RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Choosing a CUV (RX, RDX, MDX) with a kid on the way

Old 10-24-13, 03:13 PM
Kyrra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a CUV (RX, RDX, MDX) with a kid on the way

The wife and I have been shopping around a bit for a new car and I am looking for some input from RX owners. We currently own a '97 Camry and '96 Saturn SL2. We haven't had a great desire to buy, but with our first kid due in a few months, I wanted to get something newer and safer. The basic requirements I've been shooting for:
  • We would like to keep the car a long time (10 years or so)
  • We live in Texas, so we've mainly considered FWD cars.
  • Ability to actually haul stuff home when we do trips to stores like Ikea.
  • Room for 2 adults, 2 kid, and a 40 pound dog (if we road trip to visit family). While we only have 1 kid on the way now, we're shooting for a second in the next few years.
  • We don't offroad/camp at all really, so this will mainly be a city/highway car.
  • $50k or less

We've test driven a lot of different cars, but I'd say we're down to: RX350, Acura RDX, Acura MDX, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, or Subaru Forester. We've mainly avoided european cars due to reliability issues.

I understand the price range on their cars are quite different, but I could pocket a good $20k if we got a CR-V or similar over the RX or MDX. The RX has a nice trunk size, which is inbetween the RDX and MDX (which is why I'm considering both of those), but sadly the RX is priced very similarly to the MDX (and the MDX is a larger vehicle with a lot more space). The cheaper CUVs are still in the running as we would care less about it being damaged by the kid.

So my question to RX owners (and those that own similar cars) are:
  • Would you recommend the RX350 to someone with a new kid? (I worry about damage to those back seats from the carseat, food/drinks, etc..).
  • How do you like the RX for road-trips?
  • Anything else about the RX that you like over Acura's RDX and MDX?

Last edited by Kyrra; 10-24-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 04:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I owned a CRV, and prior MDX. Both great vehicles, but for the sake of comparing apples to apples, I'll skip the CRV since it's noisy, underpowered, and unrefined in comparison. I test drove the RDX a year ago and was a nice overall package but it felt like a CRV with a V6 ( in fact, it's based on the CRV) which is not a bad thing, but I was willing to spend more and have a more luxurious ride and interior fit and finish...

I'll cut to the chase as it will boil down to the MDX vs RX. This is my third RX and here's why you should go for the RX:

1. You want to keep it 10 years, hands down the RX is your choice for this sole reason. Not only is it best in class, it is BEST VEHICLE on the market for reliability, period.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...nd/2000009067/

MDX historically has had transmission issues by 100K miles. Search the MDX forums... On mine, one of the gears started slipping at 90K miles.

2. Cheaper on gas - 87 octane vs 91

3. Easier to park, maneuver, and turning circle

4. Lexus panache (Acura lost its "luxury mojo" when the Legend died 15 years ago and they've been struggling since. MDX mainly has kept them alive)

5. Best highway ride and noise/vibration/harshness, though the 14 MDX is up there too.

6. I have 2 kids and no issues with car seats and the like. Very roomy back seat and cargo area for our long vacation and family trips. Very easy ingress/egress. We had a blanket on the bottom to protect the leather from the kids and car seats. MDX back door is 2 inches wider - higher risk for your kids banging a parked car when they open it.

The only reason why I'd get the '14 MDX today is if I needed a longer 7-passenger vehicle, i.e. 3 kids or transporting parents/inlaws often, etc. But then, I'd also be considering the Infiniti QX60 (JX35) which is a little less expensive.

In short, smoking gun for me is you want to keep the car 10 years (troublefree) = RX hands down for you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-24-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Kyrra. A few personal opinions...

Of the vehicles you have listed, I believe the MDX has the most room inside as it is designed to seat more occupants. In that class if you are to purchase a new vehicle I might add the Toyota Highlander and the Nissan Pathfinder. Another to look at is the CX-9 depending on size needs. There is a new CX-9 coming. Perhaps you have already considered these, but I am throwing them out there just in case.

