RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 11:46 AM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof

My car was parked inside the garage earlier today. When I entered it, I saw the moonroof was open and so were all the 4 windows.

I had last used the vehicle about 30 minutes before that when I had switched the start button into ON mode to use "Destination Assist" to get some directions for use later today. The engine was not started. I also have the window-lock button switched on all the time as my son keeps playing with the windows.

Did I accidentally trigger some sort of open-all button? Or is this some software bug? Has anyone else encountered anything like this? The car is a 2013 RX350 AWD with about 2,000 miles on it.
Old 10-26-13, 11:50 AM
capcap
Rookie

Pressing and holding the UNLOCK button on the remote will do this. Maybe you did so by accident?
Old 10-26-13, 11:57 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by capcap
Pressing and holding the UNLOCK button on the remote will do this. Maybe you did so by accident?
Yep, and the key held in the lock position will close them all.
Old 10-26-13, 12:11 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

where's your key FOB?
how tight are your pants? Seriously!
i wear slim pants, accidentally pushing a button is very common ( i carry 2 key FOBs all the time) since i have to move the wife's car everyday.

and as capcap has mentioned HOLDing the unlock button for more than 2 seconds will do that.
Old 10-26-13, 04:35 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A family friend did this on his LS 460 a while back after parking his car and going in to a restaurant for dinner. One problem... he lives in Florida and it was pouring rain. He has since had Lexus disable this feature but it's doubtful the car will ever be the same with that much water inside.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-27-13, 06:38 AM
kakashi123
Driver School Candidate

Default Windows and moon roof opened by themselves

Hello:

New Lexus owner here. My model is actually 2014 RX350.

Just bought the car home. I believe I pressed the lock button on the remote control once last night after parking it. This morning all windows are rolled up and the moon roof is open by 2 inches too!!!!

My key flop has been on the counter (no chance of accidentally pressing it at all).

That really worries me, as I plan on parking it on the driveway only.
Does anybody have any updates or definitively answer on this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-13, 07:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kakashi123, where it the second key fob? Either remote can enable this feature. The auto window/moonroof open with the remote is the default setting on the '14 according to the customization settings section of the manual. Take a look at page 845. The dealer will have to turn it off for you. In 10 years I've only had it happen to me once. Insert and turn the key from the fob to the left to close everything.
Old 10-27-13, 07:50 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kakashi123
Hello:

New Lexus owner here. My model is actually 2014 RX350.

Just bought the car home. I believe I pressed the lock button on the remote control once last night after parking it. This morning all windows are rolled up and the moon roof is open by 2 inches too!!!!

My key flop has been on the counter (no chance of accidentally pressing it at all).

That really worries me, as I plan on parking it on the driveway only.
Does anybody have any updates or definitively answer on this issue?

Thanks in advance!
We also have the 2014 RX350 and have never had the windows and sunroof open without deliberately opening them.

It takes a long press of the unlock button on the fob to start the opening. As soon as you release the button everything stops.

Try locking by touching the sensor on the drivers door handle rather than using the fob. We have the side mirrors move in as a visual indication the car is locked.

We are still learning but enjoying our new RX.
Old 10-27-13, 06:15 PM
kakashi123
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the quick response Anita and Tom!

It is really strange. We do have two fobs. My wife has the other one. She keeps it in her purse. I guess it is entirely possible that the "unlock" button was somehow pressed in her purse. I hope that was the case rather than some other unknown reasons.

I may ask the dealer to disable it. Do you know if I can have another Lexus dealer do it? (We bought it from a dealer 40 minutes away because they offered better prices.)

I know there is no easy way to close all windows and moon roof from the outside.

Anita - by "Insert and turn the key from the fob to the left to close everything", do you mean taking the actual metal key from the fob and insert it on the door's key hole (I assume there is one) and turn left?

