RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 03:59 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I guess it depends on how you define "truck" and you'd feel differently if you actually own a real truck (like DunWkg said, something with a truck bed and truck cab).

The RX is not a truck, it's not even based on a truck. It's based on the Camry platform, which it shares with the ES, Avalon, Venza, Sienna, and Highlander (which is also not a truck).
We also own a Lexus ES350 and a Toyota Tacoma, so I actually know what a truck is (if defined as having a cab and a separate bed), and I also know what a Lexus sedan is. In my book, the RX isn't a good fit into either category, but given its attributes of AWD and high(er) ground clearance, and combined with its MUCH stiffer ride than a sedan, its more like a truck to me, regardless of its Toyota siblings.

Also, given that other Lexus models with an X in the model name are definitely truck-based (LX570, LX470, GX460, GX470), why would Lexus use an X in the RX model name if they didn't consider it to be some sort of truck?

Yeah, it's a truck.....
Old 11-09-13, 04:41 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickC5
We also own a Lexus ES350 and a Toyota Tacoma, so I actually know what a truck is (if defined as having a cab and a separate bed), and I also know what a Lexus sedan is. In my book, the RX isn't a good fit into either category, but given its attributes of AWD and high(er) ground clearance, and combined with its MUCH stiffer ride than a sedan, its more like a truck to me, regardless of its Toyota siblings.

Also, given that other Lexus models with an X in the model name are definitely truck-based (LX570, LX470, GX460, GX470), why would Lexus use an X in the RX model name if they didn't consider it to be some sort of truck?

Yeah, it's a truck.....
Exactly! It is in its own category... its an SUV.

Having higher ground clearance and stiffer ride is not a qualifier for a truck. The Toyota Venza has higher ground clearance (8.1 inches vs 7.3 inches in RX) and rides stiffer than the RX - Venza is certainly no truck; it's a Camry station wagon.

The GX and LX are truck based, but unless there's documentation that the "X" letter defines a truck, I'm more inclined to believe that Lexus uses it as a letter to denote the vehicle is an SUV. Take example the new Lexus NX, a "compact crossover" and certainly no truck.

If Lexus makes a luxury Tundra and call it TX 570, then I'll stand corrected.
Old 11-10-13, 09:05 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

OK, enough already.

Given that Lexus has never bothered to clarify in writing precisely what they consider the RX to be, and it really matters little to me, you can consider the RX to be an SUV, a station wagon, or a fugitive shuttle craft from the Starship Enterprise. Whatever.

I'll just continue to consider it a truck and we'll both be happy & content.

All's right with the world. Kum-ba-ya and all that stuff.
Old 11-10-13, 05:18 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ever drive GX or LX you'll find it's pretty hard to call RX a truck. RX is a unibody crossover vehicle and there is quite a difference between RX and body-on-frame GX and LX with solid rear axles.
Old 11-10-13, 09:01 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The RX350 is considered a truck at Autozone. On their computer it was classified as a truck when they were trying to get me a battery cuz my battery died.
Old 11-10-13, 09:29 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb Trucky!

OK, enough already.

Given that Lexus has never bothered to clarify in writing precisely what they consider the RX to be, and it really matters little to me, you can consider the RX to be an SUV, a station wagon, or a fugitive shuttle craft from the Starship Enterprise. Whatever.

I'll just continue to consider it a truck and we'll both be happy & content.

All's right with the world. Kum-ba-ya and all that stuff.
+1

Originally Posted by Sevn86
The RX350 is considered a truck at Autozone. On their computer it was classified as a truck when they were trying to get me a battery cuz my battery died.
Well, there you go. Finally, the experts at Autozone have definitively answered this burning question. The RX is a truck.
Old 11-11-13, 06:14 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing Autozone has gotten right yet!!
Old 11-11-13, 07:14 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quadro
If you ever drive GX or LX you'll find it's pretty hard to call RX a truck. RX is a unibody crossover vehicle and there is quite a difference between RX and body-on-frame GX and LX with solid rear axles.
We just traded in--last week--our 2008 GX470 (see my avatar) on the "new" 2010 RX we now own, so after 2 years with the GX, and a long road trip in the RX already, I feel reasonably well-qualified to discuss the differences.

IMHO, while the RX is slightly more relaxing to drive on the freeway (due to a lower center-of gravity & independent suspension), the GX was much quieter--less road/wind noise--with a noticeably smoother ride (bigger, less stiff tires & adjustable suspension).

Handling in the RX is slightly better, due to the stiffer suspension. Less lean in the tight turns.

The sound system in the GX was much better (yeah, a Mark Levinson) and the AC fan much quieter.

The RX has more leg room and heated/COOLED seats (not offered on the old GX). The RX steering wheel feels slightly smaller (diameter) to both of us, which improves steering feel a bit. Visual displays in the RX are a vast improvement over the GX and much easier to use, although there are some odd quirks.

We both like the covered cargo area in the RX. Not available in the GX if you have the 3rd row seats. Cargo-carrying ability isn't dramatically different, but you can stack stuff a bit higher in the GX.

Access to accessory plugs for things like phone chargers and radar detectors was MUCH better in the GX. Almost as if Lexus was determined to keep us from having our beloved electronic junk in the RX.

Lastly, the GX was a totally outstanding off-road vehicle, and except for the limited ground clearance due to the stupid side steps, was a better off-roader than our Tacoma 4x4. Just too nice a vehicle to abuse like that though. Loved having the low-range transfer case too.

Our RX will never get off-pavement--except maybe a few dirt/gravel roads (already drove on one last Friday)--it's simply not equipped to go off-roading. But, the RX still seems much more truck-like than car-like to us--not a negative--and we like that.