As for the other vehicles you have listed, to include the RX, I am doubtful you would use any of those on a vacation trip as described without some assistance. Four occupants, two adults and two children (small or grown), along with the dog in the back does not leave very much room for luggage and such. Even with very young children you have a great deal of stuff you need to bring along when visiting the parents or in-laws. For such arrangements I would suggest one feature you look for in any vehicle is a towing package (transmission cooler at a minimum) and the ability to tow a small utility trailer. That way you can rent a small trailer from UHaul to put most all the stuff leaving a less crowded vehicle inside.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=UV

Sounds like you are a young couple. Plenty of years ahead of you. If you decide the RX350 is for you then you might consider a used/CPO vehicle where you can still get the extended Lexus Platinum warranty for the long run and save yourself some of the depreciation cost. Personally, I would look for something less expensive now and bank some of that cash. Chances are that a few years down the road you may want to purchase something different and you can scale up or down as family size dictates.

Good luck with your first child and with your search.
Old 10-25-13, 01:28 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Skip the RAV4 and the CRV.
my vote is for the RX350 or a used GX 460 ( 1-2 yr old)

sticking with a $50,000 price tag, there's a lot out there that can give you more bang for your bucks.
consider the Honda Pilot and the Odyssey.
test drive the Infiniti JX 35 as well

Last edited by markrivers; 10-25-13 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 06:42 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I would go with the RDX, good all around performer and you can pccket the roughly $10k over a similar RX.
Old 10-25-13, 07:37 AM
ehfour
Driver School Candidate

Recently went through a similar choice, when it was time to replace our RX330

We have 2 kids- 3 and 6 so we have a fair amount of gear. Crossed shopped MDX, Sienna, Odyssey, and ML350. We ended up purchased a 2010 RX touring-

We ended up eliminating the Sienna and Odyssey as we deemed their
  • Dismal gas mileage
  • Cheap plastic interior
  • Soccer mom mentaility
as deal breakers, plus we didn't want to be other peoples chauffeurs

ML350 was eliminated once we test drove it and did some research on what is typical German repair and maintenance costs

MDX was a close second, while I like the look of the MY10+ We didn't like the build quality of the suv.
The door handles reminded me of my 05 TSX, light and cheap.
Inside the cabin, I found it to busy/cluttered with buttons, plus the interior felt very cramped, and the 3rd row of seat , it was so small its useless up or down.

The drive exp was a plus, even with the Sport suspension, that engine has some get up and go.

Having said all that, the best thing to do, is get out there and test drive them all. You know what you're comfortable paying a premium for and what you're not.

Depending on the car, consider that not all rear facing infant seats cannot be mounted in the center rear seat, check in the owners manual.

If it cant, unless your spouse is under 5 ft tall, they will be forced to sit with their seat all the way forward regardless of the SUV you choose. Any minivan will not have this issue

Good luck and dont forget, its just a SUV/Van and it wont be the last one that you buy

Last edited by ehfour; 10-25-13 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 07:31 PM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kyrra
The wife and I have been shopping around a bit for a new car and I am looking for some input from RX owners. We currently own a '97 Camry and '96 Saturn SL2. We haven't had a great desire to buy, but with our first kid due in a few months, I wanted to get something newer and safer. The basic requirements I've been shooting for:
  • We would like to keep the car a long time (10 years or so)
  • We live in Texas, so we've mainly considered FWD cars.
  • Ability to actually haul stuff home when we do trips to stores like Ikea.
  • Room for 2 adults, 2 kid, and a 40 pound dog (if we road trip to visit family). While we only have 1 kid on the way now, we're shooting for a second in the next few years.
  • We don't offroad/camp at all really, so this will mainly be a city/highway car.
  • $50k or less

We've test driven a lot of different cars, but I'd say we're down to: RX350, Acura RDX, Acura MDX, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, or Subaru Forester. We've mainly avoided european cars due to reliability issues.

I understand the price range on their cars are quite different, but I could pocket a good $20k if we got a CR-V or similar over the RX or MDX. The RX has a nice trunk size, which is inbetween the RDX and MDX (which is why I'm considering both of those), but sadly the RX is priced very similarly to the MDX (and the MDX is a larger vehicle with a lot more space). The cheaper CUVs are still in the running as we would care less about it being damaged by the kid.

