back up you still have to look back or you end up driving off center and hitting something. I just looked at the new Infinity JX and it is impressive maybe next year will switch out of the RX as I am not happy with the build quality.
Old 08-03-12, 11:52 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guideline is annoying.
Old 08-04-12, 02:20 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have guidelines in my Subaru Outback; miss them when driving the RX ... oh yeah ... the RX cost almost twice as much. Disappointing.
Old 08-04-12, 03:34 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the back up camera is for spotting objects behind you. Such as a child or pet.

I think the only two models with the guide lines are the LX and GS. The new 2013 ES might have them, Ill check today.

Chances are they will all have them in 2014.

Last edited by NoLFA4U; 08-04-12 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-04-12, 04:21 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the guidelines on my 2007 Audi A6 and love them. When I had neck problems the moving lines made it possible to paralllel park without looking out the back. The camera is also centered and protected from rain. Another nice feature, for me at least, with the Audi aystem is that the camera stays on for about 10 seconds after you move the car from reverse to drive. That makes pulling into our garage easy. With the RX I have to pull in and then back up again to get the camera on.

These all fall under annoyances. I would not let them be deal breakers if I were looking to replace the RX. With luck, when it is time to turn it over Lexus will have evolved more.
Old 08-04-12, 06:47 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
IMO the back up camera is for spotting objects behind you. Such as a child or pet.

I think the only two models with the guide lines are the LX and GS. The new 2013 ES might have them, Ill check today.

Chances are they will all have them in 2014.

There's no way in today's "High rear end" cars and restricted rear vision SUV's, that the driver can adequately see what's behind the vehicle when backing up. That includes kids, pets and road obstructions. While it is not necessary to have guidelines on the nav screen to successfully maneuver around objects, the guidelines make it a lot easier and do confirm your planned path is safe. Why not allow the guidelines to be turned on or off like many other selectable items.
Old 08-04-12, 10:34 AM
RxRPh
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I haven't been in a position where I felt I needed guidelines on the screen and frankly find the ones on my wife's Sienna are a bit annoying, IMO.

I suppose I would expect a 2013 'luxury' SUV to offer the option to either turn guidelines on or off via the vehicle settings screen. I'd also like the option of having the camera on the whole time or to activate it on the fly so I can read the lips of the driver behind me when I'm driving in maximum mpg mode.
Old 08-04-12, 12:26 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If Lexus adds them to all models, being able to the guidelines off would be nice. Like the tilt down mirrors, which I rarely use, turn them off.

Bob, I was in an A6 last night. Youre right, great backup camera and with guidelines!!
Old 08-04-12, 06:01 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Quatro,
Would you expound on the "build quality" issues you are referring to? I've never owned an Infiniti so I can't comment on build quality with the upscale Nissan line..

For me, I don't need the extra room afforded by the JX (it is HUGE) and although not "gaga" over the third gen RX styling, I certainly prefer it over the Infiniti.
Old 08-04-12, 08:30 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Originally Posted by BobBass
Quatro,
Would you expound on the "build quality" issues you are referring to? I've never owned an Infiniti so I can't comment on build quality with the upscale Nissan line..

For me, I don't need the extra room afforded by the JX (it is HUGE) and although not "gaga" over the third gen RX styling, I certainly prefer it over the Infiniti.
I had an 08 Rx 350 that was a gem, trade it in for a 2010 RX and I am appalled at the lower build quality of this car over the previous gen, everything squeaks and rattles in the back, I never had that problem in the 08, there are rust problems on the nuts on the roof cross arms, there is rust on the top nuts of the tailgate door, radio is crazy turns on cycle stations, etc. Center console have to be smacked with the elbow to slide it forward. Yeah the car rides much better than the previous gen but the quality is subpar and it takes away from the daily enjoyment. I owned Audi and an Infiniti, and the Infiniti had 80k miles and never heard a rattle or a peep inside the cabin.
Old 08-05-12, 10:07 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quatro40
I had an 08 Rx 350 that was a gem, trade it in for a 2010 RX and I am appalled at the lower build quality of this car over the previous gen, everything squeaks and rattles in the back, I never had that problem in the 08, there are rust problems on the nuts on the roof cross arms, there is rust on the top nuts of the tailgate door, radio is crazy turns on cycle stations, etc. Center console have to be smacked with the elbow to slide it forward. Yeah the car rides much better than the previous gen but the quality is subpar and it takes away from the daily enjoyment. I owned Audi and an Infiniti, and the Infiniti had 80k miles and never heard a rattle or a peep inside the cabin.
yeah, my 2012 has rattles and squeaks as well and my 2001 GS was quiet with much higher build quality..this will probably be my last lexus..
Old 08-06-12, 03:25 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Knocking on wood as I say this, this is my second third-generation RX and I haven't had the squeaks and rattles others have had difficulties. Although I did have some body separation issues on the '10 due to failed or improperly installed clips/fasteners.
Old 11-22-13, 05:24 AM
mshumack
Driver

Default Does the Backup Camera show "guidelines"

All of the backup camera systems I have seen (which are in Chevys) have superimposed guidelines on the camera view to help align the vehicle into the proper spot between the parking lot markings. I road tested a 2014 RX350 with Nav system (with backup camera) the other day and it did not have these guidelines. It just showed a nice rear view picture but offered no assistanace in aiming or aligning the vehicle when backing into the parking spot.

Is it just possible the guidelines were turned off in the Nav menu somehow?

On the other brand cars, the guidelines actaully curve as the sterring wheel is turned -so you can use those line to perfectly back into a space.

It would be a big oversight IMO if Lexus didn't build this guideance feature into their backup system.
Old 11-22-13, 05:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd call it an oversight.
Old 11-22-13, 05:47 AM
Poisson
Driver

They've always had the guidelines here in Australia, and they do curve when you turn the wheel. Is it just the States that are missing out?

By the way I tested a BMW X3 - the guidelines on that one are superb. Better even than Lexus. Shame about the jittery ride.

Quick Reply: Guidelines on Reverse Camera