Should we want to drive to Las Vegas (500+ miles one-way) or Denver, or Salt Lake, and snow isn't in the forecast, we will surely take our ES350 rather than the RX as it's a much more comfortable road car for long drives. But we'll take the RX if it might snow. That's the primary reason we have it--winter driving conditions.

Now, I must repeat: All of the above is just my opinion of some of the differences in the two vehicles, and you may or may not agree. After all, opinions are just like a$$es--we all have them.

Long live Autozone!!! HA!

Last edited by RickC5; 11-11-13 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 08:51 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawnD
First thing Autozone has gotten right yet!!
Autozone also lists the Toyota Sienna as a "truck"

Their system seems to be limited to two categories of either car or truck. Your vehicle is a classified as a truck if its anything other than a car.... just pointing out a fact

Last edited by 07LexusGuy; 11-11-13 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 09:30 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought the difference between a SUV (I always disliked that term. Most "SUVs" have NOTHING to do with sport beyond the ability to carry sports equipment) and a crossover, was the platform. SUVs are historically built on truck platforms (body on frame), while Crossovers are built on car like platforms (Unibody?). SUVs often have truck suspensions, like the Suburban/Tahoe, which helps with towing capacity, while crossovers generally have independent suspensions for a smoother and softer ride. I'm pretty sure the RX is body on frame, although it does have an independent suspension. This means it's closer to a truck, than a car. Anyone else have a similar understanding?
Old 11-11-13, 10:28 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Autozone also lists the Toyota Sienna as a "truck"

Their system seems to be limited to two categories of either car or truck. Your vehicle is a classified as a truck if its anything other than a car.... just pointing out a fact
I also classify anything other than a car as a truck.
Old 11-11-13, 10:38 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I thought the difference between a SUV (I always disliked that term. Most "SUVs" have NOTHING to do with sport beyond the ability to carry sports equipment) and a crossover, was the platform. SUVs are historically built on truck platforms (body on frame), while Crossovers are built on car like platforms (Unibody?). SUVs often have truck suspensions, like the Suburban/Tahoe, which helps with towing capacity, while crossovers generally have independent suspensions for a smoother and softer ride. I'm pretty sure the RX is body on frame, although it does have an independent suspension. This means it's closer to a truck, than a car. Anyone else have a similar understanding?
Sorry, but as Quadro pointed out earlier, the RX is a unibody with front & rear subframes (I just looked under ours with a flashlight to be sure).

So where does this leave us? Seems to me that we can call the RX anything we want, and in some manner, we can find something to substantiate our choice, even if it's just Autozone. The main reason I like to classify the RX as a truck is that it drives & rides much more like our old GX470 than like our ES 350 sedan. But again, that's just how I see it.
Old 11-11-13, 10:55 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think this thread has ended up being pretty funny. As is almost always the case around here, there are lots of opinions.

IMO, folks can call what they own anything they want -- car, truck, SUV, CUV, or some pet name they so desire. There are as many different technical explanations for categorization of a vehicle I suspect as their are companies, government agencies, and people with opinions. Me, well, for those that have not read this whole thread, I'll stick with what I said back in post #2. Since Toyota/Lexus as the mfgr of my RX consistently categorizes their vehicle one way in press releases, and for their own financial and government reporting, well, I'll just stick to that. They build and sell it, they get to decide. Everyone else, well, what you want to call your RX is A-OK by me as well.

Now, back to the discussion and justifications!
Old 11-11-13, 02:25 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BertL
I think this thread has ended up being pretty funny. As is almost always the case around here, there are lots of opinions.

IMO, folks can call what they own anything they want -- car, truck, SUV, CUV, or some pet name they so desire. There are as many different technical explanations for categorization of a vehicle I suspect as their are companies, government agencies, and people with opinions. Me, well, for those that have not read this whole thread, I'll stick with what I said back in post #2. Since Toyota/Lexus as the mfgr of my RX consistently categorizes their vehicle one way in press releases, and for their own financial and government reporting, well, I'll just stick to that. They build and sell it, they get to decide. Everyone else, well, what you want to call your RX is A-OK by me as well.

Now, back to the discussion and justifications!
How about calling the RX a ****? Super Luxurious Utility Truck.

Although it may then be confused with that other famous ****--Salt Lake, UT.

Maybe I oughta quit while I'm not too deep in the you-know-what.

Dang, I got filtered by the mods--well, I think you guys can figure out the acronym.
Old 11-12-13, 06:47 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We just traded in--last week--our 2008 GX470 (see my avatar) on the "new" 2010 RX we now own, so after 2 years with the GX, and a long road trip in the RX already, I feel reasonably well-qualified to discuss the differences.
Great stuff! Ultimately I think owners should call their cars what makes them happy!

However, let me clarify what I meant when bringing GX/LX into the picture.

1. GX/LX use a truck engine. 3.5L in RX is the same stuff they use in Camry, Avalon, Sienna and so on. No truck in the Toyota/Lexus line up uses 3.5L 2GR-FE engine.
2. Body-on-frame design, of course.
3. RX is EPS while GX/LX use hydraulic power steering common for trucks.
4. Last but not least GX/LX are based on Prado/Land Cruiser which are work horse trucks in other parts of the world. While Lexus makes them nice, underneath they are the same tough-built beasts with proven track record under toughest conditions all other the world. Because of that they use much heavier duty components.

I would mention other stuff such as full-time AWD and Torsen LSD but it's not directly relevant to trucks but makes a big difference in inclement weather conditions. I would never trade part-time AWD for couple more MPG but I live in Canada and we get lots of snow sometimes. As you can see - RX might be under the same section because it's an LUV but it's built nothing alike GX/LX and this why I have an opinion that it's hard to call it a truck.

Quick Reply: Truck?