So my question to RX owners (and those that own similar cars) are:
  • Would you recommend the RX350 to someone with a new kid? (I worry about damage to those back seats from the carseat, food/drinks, etc..).
  • How do you like the RX for road-trips?
  • Anything else about the RX that you like over Acura's RDX and MDX?
I know you didn't mention this, but with $50k to spend and I know you can get a loaded one for a lot less, why not a Toyota Sienna? With a new kid coming, I'm sure you will appreciate the sliding rear doors and the lower cargo area in the back.
Old 10-26-13, 05:02 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At times I miss our old Sienna. The space inside was massive compared to the RX. If you plan on having more kids and keep vehicles a long time, it may make sense to look at a Sienna or similar.

I'd probably skip the CR-V, Rav4, & Forester. I recently drove a Rogue (similar) and took a long drive as passenger in a CR-V and the ride height advantage was nice compared to a car, but it was not comfortable at all after about 30 minutes.

Not sure why Forester was on your list, but if you like Subaru, the Outback is suprisingly large inside and sits a bit higher than a typical sedan (Camry). The ride seemed very comfortable on the test drives we took and we almost bought a new one before buying a 2010 RX CPO.

Of course a RX would be good for many reasons already stated, but it sounds like your looking to buy new and while you say $50K, it sort of sounds like you may not be that comfortable with that number.

I'd also take a look at the new Pathfinder. We were impressed but being a first year when we were buying, we felt more comfortable with the RX and the stellar reliability record.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-27-13, 02:59 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I've own an 06 mdx touring. Great car really reliable with out any issues. Now I own an 2011 rx 350 and I have a lil one too. To be honest I rather have the rx over the mdx, much smoother ride. I also drove a 2012 mdx elite and still prefer the rx over the mdx. The rav 4sport v6 is also a great car and great on gas as it takes 87 and has the same motor as the rx 350. The new rdx is also a great car. I trade my parents rav 4 in for a 2013 rdx. Gotta say the rdx is awesome thank god they got rid of the turbo and put a v6 motor in it. Overall the 3 car u listed are great but if u wanna save gas buy a 2013 rx 350 as it takes reg gas instead of premium.
Old 10-27-13, 06:02 PM
hkny79
Driver School Candidate

Similar situation as yours. But we have a second one on the way. Narrowed it down to mdx and rx350. At the end we got the rx350 because we were able to get the options we wanted and we would have to get the mdx advance to get some of those options which would make it alot pricier. Also the cabin on the rx350 much more luxurious feel than mdx. Take regular gas vs. premium so balances out the fuel efficiency. Mdx has 3rd row, but didnt seem like we would use it but that extra 3rd row does make it look like an extended minivan. look around on the threads you can probably land a deal on the 2013 rx350. Mdx had no specials. Always had Hondas/acuras and no problems , great cars. since I was purchasing it, I was also concerned about the transmissions with acura. At the end both great cars. Just depends on your preferences.
Old 10-28-13, 04:39 AM
euroja153
Driver

It is a tough call, I would cancel it down to the RX or MDX, the RDX is too small in my opinion.

I bought my RX in 2009 just before we had our first child, now we have 3 kids aged 4, 2 and 7 weeks. For anyone planning on 3 young kids be assured there is room in the second row to have 2 upright child seats and a rear facing infant seat.

I have gone to see the 2014 MDX, I like the space, but hate the exterior design. Indifferent about the interior (I am also indifferent about the RX interior). The good thing about the MDX is that its a new model, whereas the 3RX is quite old now, I like having new model cars

I have never owned an Acura so I cant say much about reliability, the Lexus has been very reliable so far for us. My parents owned Honda cars and they were reliable

If you think you may need third row seats and since you plan on keeping the car for a long time, go with the MDX. If you were only keeping the car for say 3 yrs then I would probabily say go with the RX. Thats what I would do if I were buying today

Last edited by euroja153; 10-28-13 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 08:47 AM
Kyrra
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. There is a lot of great feedback and comments in here.

To reply to some of the comments throughout this thread:
  • I'm considering the Subaru Forester (2014) as it's been winning in car reviews. It's the top rated small-SUV on Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, and lots of other car review sites. When we test drove it, I wasn't a huge fan of the CVT, but it was a decent ride with amazing visibility (hurray for boxy design).
  • I like the RDX, but with its body shape, cargo room behind the 2nd row suffers. With a kid, I may have to toss this car out of the running.
  • Whlie we both like the MDX, it's a pretty big car compared to a CRV or Lexus RX. Around 10-14 inches longer than both, and 2-5 inches wider than everything else we're looking at. I think we want to stay smaller for this car.
  • My other issue with the 2014 MDX is that it is a new model. I've read a lot of the forums/reviews on it, and from what I've seen, it has a great powertrain and is fun to drive. It also has a smooth ride. My main issue with this car is its center-stack controls. Almost everything is done through the touchscreen which takes 2 seconds to respond to anything you do on it. There are a lot of software complaints about that car.
  • As for cost, I'm hesitant to spend any amount of money on a car. Not having a car payment forever makes me not want to buy anything. Whatever we buy, I'll probably get a loan for it, then pay it off entirely within the first year (after I make sure we don't have any other large expenses related to the new kid).
  • Part of me wants to wait a year before buying a larger SUV or minivan. The 2014 Highlander is probably landing in Q1 2014, I'm also expecting the 2015 Pilot to come out Mid-to-late 2014. Both SUVs are full refreshes. (I also am not too fond of either the current gen Highlander or Pilot).
  • After talking it over some, we'll probably be getting second new car in the next few years (as both our current cars are ancient). So if we need something a lot bigger (minivan size or similar) we'll get it when we replace the 2nd car. So whatever we buy now won't need to be replaced, it'll just become out driving-around-town car (or so that's the current plan).

Just to add, I've test driven the following so far: Enclave, Pilot, CRV, Highlander, Rav4, CX-5, CX-9, Santa Fe, RX350, RDX, MDX, Forester, and Outback. (We've been car-hunting for a while).
Old 10-28-13, 09:36 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ You did your research. Good job!

Be careful with the car magazines and enthusiast review.
Most of the times, you won't be driving that way.
You'll be stuck in traffic or moving around town with kids, NOT doing a zero to 60 from a stop light to the next.

Also consider the "luxury" component of your purchase. I know it may not be important to some people.
BUT personally, i put a limit on mass market cars, which means if it goes over a certain amount, say $35,000, then it's time to consider the luxury counterpart.

The Subaru has gotten great reviews, but how long have you stayed inside it? are you satisfied with the interior? and to get all the bells and whistles like navigation etc, you'll be paying a premium price.
Now, if you say symmetrical AWD is important to you ( but you live in TEXAS), then i won't question your choice.

Based on your financial consideration, if i was in your shoes, i'll purchase a 2-3 yr old car instead with low miles and within warranty. It will be the best bang for your bucks.
Old 10-28-13, 05:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ Agreed! Consider a CPO RX - it can go for the same price as a Forester and if you want extra smoothness, quietness, and fuel economy, RX450h can fit the bill.

AFter your great explanation and research, you seem to want a compact SUV, with low operating cost, and it must be reliable for many years. Flip a coin, pick the Rav4 or CRV as they are hands down the best for you. Mazdas, stay away as they have engine and rust issues. Forester, well, the 2.5L 4 boxer engines have had some issues with cylinder misfires/timing and the like. A friend of mine had these issues early on and can't wait for his lease to end. He's also not content with the noisy unrefined highway ride and interior fit and finish. The 2014 Forester has improved on these though, but the engine is carryover.

Good luck and keep us posted regardless of whether you go for an RX or not.
Old 10-28-13, 05:53 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there, and i decided to get RX350. A big different though.

I dont have 2 kids, i bought RX350 for 2 kids in mind

I had a newborn

I love the soft ride, tight turning circle, feather steering wheel

I love the silence, the isolation feel on the high way

I love how reliable Lexus is, and it is still a Luxury brand

I love how well Lexus keep their resale value, and if I do happen to need more room. I hear 2016 RX370 will be bigger, longer, possibly with 3rd row option. May consider High Lander, or MDX. I dislike MDX ride.

I love RX350 for the only Luxury CUV you use 87 on it.

If I was you, I would test drive MDX base model, and see how it goes. I would pick MDX, new one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing a CUV (RX, RDX, MDX) with a kid on the way