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-13, 06:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kakashi123, my remote was in my pocketbook when it happened so I'd say that was the likely culprit. You're entitled to have any changes made to the personalized settings at no charge during your first service. I'd recommend you wait until then. It doesn't matter which Lexus dealer you take it to. In the meantime read through the settings in case there's anything else you want changed. Otherwise the dealer will charge you in the future.

And you are correct, take the key from the fob, insert it in the driver side door and turn/hold left. And turning/holding to the right will open the windows and moon roof just like pushing/holding the unlock button on the key fob.
Old 10-27-13, 07:03 PM
kakashi123
Driver School Candidate

Got it Anita. Thanks again!
Old 10-28-13, 03:01 PM
rx350drivr
Driver School Candidate

After reading the incident mentioned by ecr72, I personally think it better to disable this function. Opening all door locks at the same time seems useful. But I cannot think of a need to open all windows and moonroof at the same time. After reading the various replies, I also get the feeling that people who have experienced this are not entirely convinced that it was their mistake. I have decided to get this disabled to be on the safe side.

Following Anita's suggestion to get other desired customizations done during the first dealer visit, I was going over the customizations section of the 2013 RX350 manual and have queries on what the following mean:

1. Speed-detecting automatic door lock function (Default : Off) <== There is a separate customization called "Shifting gears to position other than P locks all doors". So then, what is this?
2. Smart door unlocking (Default : Driver's side) <== There is a customization called "Shifting gears to P unlocks all doors". So what is this?
3. Smart access system with push-button start (Default : On) <== What is the 'Smart Access System'?

4. Power back door opening operation using the back door opener button (Default : Off) <== It seems to be ON by default for me. Meaning, the hatch opens when I use the fob or the button inside the vehicle. Why would anyone want it OFF? Perhaps I do not understand what this refers to.
5. Operation when the doors are unlocked (Default : On) <== What is meant by 'Operation'?
6. Exhaust gas sensor sensitivity (Default : standard) <== When should one change this?

7. Driver’s seat movement when exiting the vehicle on some models (Default : Full) <== What is the difference between 'Full' and 'Partial'?
8. Selecting whether the driver’s door or all doors are linked to the power easy access system (Default : Driver’s door) <== What is the 'Power Easy Access system'?

I have not listed all the customizable options. I have only listed those that I did not understand. Thank you for your patience. I know there are too many questions. I thought it better to ask in one shot than keep coming back with more and more.

Last edited by rx350drivr; 10-28-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:13 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rx350drivr
After reading the incident mentioned by ecr72, I personally think it better to disable this function. Opening all door locks at the same time seems useful. But I cannot think of a need to open all windows and moonroof at the same time and more.
Your other questions will need a separate thread.
Anyway, one scenario where having windows down including the moonroof is:

It's 105 F and you parked the RX 350 ( uncovered parking). You don't have remote start.
After 5 hours, it's still 100 F outside ( RX temp will probably be 140 or higher), you have 3 choices.

1. Immediately go inside and put the AC on maximum while rolling the windows down.
- i wouldn't recommend this, unless you love being inside an oven for a few minutes.

2. Do step 1 but instead of waiting in the car, leave the engine and A/C running and step out for. Few minutes.

3. Hold the unlock button and open all windows and moonroof while walking towards the RX
The following users liked this post:
Coach800 (06-04-22)
Old 10-29-13, 06:01 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Co-sign the above. The windows down/up feature is extremely useful. I've used it on my RX and GS more times than I can count.
Old 10-29-13, 06:06 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markrivers
3. Hold the unlock button and open all windows and moonroof while walking towards the RX
This was my thinking. Of course you could wait till you get to the RX and do the same thing with the key but it seems the sooner the car is open the more it is going to cool off.

I think if we ever experienced the windows and moonroof open when we did not deliberately press and hold the remote button I would ask the dealer to disable the feature. Till then it is a feature that is neat to show off.

BTW, our daughter owns the plug in Prius (has yet to read the manual) and I asked her to try the same thing thinking maybe it was a Toyota thing rather than a Lexus thing. It did not work.

Quick Reply: Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof